Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a K&N air filter in their crosstrek? Was there any difference in performance or gas mileage? I had one in my trans am years ago.

·
Registered
229 Posts
We have been running a K&N now for 1k miles. Performance is minimal, maybe 2hp per their website. Sounds better, maybe under throttle. Gas mileage is supposed to be improved by 2-3 mpg, but we did not run the factory filter so I can't give you an exact number. This is not overly helpful, but rather the minimal expectations for the engine platform that you are working with. Knowing that it is in there, for us the answer is priceless.

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
I would avoid the use of K&N filters...

The oil in them is prone to messing up the sensors (such as MAF/MAP). Also, they filter LESS, therefore, letting MORE dirt in.

There is a very good reason why the SPT and STI filters are all dry-type air filters.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The said:
We have been running a K&N now for 1k miles.
>snip
Knowing that it is in there, for us the answer is priceless.
Priceless that it's in there and it's a K&N? Why is that priceless? You took a perfectly good filter out and installed an oiled cotton filter and that's priceless? :eek:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well in my experience with K&N on my trans am, I had problems with my MAF and the engine only lasted until 165k miles. My mom's mercedes had a K&N and her MAF went out. I tend to believe that they do let in more junk than a paper filter, and you can just trash the paper filter when done. As of right now I think im going to just keep the paper filter.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The nice part of purchasing your car is that you can personalize as you see fit. I have not had a problem with any K&N filter on any of our vehicles, Import nor Domestic. From Cold Air, to Short Ram, and Drop-In K&N Filters, none have created any failures for us. The vehicles that I have run a non-OEM filter on are brand new up through 230k miles on the odometer, so I trust K&N.

You also need to be a responsible driver, no standing water with a cold air intake or over the hood water entries with a filter box snorkel behind the grille, so those are just a few things to be mindful of while cruising.

The longevity with any product is care and maintenance, the same theory needs to be applied to the Air Filters. The open element filters attract more, so they need to be cleaned/replaced more frequently, we do every 5k miles or six months. The Drop-In filters have a single point of restricted entry, pending any airbox modifications, so you may choose not to service the filter as frequently, we still stick to the 5k miles/6 month theory. If you do fine dirt road driving, it is worth checking and maintaining it more frequently.

The reason that so many different companies exist is simply because every engineer's opinion differs and the same holds true with car owners. You can run OEM, SPT, AEM, K&N, EL Cheapo, etc. and feel that what you have installed is simply improving the air flow for your engine.

It would be nice to see an unbiased organization do a true various particle filtration test on the above listed types and brands of filters available on the market for our Subaru.

With every part or toy that you change/add to your warrantied vehicle YOU are the one that needs to be happy with its performance or look. Data and opinions are informative to make your decision, but remember that it is your gamble replacing a factory regulated OEM part with anything NON-Authorized for your car, in our case the versatile XV.

Dan

·
Registered
421 Posts
All my cars have had a cold air intake with an oil and cloth filter. I have never had an issue. Always got a few extra mpg out of it and maybe a few more hp. I think I will make the switch as soon as the filter needs changed

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just ordered mine yesterday, should be here in a couple days. I have a drop in on my '11 Honda Fit and I got a few mpg's more with that. K&N filters have never given me problems either, I have had them on every single car that I have owned. That does not mean that problems don't exist, but I rarely have heard of complaints with them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I picked up the K&N drop in filter last week from the store, and I actually preferred the driving experience before the filter change. I suppose there was a slight difference in sound, didn't really notice a difference in power, but with the manual trans, it feels like it was more driveable with the stock filter.

I've had CAI's and/or filters in previous cars and they were fun, but I don't think it improved the experience of the XV at all. If anything, it made me like it less. Also for some reason my MPG average decreased a bit over the last week.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have a Apexi dry drop in filter and its works real well
Induction noise, better millage, reuse able( blowed clean with air )
And cheap only 50 usd and lifetime warrenty

·
Registered
271 Posts
Freacking awesome nice induction sound, better milage , reuse able ( blow clean with air )
It complements my exhaust system

·
Registered
567 Posts
I can tell you a stock version of the K&N filter has no sound change at any rpm. I bought it only cause I don't have to buy another for a while. I changed over to it @ 14k. There is no performance gains and no MPG gains from the XV that I noticed.

I seriously can't see a "Stock" version of an air filter could change the sound of the vehicle. You want a new exhaust sound... Change the exhaust, like ScoobyXv-l did.

Even a ram air or cold air intake is minimal on changing the overall sound. Well unless the car is running and you lift the hood... Then you can hear a difference using this setup.

·
Registered
275 Posts
coreybarnett said:
Well in my experience with K&N on my trans am, I had problems with my MAF and the engine only lasted until 165k miles. My mom's mercedes had a K&N and her MAF went out. I tend to believe that they do let in more junk than a paper filter, and you can just trash the paper filter when done. As of right now I think im going to just keep the paper filter.
Over-oiling your filters? MAF sesnor cleaner is not expensive.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wellll, Guess I'll have to hear it for myself... Those Aussies do have a flare for life ! Maybe it transfers to their Crosstreks ! I like the sound of my XV vs the 09 Forester. I can hear a bit of "growl" ! ...and I like it !

·
Registered
45 Posts
The sensor issue is usually due to over-oiling of the filter after cleaning. Some extra induction noise is possible with a drop-in and definite with an open element CAI, usually at close to, or at full throttle. If it makes you happy, buy it. Always remember that there are no hard, fast rules that apply to every car equally about performance modifications. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've run K&N drop in filters in every car and motorcycle I have owned. Noticed a little bit of lower end grunt, but not much more. Only had a MAF problem when I over oiled the filter, otherwise nothing but good experiences with them...

·
Registered
611 Posts
K&N bought out a company that made dry washable air filters, AEM Dry Air Filters. That's what I purchased, with the addition of removing the carbon vapor screen. To top it off I installed a high flow muffler. I gain a little bit of performance, but no gain in MPG.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts