Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Trekkers,

So, wondering if there's any ideas out there for protecting the door sills. I know they make nice ones for the flat sill. But, I'm not talking about the flat sill.. I'm talking about the section that rises just above that. You know the one.. the one that every kicks and gets black scuff marks all over it. :mad:

(see the yellow outline in attached photo).

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
1. Order out a black one from the other model color.
2. Step over it.

;)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Those are good options! In reality there's not much you can do to protect the current one other than be careful. Or you could invest in some nice Redwing work boots with the white wedge sole so they don't leave black marks!

You could very easily swap that trim part out for the black ones which probably wouldn't look bad but might cost a bit.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Looks like the sill trim pieces are less than $7. I would say drive the car and when/if they get scuffed to dirty beyond desire then just replace them.

Item 17 from the diagram, from a '12 Impreza. Sill cover, front, back, left, right, in black or ivory.
link to online parts source: www.subaruonlineparts.com

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! Excellent inputs and thank you very much for providing the parts spec! You guys rock!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I have been wondering about this for a while but haven't gotten around to taking a picture and asking, so thank you for doing so.

I would be interested in some kind of metal replacement, but not sure how it would look. Seems like it could be had for cheap, though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
I have been wondering about this for a while but haven't gotten around to taking a picture and asking, so thank you for doing so.

I would be interested in some kind of metal replacement, but not sure how it would look. Seems like it could be had for cheap, though.

I guess I'm not getting what the issue is. All cars have these, even a $50K-plus BMW or Mercedes, and they're plastic. If you drag your feet across them they do get scuffed, gut can generally be cleaned and kept looking appropriately. Don't forget to treat interior materials with 303 protectant - that will keep everything looking as new.

A metal piece would also scuff, be it aluminum or powder-coated steel. Highly polished aluminum scratches and scuffs even easier than the plastic.

Ah, perhaps it's the high sills as part of the design. Since it's a utility vehicle that will go off pavement it is designed with higher sills making it easier to drag your feet getting in and out.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
CJBROWN said:
ClubCrosstrek said:

I guess I'm not getting what the issue is. All cars have these, even a $50K-plus BMW or Mercedes, and they're plastic. If you drag your feet across them they do get scuffed, gut can generally be cleaned and kept looking appropriately. Don't forget to treat interior materials with 303 protectant - that will keep everything looking as new.

A metal piece would also scuff, be it aluminum or powder-coated steel. Highly polished aluminum scratches and scuffs even easier than the plastic.

Ah, perhaps it's the high sills as part of the design. Since it's a utility vehicle that will go off pavement it is designed with higher sills making it easier to drag your feet getting in and out.
I wouldn't call it an issue really, more of just for aesthetics I guess. I like the idea of it being more durable.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right there with you Trek. For me, it's simply about minimizing all the little bits and pieces of wear, tear now, while the car is still in immaculate condition. But... I tend to do this with all my cars. I just sold my 04 Tacoma TRD SR5 4x4 double cab. In pristine condition with just 90k on it (only 2% of cars on the road are like this). Got full asking price and the guy bought it cash on he spot :)

So for me...The benefits of "An ounce of prevention now saves me a ton of cure later" seems to work out well.

Anyway, thanks for he great ideas out there!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts