Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've generally been very stubborn and stuck with manual transmissions the past 7 years. But, I'm under the realization that I am now open enough to accept having an automatic transmission as a daily driver.

As much as I love manual transmissions, a friend of mine brought up the topic of ICE-electric hybrids. I immediately thought of the Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid.

I've noticed that the Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid cannot utilize the HOV (Carpool) lanes in the State of California as it is not a plug-in ICE-electric (internal combustion engine-electric) hybrid. If it was offered with a plug-in version, it would qualify for the State of California's Green Clean Air Vehicle Decal, which would authorize HOV/carpool use as a solo driver.

If Subaru did offer a plug-in version of the Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid that authorized you to use HOV/carpool lanes during enforcement hours as a solo driver, would you consider purchasing and/or trading in your current Crosstrek for one?

As some of you may know, I drive 1200 miles a week. A good portion of it is stop-and-go traffic on my way home. I used to be stubborn and not value fuel efficiency, but as I have quickly found out, fuel efficiency is massively important on such a long commute.

Not only that, because of the long commute, flying past most traffic legally in the HOV/carpool has been something I've been unable to do in my 5MT gasoline-only Crosstrek when enforcement hours of the HOV/carpool lanes begin.

Although I have done a lot to my Crosstrek and am very attached to it, I would seriously consider trading in my current Crosstrek for a Crosstrek Hybrid if it retains the fun-to-drive nature, competent handling, class-leading off-road capability, and reasonably-good fuel economy.

Ideally, I would love to have both but I am currently not in a position to have a gasoline and ICE-electric version at once.

·
Registered
811 Posts
If I was in your situation, I would seriously consider it. I would have to find the right balance between paying extra for the hybrid option and what the payback time would be (which wouldn't be worth it based on that fact alone IMO) and the time I would potentially save on the commute.

Have you considered moving closer to where you work? LOL

·
Registered
318 Posts
At 1200 miles a week I would seriously consider a Chevy Volt or something more purpose-built for high-economy highway miles.

Any Subaru with ground clearance is going to struggle with aerodynamics and AWD is just unnecessary weight/friction in a highway scenario.

Maybe a plug-in Impreza or Legacy if you must have AWD but if you must have ground clearance as well I'd have a Volt for the day to day stuff and an off roader for the weekends.

But to sum up: I guess an Xtrek plug-in would do a better job of mixing the two than anything else available.

·
Super Moderator
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the calculations, and hypothetically, my break-even point would be somewhere around 3-4 years if I had purchased the 2015 model year Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid instead.

I've been commuting to school with my mega-commute for almost a year now. Long story short, it's more optimal for me to live in the SF Bay Area with my current situation than to move to the school's metropolitan area.

A purpose-built vehicle for MPG would be optimal, but I am an extreme Subaru fanatic that (as you can already tell) is also very stubborn.

It's a bit unfortunate that high ground clearance and AWD, traits that I desire, detract from good MPG.

And that is indeed the conclusion I came to, that a plug-in version of the Crosstrek Hybrid would best suit my needs. My pipe dream would be a manual transmission version of the Crosstrek Hybrid, but I know all too well that is an impossible dream for a factory-built vehicle.

I think at this point in my life, I'll stubbornly stick with my gasoline-only manual transmission Crosstrek until I have sufficient income to get a potential plug-in hybrid version of the Crosstrek (and my eventual purchase of a third vehicle, a Subaru Forester XT for all-purpose weekend fun vehicle).

As for the original topic at hand, is really nobody interested in a plug-in hybrid version of the Crosstrek that could potentially offer permitted solo HOV-lane use???

·
Registered
318 Posts
I definitely hear you on the Subaru loyalty.

And in reality the best plug-in hybrids are still stuck around 30-50 miles of electric-only range. Once that's used up the best you can hope for is 35-40 MPG.

I still question the overall friendliness of a hybrid vehicle when you consider not only extra cost but also that lithium battery production is a filthy business.

There are sections of China and Canada that will likely be sterile for the next 10,000 years due to lithium mining.

Personally, I'd get the F out of California. That place is loco.

·
Super Moderator
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I definitely hear you on the Subaru loyalty.

And in reality the best plug-in hybrids are still stuck around 30-50 miles of electric-only range. Once that's used up the best you can hope for is 35-40 MPG.

I still question the overall friendliness of a hybrid vehicle when you consider not only extra cost but also that lithium battery production is a filthy business.

There are sections of China and Canada that will likely be sterile for the next 10,000 years due to lithium mining.

Personally, I'd get the F out of California. That place is loco.
Those 30-50 miles in electric only in bumper-to-bumper stop-and-go traffic would help immensely.

Although I'm no extremist environmentalist, I do wish to minimize my impact on the earth in practical manners. I'm primarily interested in the ICE-electric hybrid for the fuel economy, but I am also aware the batteries can pose an environmental problem.

And I would LOVE to get out of the state of California, but I will not have the means to do so anytime soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If it had the sort of range and performance on battery that, say, the Chevy Volt does? Hell yes. It would turn my every day commute totally gas free.

And I don't even use HOV lanes on my commute.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Although I have done a lot to my Crosstrek and am very attached to it, I would seriously consider trading in my current Crosstrek for a Crosstrek Hybrid if it retains the fun-to-drive nature, competent handling, class-leading off-road capability, and reasonably-good fuel economy.
So we had a 12 impreza and traded that in for a trek hyrid, Mainly because it included some features we wanted and retained cloth seats (we h8 leather) one of the main perks I've found aside from the mileage is around 10% more power. It was noticeable both in contrast to our impreza and to other new treks we drove. The electric motor has torque right now so off the line you feel like you are moving quicker. As far as the mileage I wasn't thinking it would be a huge deal, and out on the highway, i'm not really sure that it is. but in town, if you drive it "right" you can get ridiculous gas mileage. that's a 10-12 mile trip around town that i was able to repeatedly run the EV battery completely out. If i'd have had more of a charge it would have been 45-49. the stop and go on the expressway i'm sure this would make a 10-20% increase in fuel economy to you. which i am sure is no small amount!

As some of you may know, I drive 1200 miles a week. A good portion of it is stop-and-go traffic on my way home. I used to be stubborn and not value fuel efficiency, but as I have quickly found out, fuel efficiency is massively important on such a long commute.
One small consideration, the hybrid tank is smaller, 13.7 vs 15 something in the regular trek. Tanks seem to last quick a bit longer for us though. our impreza was running 22-24 this winter on short trips and the trek is running 28+ during breakin

If Subaru did offer a plug-in version of the Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid that authorized you to use HOV/carpool lanes during enforcement hours as a solo driver, would you consider purchasing and/or trading in your current Crosstrek for one?
I never would have guessed I'd buy a hybrid. While I like efficiency I've never seen a scenario where a hybrid breaks even in a reasonable amount of miles. In this case we bought more for the included features since we were getting a great trade in on our impreza and a below sticker price on the hybrid, which made it very little in price difference to a trek premium with all the things we wanted optioned in. Plus, I don't think you can get the BSD,rear radar stuff without Eyesite in the premium and while the adaptive cruise is cool the lane departure thing was too overactive for any benefit.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The smaller fuel tank is indeed unfortunate, but I'm assuming that was done to make room for the batteries.

I value the additional fuel economy for the stop-and-go traffic, so refueling costs will be significantly cut compared to my current manual transmission Crosstrek. And I don't do the 1200 mile commute anymore, so there is even more stop-and-go traffic over here.

I too would love the hybrid for the additional features (like the once-exclusive quick-ratio steering for MY2014 and sport-tuned suspension), but I am disappointed that we don't get the XV Hybrid with EyeSight but Japan does :(

·
Registered
29 Posts
The smaller fuel tank is indeed unfortunate, but I'm assuming that was done to make room for the batteries.(
that and no spare :( at least there is a cubby for tow ropes and such

I value the additional fuel economy for the stop-and-go traffic, so refueling costs will be significantly cut compared to my current manual transmission Crosstrek. And I don't do the 1200 mile commute anymore, so there is even more stop-and-go traffic over here.(
well like i said it does amazing in city driving, it's rare that we come home with an indicated mileage of less than 35 and rarer still that it doesn't exceed 30 which is just crazy.

I too would love the hybrid for the additional features (like the once-exclusive quick-ratio steering for MY2014 and sport-tuned suspension), but I am disappointed that we don't get the XV Hybrid with EyeSight but Japan does :(
Eyesight is a PIA in my opinion. if it's foggy or if the centerline or outside line are obscured it will freak out and everyone I know that has it has turned the lane change thing off. the only thing i would want is the adaptive cruise and here in SD. traffic jams, in our 250,000 population town, are about 30 minutes long. And there is never stop and go on the interstates around town. it just doesn't happen. So it would never do anything for me.

·
Super Moderator
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that and no spare :( at least there is a cubby for tow ropes and such

well like i said it does amazing in city driving, it's rare that we come home with an indicated mileage of less than 35 and rarer still that it doesn't exceed 30 which is just crazy.

Eyesight is a PIA in my opinion. if it's foggy or if the centerline or outside line are obscured it will freak out and everyone I know that has it has turned the lane change thing off. the only thing i would want is the adaptive cruise and here in SD. traffic jams, in our 250,000 population town, are about 30 minutes long. And there is never stop and go on the interstates around town. it just doesn't happen. So it would never do anything for me.
Sounds like it works as intended then. It's not designed for severe inclement weather and the effectiveness of the lane tracking is entirely dependent upon how visible and well-marked the lane markings are.

I live in an area that sometimes has traffic jams that rival SoCal, so EyeSight's adaptive cruise control would be a welcome feature on days I would be too tired to deal with it. But I value EyeSight more for its convenience for additional safety capability for weekend/vacation trips that would encompass high mileage driving and have an increased chance of myself being tired.

Interesting is that I used to loathe such safety systems such as EyeSight, yet here I am desiring what I once hated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like it works as intended then. It's not designed for severe inclement weather and the effectiveness of the lane tracking is entirely dependent upon how visible and well-marked the lane markings are.

I live in an area that sometimes has traffic jams that rival SoCal, so EyeSight's adaptive cruise control would be a welcome feature on days I would be too tired to deal with it. But I value EyeSight more for its convenience for additional safety capability for weekend/vacation trips that would encompass high mileage driving and have an increased chance of myself being tired.

Interesting is that I used to loathe such safety systems such as EyeSight, yet here I am desiring what I once hated.
again, i have no problem with the adaptive cruise. it's just the lane change thing and the price. in the premium its a $3000 upgrade and for me the adaptive cruise, the few times it would actually come in handy would be limited. in town, if you run on cruise the EV never comes on until you brake. if you have cruise off it will come on for long stretches and really boosts the gas mileage. So in town even though i would like to, i rarely use cruise

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't have any experience with one, but the hybrid system in the new Chevy Volt sounds like an ideal setup from what I've read: plug in with about 120Km range, then a range extending gas engine if you exceed that. If Subaru could fashion a similar system but not compromise the "Subaru-ness" of the Crosstrek, that would be the perfect car in my mind. I would definitely get one. With a ~120Km EV range I think where I live and drive I would almost never use gas!

·
Super Moderator
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
An electric-only mechanical AWD mode would be nice but unfortunately I just don't see FHI wanting to do that. Maintaining the mechanical operation of AWD while being powered by an electric motor is the Subaru way of doing it, probably won't bring the efficiency most mainstream consumers would deem acceptable, though we can dream.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I saw a guy on the news somewhere in California recently, bragging about how the electric is free for his Tesla at various stops on the interstate. Of course , he probably paid 90k for it also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Now that a PHEV is indeed available, I'd like to revive this thread and re-ask this question: Would you consider getting the new PHEV offering from Subaru?

Personally, the answer is yes! I can't wait for it to be available here in Canada; not til the end of 2019, from what I understand.

But for those who have it available now, what do you think? I know there are always improvements people would rather see: -more power; -longer EV range; -more cargo space; -less expensive;
All valid points. But as executed, what do we think of the Crosstrek Hybrid? It is obviously the high-end of the model line offering, so has pretty well all the available features, hence the price.

I like the technology. I like the fact it maintains it's "Subaru-ness", as someone put it. It appears to be just as off-road capable as the gas only model.
The smaller cargo area may turn off some people. I can live with it easily.
The 17 mile EV range may be too small for many. For my commute, I could go all week without burning a drop of gas!

It's close to the perfect vehicle in my opinion. Later model years may slowly address some of the perceived shortcomings. And supposedly, there is a pure plug-in only model coming. Not sure how the "Subaru-ness" will be affected by that.

·
Super Moderator
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now that a PHEV is indeed available, I'd like to revive this thread and re-ask this question: Would you consider getting the new PHEV offering from Subaru?

Personally, the answer is yes! I can't wait for it to be available here in Canada; not til the end of 2019, from what I understand.

But for those who have it available now, what do you think? I know there are always improvements people would rather see: -more power; -longer EV range; -more cargo space; -less expensive;
All valid points. But as executed, what do we think of the Crosstrek Hybrid? It is obviously the high-end of the model line offering, so has pretty well all the available features, hence the price.

I like the technology. I like the fact it maintains it's "Subaru-ness", as someone put it. It appears to be just as off-road capable as the gas only model.
The smaller cargo area may turn off some people. I can live with it easily.
The 17 mile EV range may be too small for many. For my commute, I could go all week without burning a drop of gas!

It's close to the perfect vehicle in my opinion. Later model years may slowly address some of the perceived shortcomings. And supposedly, there is a pure plug-in only model coming. Not sure how the "Subaru-ness" will be affected by that.
I'm pretty excited by it.

Besides the stiffer suspension, the new one now supposedly has larger brakes.

The 17 mile EV range is just enough for me to make a big dent on my fuel costs.

However, I am still concerned about the huge initial cost vs payoff over time with fuel savings.

The feature that they finally implemented happened, you can get the PHEV with Subaru EyeSight.

The question I have for myself is, when the time comes I will get a 3rd generation Subaru XV to replace my 2nd generation one (2014 model year), will I still love driving a manual transmission enough to go with the 6-speed manual, or will the short-trip convenience of the PHEV and roadtrip safety of EyeSight convince me to abandon my loyalty and joy of driving a manual transmission?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Get the EyeSight! I can't imagine driving a car now without it. Not just the safety but the ACC, SRVD, and all the driver assist features. And of course X-mode. Best car I ever owned,... by far.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts