Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how's the stock sound system in the crosstrek? do they offer a premium upgrade or anything of the like? my experience in the past is, even though I am by no means an audiophile, subaru always seems to lack in the sound department.

thoughts from current owners?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have read from many people that it isn't a great sounding system. Apparently changing the head unit and tweeters improves the sound quality a lot. My XV that's on the way has the upgraded Kicker door speakers. I think I will probably toss in the Kicker tweeters also and see how it is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tech707 said:
I have read from many people that it isn't a great sounding system. Apparently changing the head unit and tweeters improves the sound quality a lot. My XV that's on the way has the upgraded Kicker door speakers. I think I will probably toss in the Kicker tweeters also and see how it is.
Thanks to you both! If you don't mind posting how the upgraded Kicker system sounds that would be great. Again, i am no audiophile but i cant stand speakers that crack or pop when you turn them up just a little bit (like my current car).

·
Registered
88 Posts
It's ok. Mozart & Beethoven sounded great. Black Eyed Peas I had to reduce the bass cause it felt like the speakers were gonna give. I live between NY & Philadelphia and I feel my Scion xB with no physical/external antenna had better reach than my newly acquired XV.

·
Registered
74 Posts
AWDking said:
Tech707 said:
Thanks to you both! If you don't mind posting how the upgraded Kicker system sounds that would be great. Again, i am no audiophile but i cant stand speakers that crack or pop when you turn them up just a little bit (like my current car).
I'll post back up once I take delivery in a few weeks. I'm going to see how it is with just the 4 speaker upgrade, but I have read the tweeters are more of a necessity than the door speakers. I'll probably be shopping for those almost immediately. I don't see myself needing/wanting an upgraded HU anytime soon.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I hooked up my iPod to the USB port yesterday for the 1st time and it sounded great...but the folder structure (I think) limits you to continuous listening to one album at time? I'm going to make up some playlists and see if it will play a large playlist without issues.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think the sound isn't bad. I've had an aftermarket system but that was 10 yrs ago and the stock Subie system isn't that great in comparison to my old system. However, for the price we paid for the car I think it is adequate.

·
Registered
714 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
I can't get over the USB interface. It's too bad for me to bother with at this point for me so I stick to Bluetooth. I do think the system sounds pretty good, though.
You don't have to use the interface though! Once it's connected it will generally default to the first song in alphabetical order and play that. But once it's playing you can grab your iWhatever (I use my iPhone) and pick songs/albums/playlists just like you would any other day, so you can bypass the goofy controls in the head unit.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Subir_roo said:
ClubCrosstrek said:
I can't get over the USB interface. It's too bad for me to bother with at this point for me so I stick to Bluetooth. I do think the system sounds pretty good, though.
You don't have to use the interface though! Once it's connected it will generally default to the first song in alphabetical order and play that. But once it's playing you can grab your iWhatever (I use my iPhone) and pick songs/albums/playlists just like you would any other day, so you can bypass the goofy controls in the head unit.
Yeah, but I had a USB stick plugged directly in, not an MP3 player. I may pick up an iPod eventually to keep in there.

·
Registered
164 Posts
When I hooked up my iPod Nano to the stereo at the dealership (to see how it worked) the screen displayed a Subaru logo and it was impossible to control the iPod from its own controls. I could select albums from the car radio though. This was the radio without Nav, btw.

·
Registered
927 Posts
The iPods will do that... the device controls are disabled. the iPhones, however, will NOT get disabled when using the USB interface...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I personally felt the sound system was really poor - the factory speakers are really the cheapest you can get. For $150 I got some nice Polk's and put them in the doors and WOW what a difference. It is not Carnegie Hall, or an Opera Hall, but the improvement is VERY noticeable. The XV is my wife's car and she even said how much more she likes the stereo now with just a new set of speakers. I would recommend everyone that can afford it do it, you will be pleasantly surprised.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts