Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I bought my first ever Subaru about a month ago, a CPO 2019 Crosstrek Premium 2.0i with 34.5k miles currently on it. I am still trying to learn about the car as it is quite different than the Chevy sedans I used to drive.

I was waiting in the drive thru line the other day and noticed this ticking/tapping sound. It reminds me of a diesel engine. I did some research and found posts from 2013, but I'm wondering if this is normal for newer Crosstreks? I want to make sure this isn't due to some recall or larger issue.

Thanks!

PS the sound is more accurate when I watch the video on my phone vs laptop. Just FYI.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 19 trek CVT touring.

I have some rapid tapping sounds coming from the engine bay too and sounds like its valve clicking on the cams. I tried to get it diagnosed in the dealership TWICE but they turned me down and they claimed it is from my aftermarket 5" muffler. I know where the sound is coming from; its from under the hood - not from the backend.

Im still under warranty so flash tuning the thing will void that. For the meantime, I exclusively use 91 octane. Fixed the issue. Expensive, but it works. Ill get it flash tuned when warranty is over.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So the tapping is from spark knock? Not a mechanic, but maybe your 5" muffler changed the back pressure?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maybe. Who knows. Im just waiting for that warranty to be over. For the meantime, getting premium gas seems to band-aid the injury.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts