Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a similar message a few days ago, so forgive me for posting something related again, but now with new updates... just want to see if anybody has any new ideas...

I just got a new XV Crosstrek about a week ago. Within a day or so I noticed an intermittent rapid click rattle in the dash area when going over rough pavement and bumps. It sounds like almost like a tapping morse code/static clicking that happens in rapid succession as the dash area vibrates over roads. However, when I pressed down on the drivers side speaker grille area, it seemed to go away. I first thought that it may have been a loose speaker connection causing static, although the speaker is working fine.

I took it in to the Subaru dealer today. I went for a ride with the service technician and we both heard the issue. He removed the drivers side speaker grille and speaker, but the clicking rattle was still present over bumpy roads - without the speaker or grille there. He also removed the drivers side A-pillar cover and added foam tape to the lower part where the A-pillar cover would meet the dash side panel, but we still heard the rattle noise. I got a call later after leaving for work that they fixed the issue - repair note said "Found Bulbhead (sp?) panel out of adjustment. Tightened panel an no noise present" - not sure if they meant "bulkhead" panel or not - but this seems to be a dashboard mounting panel I suppose. I think they were just guessing with trial and error and taking it back out for test drives.

Of course within a short distance after picking my new car up, there was the clicking rattle again. I headed right back to the dealer and had the service rep ride with me. He heard it and said they'll have to try again. He's going to try to get the regional Subaru corporate technical rep to check it out. Also said they haven't seen this issue before or seen a service bulletin from Subaru. I think they're stumped...

Does anybody have any ideas as to what it may be or what else to check?? Has anybody had a similar issue or heard of this that can offer assistance and guidance? Any Subaru techs and/or experts out there that can offer suggestions?

Kinda frustrated since this is a brand new car... Thanks.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have the same Morrse code noise too. But not a rattle so much but sort of a feedback noise coming from the right side of the car hat sounds like Morrse code. But only at 90 mph.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've noticed the same noise a couple times now, it seems to be coming from the same area. I can't remember the specifics of how fast I was going, but when I put pressure near the speaker grill the rattle stopped. It's not constant so I hadn't really thought about taking it in, maybe I'll mention it at my next oil change...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was going to suggest checking the A-column cover, but it seems like they already did that. This is where I was having a consistent rattling sound from (especially coming from the passenger side). When I was putting in the Kicker tweeters, I put some padding under the ends of the cover and the issue went away.

I would just double-check their work in this regard -- to me, some foam tape under there wouldn't completely eliminate the problem. I cut up some old cotton clothing material and stuffed it under there to completely fill the area (there is a lot of empty space behind those A-column covers, and the cover itself is very flimsy plastic which vibrates easily while driving, causing it to tap against the grill and A-column itself).

You can test this without having to drive the car: simply take your finger and lightly tap the area near the end of the A-column near the speaker grill. Before I added padding, doing this would replicate the rattling noise I was hearing while driving over bumpy roads. After I added padding, there was no noise when tapping or driving.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is it only coming on when the rear windshield wiper is moving? I get a clicking noise out of the fuse box when the rear windshield wiper is moving. I assume it is just the fuse transferring power to the wiper motor in the back. It was annoying at first but now I don't even notice it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This could also eliminate the tap, popping sound I get when I hit road seams when the cabin is warm from sitting in the sun. When I tap either A Pillar, I get the flimsy plastic vibrate noise. I think the pillar covers have small plastic tabs that go into slots into the dash assembly near the speaker...that often times is the source of the noises.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts