Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined the forum as a new Crosstrek owner. This is my 59th car and 4th subaru (2002WRX, 2005 Forester XT, 2011 WRX). This is my first non-turbo subie and since I usually always own performance cars this is a bit different for me. Too much snow and too many hours digging out the drive for the WRX this year drove me over the edge and the WRX is history. Anyway its a crystal black silica limited with nav and roof with the wing and grill. This car will end-up being my wifes car and we will let her gas guzzling toyota sequoia become a bad-weather, tow or rough use vehicle.

Overall the Crosstrek seems like a great value, and I am looking forward to improved gas mileage and being able to buy regular octane fuel for a change.

Jeff

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome! I'm a first-time Subaru owner, but we moved to Western North Carolina from Mississippi and the possibility of snow and the wonderful great outdoors pushed us to get the Crosstrek.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck with your Crosstrek and re-location as well. I have vacationed to the outer banks and really enjoyed that. I can imagine taking our Crosstrek there on a future vacation.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Jeff,

Welcome the the Club and congrats!! I know it s a large step coming from the performance side of things. Hope you don't get withdrawal! The added ground clearance is worth it in my book. Those days when you can leave the shovel hangin on the wall are finally here!!!!

Looking forward to seeing some pics. Look around the Forums... good info and great folks!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Welcome to the site Jeff! 59th car? Right on....a man after my own heart, so many cars so little time!
I have 9K on my XV and it just grows on me more with every drive. If I make it to 100K it will be quite a rare achievement for me to have kept a car that long. I've kept two trucks over 100 but never a car/cuv. I compliment you on choice of black! I have a "stripped down" model with cloth seats and no roof/navi and the 5 sp.- it's exactly what I wanted. I guaranty in a few months you will feel quite intelligent after picking such a versatile machine that excels in everything it does.....did I mention it grows on you?! ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome folks! I really loved the WRX. The three main factors that resulted in me going for the Crosstrek were:
1) Ground clearance for better all around all-weather, and off-the beaten path driving conditions.
2) Better gas mileage while not sacrificing the AWD
3) The ability to use regular octane gas as opposed to premium 93 octane.

Beyond that the crosstrek looks cool, has excellent utility capability and cargo space for a vehicle of its type, and sealing the deal was the level of reliability and safety that Subaru delivers in spades.

Performance? Thats all relative and the crosstrek does perform great, just not in the acceleration and braking department. Since I have never had any expectations for those things out of the Crosstrek I certainly don't feel cheated. I also still have a 91 GMC Syclone sitting in my garage so I still have an AWD turbo platform vehicle to drive when I feel the need for speed. :)

·
Registered
820 Posts
N10S said:
Thanks for the welcome folks! I really loved the WRX. The three main factors that resulted in me going for the Crosstrek were:
1) Ground clearance for better all around all-weather, and off-the beaten path driving conditions.
2) Better gas mileage while not sacrificing the AWD
3) The ability to use regular octane gas as opposed to premium 93 octane.
I second all three of those and would venture to say that nearly 100% of the club checked those boxes when looking at XV. Dang we is a smart bunch! What? Oh ARE a smart bunch!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hehe...yeah I guess those reasons are pretty obvious.:)

Checking those boxes helps me ensure that the Crosstrek meets the needs for a conservative reliable family vehicle. Unfortunately none of those checked boxes really mean anything to me personally. I have owned cars that were so much fun to drive I couldn't help taking them for a drive whenever possible. By comparison I really have no desire to drive the Crosstrek because it doesn't stir my soul. I know Subaru is marketing the Crosstrek to the outdoors types but even though I do love mountainbiking, hiking and other outdoor sports I would never consider leaving the Crosstrek at a remote trailhead for a couple of days as I have had vehicles broken into after just being gone 2 hours much less two days. By the same token I would never consider jumping into the Crosstrek (or any other new car for that matter) after a mountainbike ride when I am a dirty sweatbag. This utility part of the value equation of ownership does nothing for me.

Logically speaking buying the Crosstrek makes sense for the family, but emotionally speaking it is an "empty" purchase for me on a personal level.

·
Registered
11 Posts
59 cars! Makes my 16 cars and 6 motorcycles kind of kid stuff. Most of my Subie driving has been in a friend's Forester XT (a WRX with more ground clearance and softer suspension when you check the specs). We have been TSD rallying in it for 9 years now and it is, without a doubt, the best TSD rally car I have ever driven. XV was my second choice until I found out the Forester XT is no longer available with a manual transmission. What surprised me was that the CVT was quicker than the manual with the Crosstrek. Next up for me is to install the rally gear before my first event on the 19th of April.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rallyace said:
59 cars! Makes my 16 cars and 6 motorcycles kind of kid stuff. Most of my Subie driving has been in a friend's Forester XT (a WRX with more ground clearance and softer suspension when you check the specs). We have been TSD rallying in it for 9 years now and it is, without a doubt, the best TSD rally car I have ever driven. XV was my second choice until I found out the Forester XT is no longer available with a manual transmission. What surprised me was that the CVT was quicker than the manual with the Crosstrek. Next up for me is to install the rally gear before my first event on the 19th of April.
You have to realize I am almost 55 so I have had a few years to accumulate a variety of car purchases. :)

My 2005 Forester Xt MT5 was a blast to drive and I had mine set-up with the Sti TMIC, VF39 Turbo, and Cobb Turboback exhaust with the special Cobb Vf39 tune for the Forester XT. I was running the StiBBS wheels and the Potenza tires along with JDM Sti pinks and Sti inverted struts and rsb. It handled and ran great. Here is a pic.

When I traded my 2011 WRX last Friday I was surprised to see two 2006 FXT's on the lot. Both were customer cars, both WR Blue, (one manual, one auto). Weird to see two of that car at the dealer at the same time.

I am interested in your rally set-up for the XV. I used to live and work up in Alaska and have planned on taking a road trip some summer up through British Columbia and into Alaska. I think a properly prepared XV would be a decent vehicle for that adventure.

Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts