Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked my hybrid up this past Sunday and then on Tuesday DC was hit by a wicked cold snap with temperatures average 10~20 during the day.

Monday, when it was nice out the Hybrid was working fine (IE EV coming on while stopped at lights etc) but the past few days I haven't gotten it to go in EV mode even after the engine is warmed up (IE the blue light comes off). My gas mileage has been hovering around 26MPG - way under the 31 combined I should be getting. I don't have a heavy foot so I know it's not me flooring it.

Is anyone else noticing similar performance in the cold?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't know if this is the issue - but any form of defroster setting will keep the auto-stop from happening. This is full defrost and the other kinds with air shared to the floor/etc.

I can sit at a light with defrost on - turn to floor only and the engine stops instantly.

Hope that helps - if not let us know so we can all figure it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I did some more investigating and read my manual - I'm going to blame the extreme cold for lack of performance. Today it finally warmed up to a balmy 30 degrees and it's doing as it should.

I read the manual and here are the cases that will cause the car NOT to go into EV mode:

A/C is on (not relevant now but the defroster uses the A/C so see the next point)
Front defroster is on (either if the button is pressed or you're in the defrost/foot heat mode)
Engine is too cold
Temperature is below 14 degrees Fahrenheit (Manual says it *may* go on if below that threshold)
If the cabin temperature is drastically different what you have set for the auto climate control (IE it's on full blast trying to heat/cool the car)

Also as a side note I also am in the NOVA area with the hybrid touring in quartz blue. Hopefully when you get your car back I'll see you around! ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Before I bought mine I called Subaru and asked specifically if the AC stayed on when the engine goes off (EV) - and the answer was yes, but in a degraded mode. My old Escape Hybrid would turn the AC off at lights and that was no fun on a hot day.

Cant wait for spring to test out a few things.

I'll look out for your car too - mine will be the clean one since it may be the only Subaru to not have been driven in this wintery mess :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
At 0F going down a hill is it charging the traction battery ?
If you start going up a hill is it discharging the traction battery ?

My prius will do this although a cold traction battery causes the system to take it easy until it warms up.

The prius is also unusable during most of the winter getting up my icy 1200' driveway.

I was thinking of getting the Crosstrek Hybrid but one dealership had it in the show room, another didn't seem all that interested in having me test drive it.

I ended up buying a used Outback '10 and it's great for hauling stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have to say the Crosstrek Hybrid on the surface is a very functional and capable vehicle.... however the engineers need to spend less time on different “idiot” screens and more time in drive ability . To many quirks ,to many screens telling the same story, hesitation on acceleration, and the fact their are times I wish I could just flick the kill switch myself.... as it will not go into EV due to not being in the exact mode I need to be in. Next time “if” we get another it will be a 6 speed manual..... without the technologies . Honestly kind of sad my 2004 Jetta gas gets better fuel economy .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Before I bought mine I called Subaru and asked specifically if the AC stayed on when the engine goes off (EV) - and the answer was yes, but in a degraded mode. My old Escape Hybrid would turn the AC off at lights and that was no fun on a hot day.

Cant wait for spring to test out a few things.

I'll look out for your car too - mine will be the clean one since it may be the only Subaru to not have been driven in this wintery mess :)
Did you find a TESLA to mate with?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts