Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I was driving very clean graphite 2011 Mazda 3 2.5L hatch with tinted windows that I was incredibly happy with it. This week, thanks to a van driver who tried to cut across three lanes of traffic and killed my Mazda ($11,400 in damage), I'm driving a jacked up bright orange Subaru. If you'd told me just a week ago that an orange Subaru was in my future I'd have laughed hysterically but it was some sort of unexplainable love at first sight.

Progressive insurance did a rare thing for an insurance company and actually treated me pretty fairly, my credit union people were awesome too, and in less than a week I was ready to close on a new car. It was looking pretty desperate even with the insurance issue being resolved since there wasn't anything (at a reasonable price) that I really wanted. I was happy to stumble across the CrossTrek late in my search.

I have the premium with navigation and auto-dimming rearview mirror w/compass, rear bumper cover, matte black XUV splash guard, all-weather floor mats rear seatback protector. The only miles it had on it were the one's I put there during my test drive. The dealer offered me the car at over two grand under sticker price (in fact below the lowest price on truecar.com) and the deal was done in 45 minutes.

This is going to be a road trip machine for us and it may be the best vehicle made for that at the moment. I love the handling and AWD, the clearance, and being able to theoretically drive from Houston to Colorado on a couple tanks of gas. That's awesome. Safety is important too as you might expect after getting a face full of Chevy van. Like the Mazda, it feels like I got a lot more car than I paid for, and that makes me happy.

RIP Mazda

·
Registered
500 Posts
Congratulations on the XV! I hate that you found it the way you did, but enjoy the vehicle anyway!

I'm guessing the Mazda kept you safe enough that there were no big issues?

I'm sure you've found by now, but the Subaru frames are incredibly solid when it comes to protecting what's inside them. I'll try to remember to look for the article later, but basically their frames are reinforced so heavily that emergency responders have had to find new ways to get into the Subarus as the jaws of life - if you'll pardon the pun - just won't cut it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't complain about the Mazda. I walked away uninjured and the three people in the van that hit me went to the hospital by ambulance. Their injuries were minor but I had none. The wreck took out a good chunk of the front end. The engine was pushed back and smashed a bit, and the frame was a foot shorter on the driver's side. Three drivers hit me in two years with that car so no more stealth look for me. It's jacked up and orange from here on out. If they can't see me now...

·
Registered
500 Posts
haha glad to hear that.

And I've always found that to be a solid argument for the bright orange/yellow vehicles on the road... so hard to miss.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Welcome to the site, OrangeXV! Sounds like the Maza was a good car for you and sorry about what happened, but I think the Crosstrek will easily step up to the task.

chasem said:
I'm sure you've found by now, but the Subaru frames are incredibly solid when it comes to protecting what's inside them. I'll try to remember to look for the article later, but basically their frames are reinforced so heavily that emergency responders have had to find new ways to get into the Subarus as the jaws of life - if you'll pardon the pun - just won't cut it.
Very interesting, please try to find that article!

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
Welcome to the site, OrangeXV! Sounds like the Maza was a good car for you and sorry about what happened, but I think the Crosstrek will easily step up to the task.

chasem said:
Very interesting, please try to find that article!
It's been in the sticky thread for a while now

second link
http://clubcrosstrek.com/index.php/topic,7.msg1390.html#msg1390

Also relevant:
Subaru Ring-Shaped Reinforcement Frame - Drive Magazine
http://moojohn.com/subaru/extract.pdf

Proof that Subaru is right up there with Volvo when it comes to safety technology ;D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got said:
Other drivers will see you in the orange XV.
Yeah it gets a lot of looks. One guy even walked up to me while I was waiting for a friend and asked if he could open the rear doors and check it out.

·
Registered
500 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts