Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I do all my own maintenance... always have. That being said, all of my previous cars had some form of jack point under the car in addition to the body rails where the emergency jack goes. It seems like there is no where on the chassis or suspension components to safely position a floor jack. Has anyone found one that works? Today it was a bit of a circus trying to get all four corners off the ground to rotate my tires! Ideas??

~Chris

·
Registered
820 Posts
Hey sail....I jack/rotate one side at a time. I've found that if I use the emergency jack location, the XV is sturdy enough to lift the rear wheel just by using front jack point. Of course, I loosen all lugs with the side I'm changing still on the ground.

I don't see the need to lift all four corners simultaneously. Subaru advised me to do front to back/back to front rotation...nothing crosses over to the other side. Are you rotating differently than this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
According to the manual, if the tire is a directional tire then rotate front to back / back to front. If it is a non-directional tire then you do the normal "cross sides" rotation. Since I don't own a Crosstrek yet (just the service manual :eek:) I don't know if the tires are directional or not. :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that diagram, Ray. That is exactly what I was looking for. Being my first AWD car, I was a bit wearing jacking from the rear diff, so seeing this makes me breathe a little easier.

I did the first tire rotation front to back, but this one I crossed over the rears to the fronts, and moved the fronts straight back. These are indeed non-directional tires...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, for anyone using a garage floor jack, I've found that placing a hockey puck on the tray of the jack helps prevent metal-metal contact between the jack and car, and eliminates potential pressure points.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I wanted to cross them too Sail....I even brought up the point to my service shop (Subie)about them being non directional- wonder why they said F to R and R to F? I'm going to start rotating with a X pattern next round- I believe this allows for better wear.

Anyone else been told by their service no X ing?

·
Registered
84 Posts
billybob said:
Keep in mind, those images reflect rotation schemes for non-directional tread pattern tires only. Stock XV tires do not have directional treads, so it really doesn't matter how you rotate the tires. I continue to do front rear rotations on my vehicles, regardless of the tread pattern, front-rear every 5-6 months when I swap 3-season with winter tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you thank you thank you, Ray. I have also been wondering about these jack points. I criss cross my tires since they are non-directional and have ordered special jack stands, Esco with flat rubber tops so they do not more or scratch the pinch welds behind front tires and in front of back tires. Out of a pine 2x4 I cut a Groove in the center and I'm currently jacking one side of car up in the middle and then placing the jack stands. Now, with your diagram, I have an alternative way to do this��

·
Registered
297 Posts
Also, for anyone using a garage floor jack, I've found that placing a hockey puck on the tray of the jack helps prevent metal-metal contact between the jack and car, and eliminates potential pressure points.
Or, you know, a chunk of wood since that is 1)readily available anywhere (even the forest) 2) is pliable and sinks into the jack hard spots and the diff hard spots, causing a "bite" that won't slip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts