Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone else has been having this issue with the interior build quality of their cars...

I've already taken my car to the dealer here, as expected they weren't able to replicate the issue. However, they said they installed felt strips to keep it from rattling. I haven't actually taken the door trim off yet, but I'm pretty sure they had no idea what I was talking about.

So here's my own diagnosis. Hopefully someone out there knows what I'm talking about...

First, it only occurs when the car is in motion and the stereo is on. Generally, volume at about 20, bass/mid/treb at 0. With those factors in play, every loose piece on the door will faintly rattle at some point. The plastics housing the window/door lock buttons, rubber/soft arm rest, and fabric trim - sometimes one at a time, and others all at once. I find myself resting my arm on the door a lot to stop it from occurring. However, it's not so simple to do a quick fix on the passenger side.

Has anyone experienced this? Any idea on how to explain it to the dealer? I figured at some point I will have to just drive around the service tech until he hears it..

·
Registered
820 Posts
I've had a intermittent rattle from pass. A pillar. The fabric/plastics move around with my hand on that side-not on drivers. Some have had dash tweeters rattle. You are not alone!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wow... I am not sure that is something that the dealer will fix. It is almost so especific that it has more to do with the way you listen to your stereo. I am by no means saying that you are wrong. Nothing should vibrate inside the car, but you just never know. Have you tried asking them to install some Dynamat in the doors? It is not cheap, but it buffers sound really well and it will actually make your stero sound better.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Just curious... Since your stereo is on when this occurs... Possible that the speaker is loose in the mount? This would make a lot of sense to me since the speakers vibrate naturally

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it is a rather specific complaint. I drive a lot between Midland and Houston, it's about 8 hours each way, so I had a lot of time to figure out exactly where/what/why something was rattling. As for the Dynamat, it's on my list of possible fixes for the issue if the dealer doesn't do something about it. I'm hoping I can find something a little cheaper than Dynamat but similar quality.

I considered it being the speaker, but about 90% of the time it's just that fabric piece on the door. All I have to do to stop it from making rattling noises is to push my finger on it and the problem is solved.

The doors just need that extra bit of vibration from the speakers to get the trim to start making the noise. Maybe I'll tinker around with it tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts