Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we have any kayakers on the board?

I have always wanted to buy one but just have never bitten the bullet. I am looking to spend under $300 for a starter kayak, does anyone have any recommendations?

I am not looking for white water or wave riding, just cruising around in the inlets and marinas in the LA area.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am an avid kayaker. For that price range, you really can't beat the Emotion Edge, especially if you use it in calm waters as described. It is a bit short, but it is really stable. I own 13 different kayaks, and while this is one of my cheaper ones I find myself using the most for a more relaxing kayaking trip. They run around $450 new, but I found mine used on craigslist for around $300. Happy hunting! ;)

-LeatherDaddy

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, 13 really?! That's a few more than what I need right now. Why so many? Just a different one for every scenario?

That's funny, though. The Emotion Edge was one of the first ones that came up in my search so far. Glad to hear from someone else that it is good. I'll look for a used one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Those are pretty! But they would not hold up to the kayaking we do around these parts. Especially with the really low water we have been having lately :mad: The bottom of every boat we have is thrashed at this point. Thank goodness for durable, flexible plastic.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've built two boats and restored two other wooden boats. Another great hobby. I quit when I left the Pacific Northwest. Had a 40' wooden sailing yacht when I lived up there.

I keep toying with building an outboard skiff for putting around the harbors. Yay, Crosstrek could tow one. Thumbsup!

You could always add a layer of carbonfiber when you 'glass the bottom. Probly be indistructable.

CLC has some really neat boat designs and kits for the DIY'r. Check out their website. I'll bet you'll be hooked. Wooden boats are just so classy.
And they're so lightweight.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Cool pics CJBROWN. Right now my wife and I only have one kayak- a sit on top tandem. Its worked great to get her into kayaking, and maybe one day we'll buy to individual ones.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome kayaks, CJ. If I had the time and space I would try something like that, but I simply don't. I have a garage but two cars park in it and there is no room to even store tools in it (if I had any). Maybe someday I could do something like that. I still want a kayak, though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The "Peeler Skiff" is the one I like. Maybe one of these days...
Oh, and I can't get anything else in our garage either, the old car is there and all the bikes. ::)

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CJBROWN said:
The "Peeler Skiff" is the one I like. Maybe one of these days...
Oh, and I can't get anything else in our garage either, the old car is there and all the bikes. ::)

That thing is awesome! How much does it cost? I actually have a huge fenced in vacant lot behind my house that I have access to. Something like that little Peeler would be awesome.

·
Registered
194 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
That thing is awesome! How much does it cost? I actually have a huge fenced in vacant lot behind my house that I have access to. Something like that little Peeler would be awesome.
John has some really nice designs (CLC Boats). They come out each year for an on-the-water demo in Newport Beach. Kayaks and skiffs, and the last time I went they had one of their cruiser sailboats there that a local had built.

The Peeler Skiff kit is a couple'a grand, plus a trailer and motor. Many of the kayak kits are about a thousand. Many of his designs are "stitch-and-glue" wherein plywood panels are stitched together with wire and then the whole thing is epoxy encapsulated make them impervious to everything including water, and they are lightweight, durable, and very good looking.

Here's their little sailing cruiser they call "Pocket Ship". It's just 15' but has a full cabin and can be trailered behind a car:

·
Registered
714 Posts
That's a very pretty cat boat! That boat design is fantastic, super super easy to sail. They were designed for fishermen to sail alone even while fishing. I started sailing in a boat just like that.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Well, it's not really a catboat, but it sure looks like one doesn't it? It's such a neat design, probably the best I've ever seen for that size. I would love to have one but probly wouldn't use it enough to justify it.

Here's another shot of one under sail with a spinnaker set and the jib furled:

·
Registered
714 Posts
True, it's a catboat with a jib! Same mast placement just ad a jib so the darn thing moves! I love the classic catboats but dam are they slow!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Beautiful boats. I grew up on the water with my dad owning a small catamaran then a Sunfish, and a few of my aunts/uncles owning motorboats (Boston Whalers, Carolina Skiffs, etc). Makes me really miss boating seeing these pics.

·
Registered
714 Posts
It's been way too long since I've gotten back out east. About two years actually but we're finally going this year! My parents have a tiny summer place out there (no insulation a billion bedrooms and a tiny kitchen, classic summer cottage status). He went out and bought a new boat last year so we can do some more serious fishing. Had a parker 19ft center console, good for by the shore but not for much more than that. He just bought a SeaVee 390! Time to get some tuna!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Subir_roo said:
It's been way too long since I've gotten back out east. About two years actually but we're finally going this year! My parents have a tiny summer place out there (no insulation a billion bedrooms and a tiny kitchen, classic summer cottage status). He went out and bought a new boat last year so we can do some more serious fishing. Had a parker 19ft center console, good for by the shore but not for much more than that. He just bought a SeaVee 390! Time to get some tuna!
Where out east will you be headed?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Subir_roo said:
Parker 19 to SeaVee 390?? Oh my.

Then you know about Grady White boats. We ran a 20-footer for about three years and loved it. Had to sell when wifey lost her job the first time. Put 350 hours on it, some of that chasing tuna out here off the CA coast. In '05-'06 (can't recall exactly) the tuna, dorado (dolphin-fish as you call them out there) and marlin were up from Mexico. Was hot!!

SeaVea is a helluva boat...
Does it really have FOUR outboards????

My Grady 20 offshore...150hp Yamaha, on Mojave Lake below Hoover Damn, NV/AZ/CA:

About a 40lb yellow-fin tuna on here:

We would do a lot of lobstering out here too:

I grew up boating with my folks in the PNW, then had my own string of boats. Seriously into sailboats up there. Sold this Alden Yawl when we left Seattle in '92. This is from the cover of Nor'wester magazing from the '60's, built in Oregon in 1958:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Everyone needs 4 outboards! It's only 1200HP ;D I have yet to play with it but I hear the thing hauls ass... especially for a basically 40ft long boat. They're rated up to 1400HP and she'll hit 60-70MPH no problem. We are planning on doing some serious blue water fishing with it. Big plus is it only draws about 2 feet sitting still so a usable boat in any case.

That is a gorgeous yawl. We do a lot of sport fishing so have never invested personally in a sailboat but have done quite a bit of sailing as well. Best by far was taking a friends 44'' sloop from San Diego to Miami. Got to take it through the Panama Canal which was quite a trip. Sailed up from there along the coast then cut out to the Bahamas and back to Miami.

I wish I could get out and sail more often, or even get out to the water move often. Alas the real world does not cater to hopes and dreams!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts