Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd read on other forums that upgrading the tweeters alone provided a lot of bang for the buck and they were right. I just installed them and the difference is significant. It's almost like an entirely new system was installed (minus a sub). They go a long way towards fixing the muddiness of the stock speakers. I highly recommend the upgrade.

I didn't take photos because the upgrade is something easy enough for anyone to do.

1. Remove dash grilles - insert a thin piece of plastic (those store discount cards that you have on your keyrings are perfect - credit cards are a bit thick) around one of the corners and pop it up. Then all you have to do is lift up and the entier piece will pop off easily.

2. Remove the two screws securing the speakers. You will want a very short phillips screwdriver. It may not look like you have enough room but the mounting area flexes and you can push it down a bit. Even so my tiny screwdriver was in contact with the windshield the entire time.

3. Use a screwdriver to depress the side of the clip that secures the wiring to the speaker and pull it out.

4. Attach the clip to the new speaker

5. Mount the speaker using the supplied screws.

6. Push the grille back on.

This video (not mine) does a pretty good job at illustrating the difference. Compare the first 30secs to the part starting at about 1:05

http://youtu.be/kN6vyN_9hGY

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the info on the install. Seems pretty easy. Any idea how hard it is to remove the door panels to replace the door speakers?

Also, I have the premium model without nav and was wondering if I even have the tweeters up front, and if not, can the Kicker ones be added just as easily?

Thanks in advance,
Dustin

·
Registered
927 Posts
ThePenguin said:
Thanks for the info on the install. Seems pretty easy. Any idea how hard it is to remove the door panels to replace the door speakers?

Also, I have the premium model without nav and was wondering if I even have the tweeters up front, and if not, can the Kicker ones be added just as easily?

Thanks in advance,
Dustin

Dustin,

Tweeter should be in the outer most corners of the dash.... you have them ( 99% sure you have them ) Do this upgrade before you get your moldings.... I have yet to get the kicker upgrade, but I will. I have everything else I need... except LED conversion.. 8)

·
Registered
800 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kyakdvl said:
I did the tweeter only upgrade last week. Very happy. I'll get the door speakers later. I went through my stealer for mine it was like $112 with tax.
FWIW the door speakers are definitely worth the upgrade as well. I'm happy the whole package.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just installed my Kicker tweeters. I'm a mechanical klutz and I had no problem. Very easy upgrade, especially with the proper tools. Radio sounds better. The real test will be when I get on the highway. Thanks to all for their installation stories.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, new to this forum. Thought I'd upload some photos for those who are interested. So easy, I did it at the car park of my hardware store where I bought the screw driver :).

The tweeters are a good upgrade. Stuff like sax, cymbals and guitar are a lot crisper/clearer with a good improvement in the stereo stage. But I was only satisfied for a few weeks before I decided to upgrade the door speakers as well.

BTW, I think the speaker grilles don't do the tweeters any favours. Take off the grilles and listen for yourself :).

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Twenty minutes tops. And I'm an IT guy :D. Use a plastic tool to lift the speaker cover. Pops straight out. Go easy on the screws as they screw into plastic. And the tweeters fit one way.

You may want to use heat resistant double sided tape to secure the speaker cover because these are the source of some of the rattles some have reported.

·
Registered
567 Posts
So I'm wondering with all of you peeps that installed the tweeters. Is the mounting bracket separate from the tweeter? I ask only cause I want to install Polk DXI components and would love to use the bracket then to have to make one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Base is attached. Wouldn't be hard to make an adaptor for different tweeters but room is the issue. Also, for the crossover unit, there is plenty of room inside the door panels - just under the arm rest. (Where Subaru placed a 0.001cent piece of polystyrene :) )

Let us know how you go - with pics:).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts