Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EDIT:
Disclaimer: as I have said a million times, I am coming from an Outback Sport that was built in 2002, so my impression of everything is in contrast to that. However I will say I have driven a lot of different cars, old and new, so I believe I have a good feel for them.

Ok, I took some more pics today, though they aren't anything any of us haven't seen before, I still want to share:

It hasn't even been 24 hours but you all will be happy to know I still like the car a whole lot :).

Interior:
- I am a big fan of black interiors, but with Crystal Black Silica exterior my only option was the taupe. I have to say that the brightness of it in contrast to the black paint job is really appealing and growing on me -- I am happy with it.
- The steering wheel controls are great (I am not used to having that luxury). They are responsive and do everything I need them to do.
- The dash controls are, as a lot of reviews have said, very basic, but I don't care. They do what I want them to do and that's all that really matters. Dual climate control and a nicer radio readout would definitely be appreciated, but to me not a necessity.
- The interior has a lot more room than my old Outback Sport. We had three 6ft+ men in there with no problem.
- One of our users said he had an issue with the placement of the windshield wipers. I hit a little rain last night and got to use them and I have to say they don't seem to bother me, at least on low speed. I get what he was saying about where they are placed, though.
- I have the basic, stock sound system and it is fine for my needs. I may look into doing an aftermarket upgrade at some point, but anything is better than what I had.
- The bluetooth connectivity works great with my Droid Razr. I am able to stream music as well as place and answer calls. The car and phone automatically pair every time I get in the car (after initial setup) without any issues.
- The heated seats work great, the A/C blows cold and the heat blows hot.

Exterior:
- The car simply looks great. I love the wheels, the body cladding, the stance...everything. Not much to say here except that I am very happy with it.

Transmission/Power:
- The 148hp, 145ft/lb engine is doing fine keeping up with me. I am getting used to how to drive the CVT but so far I am really liking it. There does seem to be a little lag from a dead stop every once in a while, especially right when switching from reverse into drive, however, it is hardly noticeable.
- The paddle shifters are neat and all, but I don't see them coming into play that often. I feel you can get the same results for accelerating/passing once you learn to drive the CVT and let it do its thing.
- I am in VERY flat southeastern North Carolina on a job so there aren't any mountains, or really any hills for that matter, to test the Crosstrek on. However, I feel like with the responsiveness and power I am feeling from the engine that the Crosstrek will do just fine tackling the steep inclines.

Drive:
- The Crosstrek's seats are very comfortable, however, there is a lack of lumbar support which would be nice to have.
- Around town the Crosstrek is a very smooth ride and remains quiet. On the highway the noise does pick up quite a bit but it doesn't bother me that much -- I'll just have to turn the music up louder!

There are some good drive-on beaches here that I plan on taking the Crosstrek out onto within the next week or so to see how it does in deep, rutted sand.

The first week in January I will be done with my job in NC and will be hitting the road back to Los Angeles, about a 2,800 mile drive. I will be doing a full report on the Crosstrek's road trip capabilities at that point.

That's everything I have to say for now, but please feel free to ask specific questions and I will do my best to give you an answer to them.

[hr]
I just arrived home from the dealership with my brand new Crystal Black Silica Crosstrek. It is too dark now to get any good pictures, so this phone shot will have to suffice until tomorrow.

I got a pretty basic package, CVT with moonroof and all weather mats. I will probably add on the roof rack crossbars and maybe a mesh grille for looks within the next few weeks.

Initial thoughts: I love it. I'll post a lot more tomorrow. ;D

·
Registered
31 Posts
The XV in black is really sharp. Did you trade in the '03 for the '13? Enjoy your new scooby! Today, I purchased some rear nets for my dad's Crosstrek as a x-mas present.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
catric69 said:
The XV in black is really sharp. Did you trade in the '03 for the '13? Enjoy your new scooby! Today, I purchased some rear nets for my dad's Crosstrek as a x-mas present.
Yeah, did a trade in for what I thought was a good deal. I spent almost 5 hours at the dealer between test drive, haggling and paperwork, but it was all worth it!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Twist2Stop said:
Congrats dude! How does the space inside compare to your old Subaru?
Definitely more room than the old OBS. Had three 6–foot+ adults in (6'3" in rear) and had no problem with space. Also way peppier than the OBS. Full report coming tomorrow as long as time grants it.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
Twist2Stop said:
Congrats dude! How does the space inside compare to your old Subaru?
Definitely more room than the old OBS. Had three 6–foot+ adults in (6'3" in rear) and had no problem with space. Also way peppier than the OBS. Full report coming tomorrow as long as time grants it.
Peppier? Is that due to the CVT? Also, across the rev-range, how does the response compare to the SOHC EJ25 in your old Outback Sport?

My experience with the non-turbo SOHC EJ25 is that it doesn't like to rev, and is very torquey at the low-rev range.
My experience with the non-turbo DOHC (like the FB engines) EJ25 is that it really likes to rev, but low-end torque feels less than the non-turbo SOHC EJ25 engines. Also, DOHC EJ25s sound better than the SOHC engines.

What I'm hoping is that the FB engine in the XV Crosstrek is just as lively as the DOHC engine in my old Outback, in terms of top-end power, and sound.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AWDfreak said:
Peppier? Is that due to the CVT? Also, across the rev-range, how does the response compare to the SOHC EJ25 in your old Outback Sport?

My experience with the non-turbo SOHC EJ25 is that it doesn't like to rev, and is very torquey at the low-rev range.
My experience with the non-turbo DOHC (like the FB engines) EJ25 is that it really likes to rev, but low-end torque feels less than the non-turbo SOHC EJ25 engines. Also, DOHC EJ25s sound better than the SOHC engines.

What I'm hoping is that the FB engine in the XV Crosstrek is just as lively as the DOHC engine in my old Outback, in terms of top-end power, and sound.
I think the peppiness comes from both having a much better transmission compared to my old OBS 4-speed auto as well as 10+ years of refinement and innovation of the 4-cyl Boxer engine -- car manufacturers can just do so much more with engines these days. Reviewers will say what they want about the Crosstrek CVT, but I love it. Maybe it's just because I haven't driven a "good" CVT before so I have nothing to compare it to, but so far I am enjoying it.

I would say the OBS had a bit of torque in the low range, maybe due to its 2.5L of displacement, but I feel that the Crosstrek has just as much if not more, even with its 2.0L and ~30 less ft/lb of torque. The Crosstrek definitely seems to get up and go much quicker than my OBS (though in my research it looks like the 0-60 is about the same between the Crosstrek and OBS.)

The responsiveness of the CVT only seems to really ever lag right from a dead stop, but I am sure as I learn to adapt and drive it the lag will become less and less noticeable -- it certainly isn't an issue that concerns me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The black looks awesome... but there's no way I could have a light interior. With the dogs, hiking, mud runs and obstacle course races, I had to have a dark interior. Plus, I love my Tangerine Orange exterior, but if I was going to choose a different color, it would have been black. Congratulations.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Moonray13 said:
The black looks awesome... but there's no way I could have a light interior. With the dogs, hiking, mud runs and obstacle course races, I had to have a dark interior. Plus, I love my Tangerine Orange exterior, but if I was going to choose a different color, it would have been black. Congratulations.
My one gripe is the stupidity of Subaru for not offering a dark color interior as an option for a car advertised towards outdoorsy people. I will make an absolute mess with all of the stuff I do between dogs, mountain biking, motocross, snowboarding....etc. I pick the car up in 6 days and plan to put these towel cover things on for the moment. I am contemplating the Wetokole seat covers or just having leather put in.

edit: I know some colors come with a dark offering, but not the Venetian red pearl I am looking at.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Some cars have this material that just gets caught in dog nails and either makes those little fuzz balls or gets torn up all together. I am very interested to hear how they hold up for you dog owners.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm just folding the rear seats flat with the dogs in the car. They won't get the chance to ruin the upholstery, just the cheap carpet mats in the back.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Moonray13 said:
I'm just folding the rear seats flat with the dogs in the car. They won't get the chance to ruin the upholstery, just the cheap carpet mats in the back.
Yeah, that's my plan for now. I have an 80lb mutt that loves going for a ride so I will have to do something. I also have a car hammock (like seen here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Back-Car-Seat-Pet-Dog-Safe-Safety-Travel-Hammock-Cover-Mat-Blanket-BLACK-/280865803394?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4164e80c82) that I use when I actually plan ahead, but a lot of times I don't feel like messing with it. I am looking into Wet Okole seat covers, or going OEM Subaru covers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
wow....looks GREAT man, i am so jealous. i love the black, but I think i am going to go with the satin white pearl on mine.

so, after a few days of ownership, do you still like it? :p

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CouchPotato said:
wow....looks GREAT man, i am so jealous. i love the black, but I think i am going to go with the satin white pearl on mine.

so, after a few days of ownership, do you still like it? :p
Satin white pearl = amazing color, great choice! Ha, yes after a whole five, almost six, days of ownership, I still love the car. Granted, most of my driving has been to work in the morning, to home at night, and to the gym a couple of times. This weekend I hope to drive it a little more and may even take it out on the beach. I'll report back.

When do you plan on purchasing one?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tech707 said:
Moonray13 said:
My one gripe is the stupidity of Subaru for not offering a dark color interior as an option for a car advertised towards outdoorsy people. I will make an absolute mess with all of the stuff I do between dogs, mountain biking, motocross, snowboarding....etc. I pick the car up in 6 days and plan to put these towel cover things on for the moment. I am contemplating the Wetokole seat covers or just having leather put in.

edit: I know some colors come with a dark offering, but not the Venetian red pearl I am looking at.
I wanted black and started to think my dark gray looks practically black but I do have to say the real black looks really sharp. I personally believe every vehicle looks better in black but like Moonray, with dark-haired dogs and mud and sand, I need a dark interior.

I also agree with Tech707, what was Subaru thinking in offering such limited combinations with dark interiors when the vehicle is marketed at active people? Also, as I researched the Crosstrek I saw all these awesome looking red cars with black interiors in the YouTube videos. I wondered if they were European models or something?

And to top it off my dealership actually had a car on the floor for a couple weeks, so you could sit in it, mess with it, test the cargo space etc. What color combo was it? Red with black interior! I was told it was a pre-production model that is touring the Pacific Northwest and there was no way I could buy it. It was totally gorgeous and would have been my second choice after black, or maybe even my first choice. It was such a tease...

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, the red with black sounds nice, a shame you couldn't get it!

My taupe interior has actually grown on me quite a lot. My dog is brown so the taupe really hides his hair pretty well. However, my black exterior has been annoying on me because it seems so hard to keep clean! Every little thing shows up on it. I still love the color, though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
Wow, the red with black sounds nice, a shame you couldn't get it!

My taupe interior has actually grown on me quite a lot. My dog is brown so the taupe really hides his hair pretty well. However, my black exterior has been annoying on me because it seems so hard to keep clean! Every little thing shows up on it. I still love the color, though.
The first car I owned was black.....never again. I loved the look of it, but if you looked at it wrong it would get dirty.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts