Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Installed the OEM underguard for the Subaru XV this morning. Had to import this part from Canada as US dealers are not allowed to order these. Funny thing is, the Canadian dealer had to special order the part out of Subaru's Oregon warehouse. FUUU

The part comes with instructions, a set of screws/caps, 3m alcohol cleaning wipes, and attaches to the 5 extra holes under the bumper in addition to a strip of 3m tape on the inside.
Subaru claims its supposed to protect from stone chips, but its a super thin piece of resin, so its more for looks than anything. D

Le pics...

Underneath

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hi H1! Looks awesome!

Can you please post exactly who out of Canada you ordered this (name, phone, address, website?). I am thinking if going with something like this since that bumper part takes a beating for sure!

Thanks!

·
Registered
552 Posts
avimia said:
Hi H1! Looks awesome!

Can you please post exactly who out of Canada you ordered this (name, phone, address, website?). I am thinking if going with something like this since that bumper part takes a beating for sure!

Thanks!
Ditto on what my girl said plus, How much coin did it set you back?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When US dealers look up the part number (E555EFJ100) in their computer it says "EXPORT ONLY". It wont allow them to even order it even if they wanted to. At first I was a bit hesitant because I thought there had to be a reason why they didnt allow US consumers to order it; probably different bumpers, or things may not line up. Luckily, everything fit like a glove and made use of those extra 5 holes under the bumper. I think its probably a distrubution thing where maybe US dealerships didnt want to pay a fee associated with carrying those accessories? Who knows?

I ordered from Subaru Calgary. Ask for Sasha from Parts Dept, great communication and feedback.
1100 Meridian Road NE
Calgary, Alberta T2A 2N9
T 403-571-3099
T 888-722-6422
F 403-571-3070

The part was extremely pricy for what it is at 230$ USD, but the underguards for the Outback, Forester are also in the same price range. Shipping by freight to California was another $70. After shopping around I found that they had the cheapest price for the part. Other euro/asian dealers were charging at least 50$ more on the part, and also shipping would have been even more expensive. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Didn't realize this was only available in Canada. Since I'm in Canada perhaps I should take advantage. :) Really pricey though. Looks great and I'm sure it will provide some protection.

·
Registered
714 Posts
That looks really good.... Now I want one. I'll have to see about that "Export only" thing at work on Tuesday. Sometimes there's ways around that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Subir_roo said:
That looks really good.... Now I want one. I'll have to see about that "Export only" thing at work on Tuesday. Sometimes there's ways around that.
yeah, please let me know the answer when you find out. Ive called several US dealers and they all said the same thing.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Thanks for the great info H1. This is an excellent lead.

Subir_roo said:
Will be watching for your inputs on this too Subir!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Just looked into it. It is indeed an export only part. Usually that means it was not on the cars that they did DOT testing with. Any OEM accessory that bolts onto the front bumper has to be tested and DOT approved to be sold in the US (pedestrian collision etc). So no such luck, if we want it we'll have to order it from Canada land.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Subir_roo said:
......Any OEM accessory that bolts onto the front bumper has to be tested and DOT approved.....
Thank you for checking Subir...

Though I say pishaw on DOT... What a classic case of beuracracy at its best. How does the DOT account for the millions of cars that put on after-market and custom accessories including the monstrous custom bull bars and even winches we see on trucks??! Lets face it.... It's not about DOT compliance, it's about regional monies and liabilities. After all... Would the US DOT really give a crap if I ordered the OEM interior dog cage from Sweden??? (Yes, it exists). Or, that I get the OEM stick-on canards from there either? I think not.

Not doubting your words at all, Subir! Just love the red-tape beurocratic BS answers they give. Not saying DOT requirements aren't important either. They actually do a great job keeping roads safe and well engineered. But... The reality here is a regional-sales Allowance and using "compliance" is a quick way to say "no".

Considering many "laws" are created *after* discovery of the need arises (or only because someone did do something stupid), I say order from Canada and other non-US markets. Let the DOT try to keep up with the consumer demand and see how far that goes. Ha!

After all, it's the mob-demand that really changes things on the largest scale.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Agreed, it's VERY ridiculous. Especially taking that much time to police the OEM car/accessory when, as you mentioned, there's a million aftermarket things out there. The aftermarket companies get around it by advertising parts as "for offroad use only" and selling them as such. Then it's on the user not the manufacturer.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Subir_roo,

Thanks for looking into that! Funny how thats the case. Its just a piece of plastic that goes onto the lower bumper. Doesnt really change much as far as safety goes. I noticed that in some european markets, the XV doesnt come with the standard roof rails that ours come with. They instead get the ones from previous gen impreza. Maybe they have the same sort of system where it wasnt tested with those parts on.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are also sideskirt underguards as well.
It's not on the front bumper, and just sits flush to the existing skirts. Im guessing these were not DOT approved as well..

·
Registered
603 Posts
Ahhh... Spoken well by each of you!

This kinda stuff gets a burr up ol' Granny's skirt that it just makes me wanna go mod the crap outa my car. Lololol (yeah... Age brings on orneriness and a 2yr old got nothin' on me). Hahaha

So bring on the Hella horns (be sure to honk at DOT trucks as you go by), the bull bars, the side rails, the bumper lip and canards, Lets just see what the little XV can take. After all, the Impreza I saw built on tank tracks can't be all wrong. Ha!

·
Registered
53 Posts
H15A said:
When US dealers look up the part number (E555EFJ100) in their computer it says "EXPORT ONLY". It wont allow them to even order it even if they wanted to. At first I was a bit hesitant because I thought there had to be a reason why they didnt allow US consumers to order it; probably different bumpers, or things may not line up. Luckily, everything fit like a glove and made use of those extra 5 holes under the bumper. I think its probably a distrubution thing where maybe US dealerships didnt want to pay a fee associated with carrying those accessories? Who knows?

I ordered from Subaru Calgary. Ask for Sasha from Parts Dept, great communication and feedback.
1100 Meridian Road NE
Calgary, Alberta T2A 2N9
T 403-571-3099
T 888-722-6422
F 403-571-3070

The part was extremely pricy for what it is at 230$ USD, but the underguards for the Outback, Forester are also in the same price range. Shipping by freight to California was another $70. After shopping around I found that they had the cheapest price for the part. Other euro/asian dealers were charging at least 50$ more on the part, and also shipping would have been even more expensive. Hope this helps.
H15A, just ordered one...thanx for the referral...Sasha says, "Thanku & Merry Xmas !"

-steeba

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Awesome! Post some pics!
steeba said:
H15A said:

1100 Meridian Road NE
Calgary, Alberta T2A 2N9
T 403-571-3099
T 888-722-6422
F 403-571-3070

H15A, just ordered one...thanx for the referral...Sasha says, "Thanku & Merry Xmas !"

-steeba

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well, to update my story on that flimsy/resin guard from Calgary Subaru, it arrived cracked (December)…Sasha told me to trash it & sent me another one…that one also had a big crack down the center…sent it back, got refund…was bummed…I think customs did a number on it w/their wonderful repackaging !
Anywho, ordered this stainless one from China http://www.subaru-parts.cn/sdp/158073/4/pd-1006894/10532798-2473416/Subaru_12_XV_Front_Resin_Under_Guard.html and was only $127.00 (vs. $290 price from Canada !!) total price shipping/incl (btw, DHL had it at my door in 3 days !)
Installation time: 21 mins…
Like it…done !

1 - 20 of 32 Posts