Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,
I have a '13 with 55,000 miles.
on a trip home from vacation I noticed a noise coming from the left rear tire area of the car. the best way to describe the noise is a "Whirring" noise, not quite a "grinding" noise and similar to an exhaust growl... almost like the noise some tires make on certain pavement types but this happens on all pavement types.
it seems to start around 20mph and gets a bit louder with acceleration up to about 40mph where the volume tops out. the noise changes with speed so I am assuming it is some rotating part.
I thought it may be the loud POS Yokahama tires I have on it but I rotated the tires and the noise stayed in the left rear.
I checked the CV boots and they are not ripped
I checked for "hot spots" immediately after driving and didn't find anything unusual (different from the other side)
Anyone experience this problem before?
thanks for the input.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Sounds odd. A whir noise may imply something drivetrain related... Perhaps a wheel bearing, but the only way to find out is to actually have a technician inspect it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have 57000 on my 13' and have the same noise. It started at like 48000 miles. I took mine to the dealer thinking wheel bearing. Was told it was just tire noise, that they used a scope and the bearings were fine.

Just over 6000 miles later, and a new set of tires the noise is still there. It's going back to the dealer on Thursday. (As it destroyed my tires in the last 6000 miles) so we'll see if they can figure it out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ugh. So I dropped mine off today. Hoping to get the noise fixed. Service advisor tells me since I have the gold extended warranty *if* it's a wheel bearing I'll have a $100 deductible....

Yeah. No I won't dude. Subaru covers it to 60,000.
Also. *if* it's a wheel bearing it's you guys who screwed up. So it's not me who will be paying any deductible.

So far they've had the car for 4 hrs. And I've heard nothing from them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
They called. "Oh it's the wheel bearing making that noise, it was pretty easy to diagnose. "

Really? Because 8,000 miles ago you told me it was nothing but tire noise! That you have even used a scope and could find no noise or problem!

Any my tire issue is being blamed on an alignment. They claim the tech can tell just by the wheel. Ok. So where was this tech when I had the car checked out 6,000 miles ago? Or all the other times I've had service???

I think I've totally lost trust in this dealers service department. I live smack dab in the middle between 2 unrelated subar dealers. I guess I'll be taking my service business the other direction from now on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got mine back...it was the wheel bearing. Of course they mucked up the backing plate either taking it off the axel or trying to get the bearing out...and didn't have one in stock so they kept it over night. Gave me a rental, all covered under warranty...no out of pocket costs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just got mine back as well. It's amazingly silent.

They did try to get me to pay the deductible on my extended warranty with a "well there's nothing we can do on the deductible" to which I countered uh yeah there is. Since Subaru covers it to 60000 miles.

They also did an alignment and comped me on that due to my complaints, as they should have caught/done/suggested that earlier.

I also had a loaner for the night. I only ended up paying to top the gas off, as I put almost 100 miles on the thing.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Jeez, the experience you've gotten from that service department is a little bit off-putting.

But I'm glad both of you were able to both find out the root cause (bad wheel bearing) as well as get it properly resolved.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My Crosstrek has 63000 miles on it and has the same issue. Took it to one dealer that said the car was 'operating normally'. Took it to another dealer 2 days later and they said the problem is both rear wheel bearings are bad.

My history on this forum will show that I'm really not a fan of this car (or Subaru any longer) and the only reason I still have it is that my company is paying for 3/4 of the purchase price. This is the second Subaru I've owned (from new) that has begun having issues at 60K mark. I think that back when Subaru was niche vehicle with a small but loyal following their QC was much higher. Their vehicles were virtually 'bulletproof' and they stood head and shoulders above comparable manufacturers like Honda and Toyota. Now that they have become more popular and mainstream, I think they have had to ramp up production and their QC has fallen to the point where they are simply on par with H and T. Still good but nowhere near what they once were.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I love the crosstrek. But the experience I've had with it and the dealership and some repairs, I seriously considered trading it off for a Toyota RAV4 or highlander.

Right now I'm keeping it. But at this point I'm not sure if it will be staying around the entire life of the loan.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I totally agree. When I first saw the Crosstrek I thought that this was the perfect vehicle for me. I learned the lesson to avoid buying any 1st year vehicle with the Tribeca but I thought that, minus a few differences (bigger brakes, beefier frame, larger fuel tank), it was an Impreza on steroids. Proven technology. I could even accept the anemic engine since my racing days are over and the Subaru badge on the front still meant something to me.

Crafty dealer gave me a brand new Crosstrek as a loaner. All the goodies with 6 miles on it. A few years ago I might have jumped on it and traded mine but not any more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I totally agree. When I first saw the Crosstrek I thought that this was the perfect vehicle for me. I learned the lesson to avoid buying any 1st year vehicle with the Tribeca but I thought that, minus a few differences (bigger brakes, beefier frame, larger fuel tank), it was an Impreza on steroids. Proven technology. I could even accept the anemic engine since my racing days are over and the Subaru badge on the front still meant something to me.

Crafty dealer gave me a brand new Crosstrek as a loaner. All the goodies with 6 miles on it. A few years ago I might have jumped on it and traded mine but not any more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a loaded forester as my loaner. The big sun roof and all the room was nice... But I'm just not sure if I'd want another Subaru, the toyotas we've owned seem to be much more trouble free. I expected the crosstrek to proven tech like you said. And maybe it's just because I've had some poor dealer experiences, but, you know. The jury is still out on how I feel about it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So, after a week and a half I got my Crosstrek back. Ended up having to rebuild most of the rear end. Subaru and the dealership (2nd one) were no less than outstanding in addressing my concern. They really stepped up.
As stated earlier, my loaner vehicle was a brand new Crosstrek Premium. It literally did everything better than my 2013. It seems that even the little traits I didn't care for in my Crosstrek were addressed in the newer model. If I had driven this a month ago I would have seriously considered trading mine in for this one. I'm sorry to say that even though I believe Subaru as a company is still top notch, I have lost faith in Subaru reliability and I plan to trade in my Crosstrek as soon as it is feasible.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had a loaded 2001 Chevy Impala, that was beautiful but I lost track of the recalls. Luckily, they were all covered under warranty. I also replaced wheel bearings in my 2004 Mazda 3, at least twice. You get that telltale whine, and know you have a certain window before you have a $300.00 bill coming. Cars break, straight up. They are mechanical, and no matter how well you care for them, things break. The more new conveniences, the more chance that they will malfunction. Adding a small amount to a monthly payment may not be the worst idea. I'm not buying paint products that are hype, but a hundred deductible for a major mechanical part can be piece of mind. I also have an 11 Camry. I've got just over 100k. I bought a warranty until 7 years or 125 k. If I don't use it, I'm looking at getting back about $800.00. I know this is not usually offered, but I bought the car through a family member in the business. He won't let me buy a car without buying a warranty. I've lucked out, because I get his price. I'm hoping not to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Problem: Subaru reviewed my noise and it was the rear bearings wearing out. I have 53K on my 2013 and live in with salted roads roads in the winter and the bearings wearing out is a common problem.

solution: replace both the bearing assemblies. Subaru can do the test for $60 (near me) and determine if it is the problem. Bearings ran about $250 each (best to do both at the same time), and $500 for the labor. Ended up taking it to a local mechanic and saved $150 in labor. Problem is fixed and tires are not wearing down like before.

Thanks for the posts! It helped in figuring out the problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts