Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Does anyone know which model number (if any) is the correct fit?
They do not list the 2018 Crosstrek on their website, and their tech support email confirmed that they have not certified one as being correct as of yet.
I got a 33-2304 and it did not seem like it would fit properly so I sent it back. It had rounded corners vs. the perfectly square ones on the factory air filter.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
I can't say for sure. parts.subaru.com doesn't even have the parts information up for the 3rd generation Subaru XV.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Go down to you local Autozone. Ask the manager (guys with grey shirts, never ask the red shirts anything, they are noobs!) aks if you can rummage through the air filters until you find one of similar dimensions. Then find what vehicle that fits. (The grey shirt can do that in the computer), once you find the vehicle it goes to, look for the K&N version.

Side gripe- not sure why you would bother with this. The 50-100$ you’ll pay for a k&n might gain 2-3hp AT THE FLYWHEEL. At best, with awd, there will be ZERO difference felt on the butt Dyno, and your modded 2018 will still be slower than the OEM 2018 that the elderly woman in the next lane. It’s all because of a little known secret called torque.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 50-100$ you’ll pay for a k&n might gain 2-3hp AT THE FLYWHEEL. At best, with awd, there will be ZERO difference felt on the butt Dyno, and your modded 2018 will still be slower than the OEM 2018 that the elderly woman in the next lane. It’s all because of a little known secret called torque.
I was under the impression that less air restriction would make the pedal feel a little more responsive. Is that not the case?

·
Registered
297 Posts
You might get some off throttle-at idle response improvement. But is it worth that amount of money? And is it worth the upkeep that a k&n takes? So many of those filters are trashed from neglect. Usually within the first year.

I don’t want to discourage you from improving your car! It’s good to modify cars. But I just wanted to make sure you are informed before you set down some cash on mods.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You might get some off throttle-at idle response improvement. But is it worth that amount of money? And is it worth the upkeep that a k&n takes? So many of those filters are trashed from neglect. Usually within the first year.

I don’t want to discourage you from improving your car! It’s good to modify cars. But I just wanted to make sure you are informed before you set down some cash on mods.
It's $50, supposedly lasts 50k miles between cleanings (not sure how true that is), so it seems ok.
Can you recommend something better? Besides a new motor with a turbo lol

·
Registered
297 Posts
Headers and uncorked exhaust. Modest power increase, excellent sound. And the opportunity to go with either the rally car equal length header sound. Or the WRX burble of UNequal length headers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Everyone should read about oiled filters and newer designed mass air sensors. They kill it over time as the oil comes off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
297 Posts
Everyone should read about oiled filters and newer designed mass air sensors. They kill it over time as the oil comes off.

He’s right. Study up, and do it correctly kids. Most of the time the oil comes off due to over zealous application. Nothing a little carb cleaner can’t fix though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
He’s right. Study up, and do it correctly kids. Most of the time the oil comes off due to over zealous application. Nothing a little carb cleaner can’t fix though.

Some of them cleaner won’t fix. I got a 99 beetle diesel I drive at night and cleaning the mass air doesn’t make it work properly again. Usually they get stuck above or below a certain flow rating.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts