Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what i understand the Crosstrek has the same internals as the Impreza, correct? Does that mean that all of the engine management solutions available for Impreza/WRX's will be useable on the Crosstrek?

If so, will they really do anything to improve performance? i've never put a tuning chip on a non-aspirated engine before...

thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
The older turbocharged offerings from Subaru are all EJ turbo engines.

The XV uses the 3rd generation engine block, the FB engine. The only ECU that you could even consider from a turbo motor is the FA DIT. But that's a no go, as using an ECU for a non-turbo isn't optimal.

Engine management tuning tends to be very much expensive and time-consuming. Upgrading the power on the non-turbo-only FB engine would require at least new cams for a decent bump in power. Any aftermarket solutions for the FB motor are probably going to have to be custom-done, as the non-turbo performance community for Subarus is very lacking.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
AWDfreak said:
The older turbocharged offerings from Subaru are all EJ turbo engines.

The XV uses the 3rd generation engine block, the FB engine. The only ECU that you could even consider from a turbo motor is the FA DIT. But that's a no go, as using an ECU for a non-turbo isn't optimal.

Engine management tuning tends to be very much expensive and time-consuming. Upgrading the power on the non-turbo-only FB engine would require at least new cams for a decent bump in power. Any aftermarket solutions for the FB motor are probably going to have to be custom-done, as the non-turbo performance community for Subarus is very lacking.
Wow, thanks, the more you know. I kinda assumed there would be a preexisting ECU solution for the Crosstrek as well. Sounds like it won't really be an option, though, unless, of of course, they bring the turbo Crosstrek to the states.

Thanks for the info, you seem to know a lot about Subarus.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, shoot...that's disappointing. i wonder what kind of power mods will be available for the Crosstrek, if any?

edit - What I am actually more interested in is TORQUE over HP

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
Wow, thanks, the more you know. I kinda assumed there would be a preexisting ECU solution for the Crosstrek as well. Sounds like it won't really be an option, though, unless, of of course, they bring the turbo Crosstrek to the states.

Well, the FB engine is new, and unlike how the EJ engine was the do-all boxer-4 for Subaru, Subaru has segregated the 3rd generation engines (obviously, FB for economy, FA for performance).
Let's hope there will be at least a little bit of a market for the non-turbo Subaru engines like the old non-turbo EJ did (you can still buy performance camshafts for naturally-aspirated EJ engines).

The turbo XV Crosstrek is only available in a BOXER turbo Diesel variant. Of course, that means better fuel effciency and ample torque. Based off of a quote I saw on cars101.com (if I recall correctly), the idea of a turbo diesel engine sold in North America hasn't died off yet.

And thanks! I don't know all that much, but I try to learn more and more! Too bad the local Subaru dealerships don't want me to work for them, but maybe someday...

AWDking said:
Ah, shoot...that's disappointing. i wonder what kind of power mods will be available for the Crosstrek, if any?

Probably easy stuff like intake and exhaust... if there's enough interest. But if aftermarket cams become available for the FB20, I would be stoked!

As for the torque over HP, let's all hope that Subaru of America can get the turbo diesel Subaru BOXER engine passed through California emissions and an OK from the higher-ups!!!

Because with a boxer turbo diesel, we'll get:

* better fuel efficiency (than gasoline counterpart, though less HP than a comparable turbo gasoline)
* better torque makes for better towing and off-roading :D

And I really do NOT mean to spam, but if any of you fellow Subaru enthusiasts are interested in a diesel, contact Subaru of America (via e-mail or phone) and let them know there IS a market for turbo diesel Subarus! ;D

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
AWDfreak said:
ClubCrosstrek said:

Well, the FB engine is new, and unlike how the EJ engine was the do-all boxer-4 for Subaru, Subaru has segregated the 3rd generation engines (obviously, FB for economy, FA for performance).
Let's hope there will be at least a little bit of a market for the non-turbo Subaru engines like the old non-turbo EJ did (you can still buy performance camshafts for naturally-aspirated EJ engines).

The turbo XV Crosstrek is only available in a BOXER turbo Diesel variant. Of course, that means better fuel effciency and ample torque. Based off of a quote I saw on cars101.com (if I recall correctly), the idea of a turbo diesel engine sold in North America hasn't died off yet.

And thanks! I don't know all that much, but I try to learn more and more! Too bad the local Subaru dealerships don't want me to work for them, but maybe someday...

AWDking said:

Probably easy stuff like intake and exhaust... if there's enough interest. But if aftermarket cams become available for the FB20, I would be stoked!

As for the torque over HP, let's all hope that Subaru of America can get the turbo diesel Subaru BOXER engine passed through California emissions and an OK from the higher-ups!!!

Because with a boxer turbo diesel, we'll get:

* better fuel efficiency (than gasoline counterpart, though less HP than a comparable turbo gasoline)
* better torque makes for better towing and off-roading :D

And I really do NOT mean to spam, but if any of you fellow Subaru enthusiasts are interested in a diesel, contact Subaru of America (via e-mail or phone) and let them know there IS a market for turbo diesel Subarus! ;D
Yeah, the turbo diesel would be pretty badass. If I remember correctly it adds something like only ~3HP but almost 100ft/lb torque over the N/A engine and everyone says it is a blast to drive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, at the risk of making people cringe, one could always fit a turbocharger kit on the Crosstrek, after the fact. Presuming that A) there is enough room in the engine bay, and B) someone actually makes one. It won't be as efficient as an engine designed to function with one, either, but it is still a vague possibility.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Errant said:
Well, at the risk of making people cringe, one could always fit a turbocharger kit on the Crosstrek, after the fact. Presuming that A) there is enough room in the engine bay, and B) someone actually makes one. It won't be as efficient as an engine designed to function with one, either, but it is still a vague possibility.
It's very risky, but I do believe there is enough room to fit a turbo in there.

And although the internals of the non-turbo-only FB engine can't compare to the internals of an engine fully designed for a turbocharger, the FB engines actually have a similar compression ratio to the FA20 DIT motor (as far as I recall).

·
Registered
111 Posts
I doubt there would be a market for EM for this car. But who knows, maybe Cobb will do an AP for the NA FB Motor since it's in the BRZ.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
spyder720 said:
I doubt there would be a market for EM for this car. But who knows, maybe Cobb will do an AP for the NA FB Motor since it's in the BRZ.
FA=/=FB
FA does NOT equal FB

FA engine is in:
Subaru BRZ/Toyota GT86/Scion FR-S (naturally-aspirated)
Legacy GT DIT (direct-injection turbo)
2014 Forester XT (direct-injection turbo)

FB engine is in ALL new Subaru vehicles (besides BRZ) listed as having a naturally-aspirated 4-cylinder.

The FA and FB may share a lot in common, but they are still different engine families. Both succeed the ancient EJ engine as the 3rd generation of Subaru's 4-cylinder boxer engines.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Having spoken with a couple very highly skilled tuners I can share a couple updates. No one has, as of yet, gotten through all the code for the ECU for the new NA model vehicles to offer open source tuning although the ECU is capable of being use open source with something like ECUtek etc. once someone has sorted it all out. On the other hand, it seems that the general consensus between the people I've spoken to is that there is not a lot left on the table in this engine. It seems to be very close to it's full potential as it sits from the factory.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Subir_roo said:
Having spoken with a couple very highly skilled tuners I can share a couple updates. No one has, as of yet, gotten through all the code for the ECU for the new NA model vehicles to offer open source tuning although the ECU is capable of being use open source with something like ECUtek etc. once someone has sorted it all out. On the other hand, it seems that the general consensus between the people I've spoken to is that there is not a lot left on the table in this engine. It seems to be very close to it's full potential as it sits from the factory.
I see. So even if/when they figure out how to tune it, it sounds like it wouldn't be worth the money.

·
Registered
714 Posts
That seems to be the consensus between most of the good tuners around here.

·
Registered
111 Posts
AWDfreak said:
spyder720 said:
FA=/=FB
FA does NOT equal FB

FA engine is in:

FB engine is in ALL new Subaru vehicles (besides BRZ) listed as having a naturally-aspirated 4-cylinder.

The FA and FB may share a lot in common, but they are still different engine families. Both succeed the ancient EJ engine as the 3rd generation of Subaru's 4-cylinder boxer engines.
My bad, for some reason I was thinking they were using the same motor just tuned differently. Corrected!

·
Registered
34 Posts
AWDfreak said:
spyder720 said:
FA=/=FB
FA does NOT equal FB

FA engine is in:

Anyone know where information can be found regarding the differences in the NA FA and FB engines? Being a gear head I am wondering if its pistons, cams, heads/valves, intake (not the air filter but the actual intake), injectors, etc...? I would guess that the blocks are common at the very least. The FA is certainly low on HP but the 200hp would be a welcome upgrade for the XV.

·
Registered
34 Posts
N10S said:
AWDfreak said:
spyder720 said:
FA=/=FB
FA does NOT equal FB

FA engine is in:

Anyone know where information can be found regarding the differences in the NA FA and FB engines? Being a gear head I am wondering if its pistons, cams, heads/valves, intake (not the air filter but the actual intake), injectors, etc...? I would guess that the blocks are common at the very least. The FA is certainly low on HP but the 200hp would be a welcome upgrade for the XV.

Ok...answered my own question (at least according to this personsn information):

http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/showthread.php?100010-Subaru-FA-Engine

Looks like the FA is way different than the FB. Forced induction in the form of a supercharger is probably the only way to extract any addtional power from the FB.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
The conflicting bore and strokes between FA and FB engine blocks pretty much means they're quite different. The connecting rods of the FB are asymmetrical and clearly not ones that would enjoy forced-induction.
http://drive2.subaru.com/Win11/itsWhatMakes.htm

The FB is tuned primarily for fuel efficiency, while the FA is designed for performance in mind.

Do note that North America already has the turbocharged, direct-injection FA20 often referred to as the "FA20 DIT".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts