Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does SIRI play nice with BT on the XV? I'm awaiting delivery of a Limited with the HD radio. I'm already disappointed to hear that the radio can't download my iPhone's entire phone book and only 50 contacts can be added...MANUALLY. I figure SIRI will come in handy because I can just ask to dial anyone from my phone book.

One other question. If I'm using my iPhone to stream, for example, Pandora via BT, can I make and receive calls via hands free?

I just traded in my 2012 Ford Fusion SEL to buy my XV and as twitchy Ford SYNC can be, I know I'm going to miss its superior and very convenient features. Why does Subaru lag so behind in entertainment and NAV technology?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can tell you that we are not that happy with the BT in the Subaru because you can't use any of the preset phonebook numbers while you are driving. We also set up the voice dials for the phonebook but it will never recognize what we are saying. We just pick up our phone and use it and it will still connect to the car and we can talk hands free. I do not know about Siri but I would guess that it will not work in conjuction with the BT in the Subaru.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the numbers that you manually put into the radio cannot be dialed when moving? Even via voice command? That sucks.

·
Registered
500 Posts
No, you can dial the numbers in the factory system while on the move. It's just that some people have a difficult time getting the voice dialing to recognize the correct name. For the most part mine does well. One key is to use long names rather than short. For example, "Richard Smith cell phone" rather than "Ricky's cell."

Longer names give the system more syllables to differentiate so names sound more different from one another.

As for Siri, I'll try to remember to try it out today; I've never used Siri so the thought never crossed my mind. Though I have accidentally pressed the "dictate" button while composing a text and the stereo sound cut out while my phone was waiting for me to dictate... We'll see.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As Chasem said it can be done via voice command but we have always had problems getting it to recognize what we are saying so I will try to change the saved command so it is longer. I know you can not use the buttons on the radio to dial while you are driving because the car will tell you "Due to safety concerns this function is not available at this time".

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe IT IS a good idea to cut that speed sensor wire that goes to the radio? Wonder how difficult that is to do?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I found that a lower mic volume helped out 95% of problems with voice recognition.

I have used Siri via BT in my SAT/NAV

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: Re: iPhone 5, SIRI vs Subaru's HD Radio

Xtrekr said:
I found that a lower mic volume helped out 95% of problems with voice recognition.

I had to turn my mic all the way down, that helped a ton. I was using sync for the past four years, the hardest part is using the proper commands to make a call to someone. Once I learned those I find the voice recognition works well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to hear. Didn't realize there was a setting for mic volume. I'll give it a try when I get behind the wheel.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Also. Set up speed dial in the HU. Works a lot faster. Up to 10 speed dials per paired phone. So set up a few and do the following

Press voice command
Say:
Hands free
Call speed dial 1

·
Registered
927 Posts
Once you connect via BT... You can get to it after activating the Handsfree mode

If I were at the car, I could walk you through it... Sorry

·
Registered
500 Posts
Tested Siri today on iPhone 5, just a quick test. Held the home button to summon her, have the voice command to call a friend and left it at that. Worked just fine through the in-car speakers and mic. Audio playback (iPod through USB) stopped while Siri and I chatted.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
chasem said:
Tested Siri today on iPhone 5, just a quick test. Held the home button to summon her, have the voice command to call a friend and left it at that. Worked just fine through the in-car speakers and mic. Audio playback (iPod through USB) stopped while Siri and I chatted.
That's terrific news. If only there was a way to summon SIRI with a wheel button. But I can live with the present arrangement.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How do you lower the mic volume?

Xtrekr said:

·
Registered
2 Posts
prompterbob said:
That's terrific news. If only there was a way to summon SIRI with a wheel button. But I can live with the present arrangement.
First post....woot!

If your phone is plugged in, could one not use the "Hey Siri" feature? You wouldn't need to push a button at all...

I'll have my 2015 XV Limited in DGM in about a week. Super excited, coming from an '03 WRX Wagon...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts