Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here, starting to do some research on what to replace my 2000 Acura TL, which is at 211k miles.

The Crosstrek is one on my short list & I need to find the time to go down to the local dealer & drive one. It'll be a gray 5MT, if the XV is the way I decide to go.

Curious if someone with an XV can measure the interior height from the floor to the ceiling, probably around where the seats hinge & length from the front seats to the hatch door with the driver's side back seat folded down. Curious if my road bike would fit standing up (front wheel removed). I'd prefer to carry it inside the car, rather on a rack like I have right now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chasem said:
I can't measure one personally, but about 2/3 they way down this page there's a picture that should help you out. (Scroll down to "Cargo area dimensions and measurements")

As an aside: that link has a lot of fantastic information for the XV and other Subaru models.
Thanks, that should get me close.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ClubCrosstrek said:
I am thinking a road bike standing up with wheel removed may actually work, but probably really close. I will try to test it with my mountain bike this weekend, or at least measure it.
Measured my bike last night with the front wheel off. If the above link with dimensions is right, I think it's a no-go.
It lists 30" as the height at the seat hinges & my bike is 36.5" +/- an inch.
It's also 60" long with the front wheel off, sitting on the front fork dropouts, so even length-wise, it'd be tight.

My original theory was to mount a front fork mount at the top of the 40% back seat, so I could lock the bike into it with the seat down. I'll have to take my bike with me when I go test drive the XV & see how it fits in the back.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ClubCrosstrek said:
I'll still try to check mine out this weekend. If it doesn't fit standing up would there be an issue with laying it on its side?
Laying it on its side wouldn't be a problem. I was just thinking from a space issue. I'm planning on racing & if my wife & daughter go with me, I don't know how easily a carseat & road bike would fit in the back. If it won't fit standing up, I could stick with the rack I'm using on my TL. I'm pretty sure it'll work on a hatchback just as well.

When I'm by myself with the bike, it'd be fine, just fold both seats down & leave the front wheel on (chain side up, or course).

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
HoustonXV said:
ClubCrosstrek said:
I'll still try to check mine out this weekend. If it doesn't fit standing up would there be an issue with laying it on its side?
Laying it on its side wouldn't be a problem. I was just thinking from a space issue. I'm planning on racing & if my wife & daughter go with me, I don't know how easily a carseat & road bike would fit in the back. If it won't fit standing up, I could stick with the rack I'm using on my TL. I'm pretty sure it'll work on a hatchback just as well.

When I'm by myself with the bike, it'd be fine, just fold both seats down & leave the front wheel on (chain side up, or course).
Ah, gotcha. I didn't even think about traveling with OTHER people!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ClubCrosstrek said:
Yeah, most of my riding is just me alone, but when I start getting into racing more, I think my wife will want to go to some of the races.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
HoustonXV said:
ClubCrosstrek said:
Yeah, most of my riding is just me alone, but when I start getting into racing more, I think my wife will want to go to some of the races.
Yeah, I think because I mostly ride alone (no wife or kids), I just think everyone is the same. And I want to say "my bad" about not testing out my bike in the Crosstrek this past weekend, time totally slipped by me. I have a three day weekend coming up so hopefully I can give it a try.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ClubCrosstrek said:
HoustonXV said:
ClubCrosstrek said:
Yeah, I think because I mostly ride alone (no wife or kids), I just think everyone is the same. And I want to say "my bad" about not testing out my bike in the Crosstrek this past weekend, time totally slipped by me. I have a three day weekend coming up so hopefully I can give it a try.
No worries.
Given that the link above with the dimensions is correct, unless I move my seat on my bike (not preferable, since I've got it pretty dialed in for me), I'm thinking it won't stand upright.
I'll have to take my bike with me when I go test drive one so I can test fit it in the back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts