Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please no "you should have bought an Impezza" responses. I am interested in reducing the gap, tire to botom of fender...maybe 2-3". Has anyone experimented with other Subie springs? I understand that 08 & up WRX suspension bits fit. This is the third Subie forum I have started scanning for help, hard to believe that no-one has travelled down this road before.

Planning on adding a larger rear sway also, any advice, or heads up would be greatly appreciated.

thanks all

·
Registered
714 Posts
The main issue you're going to run into is angels. Because of the taller suspension on the XV the entire driveline is spaced down to keep the angles correct. Because the subframe is lower if you drop the suspension height you will end up with suspension angels that aren't optimal. You may end up with a car that has worse handling characteristics than when you started, bump steer could be come an issue, and you may wear through bushings faster. It's not really documented with the XV yet, but those are issues that often pop up with hastily lowered Foresters and Outbacks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Subir_roo said:
The main issue you're going to run into is angels. Because of the taller suspension on the XV the entire driveline is spaced down to keep the angles correct. Because the subframe is lower if you drop the suspension height you will end up with suspension angels that aren't optimal. You may end up with a car that has worse handling characteristics than when you started, bump steer could be come an issue, and you may wear through bushings faster. It's not really documented with the XV yet, but those are issues that often pop up with hastily lowered Foresters and Outbacks.
I am a Subie newbie, so lots to learn. I know all about bump steer from my current mid-life crisis car. Hope to avoid any mis-steps with the XV, by getting knowledgeable advice from forum members like you.
You mention the lower subframe, does that mean there are essentially spacers of some kind between the uni-body and subframe...a body lift in old speak?

thanks again

·
Registered
714 Posts
Exactly! It doesn't quite cause the same effect as a body lift on older body on frame cars but similar idea. It's really being used to lower the suspension mounting points to get the angles back to where they should be. With any Subaru, and really an car using the same front suspension design, excessive lowering can cause some steering angle issues. In the older cars you could use an anti lift kit consisting of ball joints, tie rod ends, and bushings to help alleviate those problems. You'll be fine around an inch or so but once you get past that 2-3in mark the angles can be pretty poor. I'm not aware of an anti lift kit for the XV yet though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, I actually pick the XV up tomorrow. One of the dealership mechanics is the local "go-to" Subie guy...I'll probably end up paying for some lift time with him, and try to get a direction from there.

I have a scissor lift here at home, but the mid life crisis car is on it for it's usual winter clean and mod. Too many pieces off of it at the moment to simply drop, and drive the XV on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thinking it highly doubtful that an STi strut/spring assembly will work for the XV. A little less doubtful with the WRX ones, but a little research on your end will turn up the data you need. If I wanted to do what you are planning, I would just look to the Impreza Limited 5dr Sport. GUESSING here, but we probably have the same same struts, just different springs. I am sure if that is incorrect, some awesome soul here will call me out on it. :p

If indeed it is the same, just look at something like these:

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=H%26R&model=Sport+Spring+Set&group=Sport+Spring+Set&partNum=54463&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Impreza+2.0i+5-Door&autoYear=2014&autoModClar=Limited

Of course, you are gonna DEFINITELY need a performance alignment and there is no guarantee that you will not be riding speed bumps with your diff like a limp slug. It's simply a lot easier to lower a normal stance car than to lower one that was designed to have more than normal clearance. You just might be a pioneer here. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been told by the dealer parts guru, that the strut housing's are the same as the Impreza Sport...just the springs are different. I would assume that the XV springs are a slightly higher spring rate, to eliminate some of the additional body roll due to the added ride height.

I got the dimensions from Raceland, for the uncompressed length of their 08-14 WRX coilover set-up, the reviews of their coilovers, is no better or worse than those costing 2-3 times more. I put the XV up on my mid-rise lift this afternoon, and took the measurements...they match exactly.

The Racelands offer 1-3" of adjustability, independent ride height adjustment, and spring preload lock rings, uprated springs, and a 30 day money back guarantee. In other words...if they don't work, I simply send them back for a full refund...less shipping naturally. They will be here in about 5 days...now to get busy and get the rear sway, strut bar, and 18" wheelset coming also.

I'm gone the next two weeks for a family wedding in Texas, then a Porsche event in Hershey, Pa. Look for updates the end of the month...with pics if they work.

·
Registered
567 Posts
You just picked up the XV and you want to lower it 2-3 inches. You say to hold the Impreza comments. Why do you want to lower the XV, is it you like the plastic trim around the vehicle? I was just wondered.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
andthereyouare said:
You just picked up the XV and you want to lower it 2-3 inches. You say to hold the Impreza comments. Why do you want to lower the XV, is it you like the plastic trim around the vehicle? I was just wondered.
I liked the orange, just like you.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Magdaddy said:
andthereyouare said:
I liked the orange, just like you.
Ah... Great reason.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
update...
Raceland coilovers...check
Superpro 22mm rear sway...check
Cusco front strut bar...check

Still trying to decide what 18" wheelset I'm going with. Either 7.5" or 8" wide, varies by manufacturer. Really watching wheel weight, since the summer tires(245/45/18)will weigh 1 lb more than the stock 225/55/17 tires. Narrowed my choices down to 5 or 6, weights from 17.6lbs-20.6(stock is 22.8lbs), pricing from a high of $225 ea, to $129.

Anyway, Racelands allow adjustment for up to a 2 1/2" drop on the Crosstrek. Can I drop it that much...I'll find out the last week of the month. Lots of pics, and info to follow.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey let me know how those racelands go, I usually hate coils but am looking for some springs that will lower me a little and increase the spring rates slightly too.

I know for a fact that you can swap out 12+ impreza hatch parts with the xv, and it will handle nicely and align okay. Why lower? For better handling... can't believe someone would even ask that. Also rsr, eibach, and h&r all make lowering springs and I know some people who have put xv suspension components on their impreza to lift it but I already have a lifted GC soooo I want to go a lil lower too.

Sub'd for raceland review!

·
Registered
112 Posts
In all honesty even though you have coils already my best advice is to do impreza hatch SPRINGS on crosstrek STRUTS. The reason is they should all seat the same and distances are slightly different but you should be okay using oem springs on original struts. I hear our new platform has increased dampening rates and and I know tons of people who have put wrx springs on their forester and had a nice little drop + handling increase on older models. Lastly I hear that the newer springs (h&r, eibach, rsr) have been blowing stock struts out from these readjusted strut/spring rates.

I know it's late info but I hope that helps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
javabot said:
In all honesty even though you have coils already my best advice is to do impreza hatch SPRINGS on crosstrek STRUTS. The reason is they should all seat the same and distances are slightly different but you should be okay using oem springs on original struts. I hear our new platform has increased dampening rates and and I know tons of people who have put wrx springs on their forester and had a nice little drop + handling increase on older models. Lastly I hear that the newer springs (h&r, eibach, rsr) have been blowing stock struts out from these readjusted strut/spring rates.

I know it's late info but I hope that helps.
From talking to the parts guy at the dealership, the strut housings are the same, but actual springs are different between the XV and impreza 5 door. I assume the XV springs are a higher spring rate, over the impreza. Now having a set of 08-14 WRX coilovers to look over, I don't believe that the strut housings can be the same either. There are numerous bushings, brackets, etc...to space the body, and suspension points on the XV. These coilovers just seem kinda short to me.

The fronts have enough adjustability to span out for a 2" drop, but not the rears.

Anyway, without knowing any of the spring rates from the other compatible stock offerings-WRX, impreza 5 door, etc...I didn't want to waste my time. Not knowing the actual drop with the XV for aftermarket springs was troublesome also. If the Racelands don't work, the next best option is King uprated standard length impreza springs.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Of course the springs are different, look at the ride heights! ;) Remember too that 15+ wrx stuff should work too bc that is the updated platform.

If you got 08-14 wrx fitment coils thats your problem 99%. The older wrx does NOT share the same STRUT&SPRING platform on the 14's as the crosstrek so you need 12+ hatch (2.0i) or new body style sedan springs to match your original strut design. [I would recommend staying 2.0i hatch or '15 wrx springs, bc it is identical minus the factors you mentioned: strut distances, spacers, bushings etc]

There is some slight butt sag on my impreza sport, so I would seriously consider the oem impreza hatch or 15 wrx springs maybe with a 1/4 or 1/2" spacer in the rear to even out the ride. Only thing is I don't know of anyone who did this yet so it might not sag actually on your xv due to strut distances. Remember too this is only advice for keeping your original struts... obviously if you get new springs & struts (kings + koni) that would save your headache if something were to not work out. :)

hope that helps

1 - 20 of 41 Posts