Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ultra 4.7 on factory rails.(Mock fit) A couple of 2x4 bunks that will be rubberized or carpeted to stop the wobbling. Could also transport hull side up. Waiting on my reciever for a rear tie down point and already tried the tow eye for the front.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Cool. How you loading the kayak? I have a hobie outback and it's easy to load with 2 people but I haven't figured out a way with 1 person. Might try just putting a blanket on the back and sliding her up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I personally wouldn't do it that way. Not sure if the spoiler can handle the weight, but if you try it, remember to remove the antenna.
I grab a side handle, lift to where its on its side.(hull towards my shins) Then I continue to lift but focusing on lifting the stern before the bow. while I'm doing this I'm bending my knees and getting under the kayak. then I lift the whole thing over my head and balance the kayak. this is done about ten feet away from the vehicle. once I have control I walk to the xv and slowly slide it onto the rails.

With a hobie outback I would also lift from the side handle but this time have the hull facing away from my shins. This way I don't have to reach over that little cargo/tray area to get the handle. Then keep one hand on the handle and the other on the seat area. Push the seat area up, bend the knees and get under the kayak. then continue to lift until its over your head. Walk over to the xv and get it on there. those are nice boats and pretty wide. That bad boy might come close to the edges of the factory rails.

A tip is to make sure your facing the wind when lifting/loading the kayak. If the wind catches it broadside while getting it up, all kinds of craziness happens. I've been kayak fishing since 1997, I've had all kinds of kayaks, vehicles, trailers, and plenty of practice bumping them ;)

This is how I used to transport my kayak.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Here is mine with my canoe on top, it's a 14 footer.

if you go through the vents below the grill you see to holes in the frame kinda behind the headlights or around them. I simply hook it to there for the front portion of the canoe.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I also have a WS Commander 140 and a 12 foot canoe and with those I can lift and put on by myself but the Outback is a different beast ... it's heavier and more awkward to get a hold of.

·
Registered
800 Posts
It might have been because I was using older straps, but I found when I tied down over the hood as andthereyouare has in the above pic, I had a ton of black marks all over my paint. Seemed like the straps laid over the car more than I've experienced in other vehicles. I've always done two central loops, plus front and back tie downs, but recently I have been using this method:

Two loops over the crossbars and kayak. Then, there is one strap in the center that ties down the kayak to the roof rack itself (not the crossbars), by going through the handles I have in my tandem. I took this recently on an 450 mile trip to and from NC at highways speeds, and didn't have even the slightest movement front/back or side/side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts