Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the guidance for this thread says, you always hear the horror stories...so, here is my review of the dealership where I bought my XV.

I'm a military guy, so I was using the USAA car buying service to find my car. Two dealerships answered my request for details. The nearest one was Huffines Subaru in Denton, Tx; just north of Dallas, 110 miles from my house.

The other dealership was another 35 miles down the road in McKinney, Tx. My plan was to buy from the dealership in McKinney (who was very upfront with their deal on the phone, so nothing negative, just another 70miles round trip to get there). So, I stopped at the nearest dealer (Huffines) to get a good look at the XV, and have a test drive.

So, I got my test drive, and over the next two hours I talked with the folks at Huffines, and on the phone with the other dealership. In the end, I got the deal I wanted from Huffines. Some of the parts, required to make the car I bought match the specs of the one at the other dealership, had to be ordered. So, because I had to come back 220 miles, round trip, to have the parts installed, the sales manager said he would fill up my tank when I came back. Kind of a little thing in the big picture of the cost of a car...but the little things can make a big difference.

Here's hoping "... this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
I don't wanna derail the thread, but I'm curious how much easier does the USAA car buying service make a car purchase compared to not using them???

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'll tell you the story of the my wife's new Hyundai Santa Fe...because it is a better story. Here goes...we went to the Hyundai dealer and found the car we wanted. We were downsizing from our Buick Enclave, so that was the trade-in. Anyhow, the dealer took a look at the Enclave and said he'd do $23.5k for the Enclave and $33.5k on the Santa Fe.

We went home to talk about the car, and check on loan approval/insurance costs with USAA. After getting the info I wanted, the USAA person on the phone asked if I'd checked out the USAA car buying program. I said I hadn't, so she walked me through the process. Anyway, it was easy, but you need to know what specs you want on your car first, so my timing was just right. USAA sent off the model specs on the car we wanted, and two dealerships replied. The USAA target price was $30.5k, and both dealerships said they would sell at the USAA target price. In addition, the dealership in Denton, Tx, said they would give me $25k for the Enclave, sight unseen.

The dealership in Wichita Falls, which was not on the USAA list of dealers, said they would meet the deal offered at the Denton dealership...so I went with the local dealer.

Additionally, if you go with a dealership used by USAA (you don't ever see the list, you just thump in your address and USAA finds their nearest dealers) you get .5 taken off your load APR. For me, the loan rate was 2.25%, so if I bought at Denton, my rate would have been 1.75%. The Wichita Falls dealership also said they would beat that too...so I ended up with 1.74%.

None of this would have happened without the USAA car buying program...so I really like it.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Wow, that's quite an improvement in price! Thanks for the heads-up

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it was a great deal with the Santa Fe.

Now, with the low density-high demand XV, it wasn't so dramatic. Target price on USAA, in my area, was $24.something k. But even then, it cuts through the "I wonder what they'd take?" window, straight to "Ok, now that I know both of you (USAA gives you two dealerships) are willing to sell at xxxx price, who really wants my business?". That was very helpful.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Just scoped this thread. So I am late to the Huffines Party!! :)

I also want to give a hardy two thumbs up for Huffines in Denton TX. I had worked with their fleet Mgr at the Lewisville location before, but never the Denton peeps. The whole process was very painless. I had no trade in so the deal was a basic $500 over dealer invoice (with a few concessions on DOC fees) and I was gone. On the day of delivery it only took 15 minutes to sing the papers and drive off with the new XV. Easy peasy lemon squeezy buying deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts