Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,
first post...
i have researched the forums for most of my new owner questions and have found great answers(these include cabin noise, radio questions, etc.).
however i cannot find anything on what is by far my most annoying gripe with my crosstrek...

i have what i can only explain as a loose steering wheel, not your typical out of balance wheel vibration, but something i have never experienced in owning many cars over 27 years of driving. took the car into the dealership today and they rotated wheels, aligned the car, adjusted tire pressure, etc....no help! the mechanic is 25+ years on subarus and thinks maybe the "new" power steering has something to so with it(this after he also inspected the general "firmness" of the steering wheel connection).

don't get me wrong this problem is not horrible(it does not feel like the wheel is coming off, but just enough to be really annoying)...basically the only way i can describe it is...slow speeds(20-25mph) and highway speeds the steering wheel, when i roll over even very small bumps, moves side to side and generally feels "wobbly". what is interesting is it feels the worst when my hand is it at 12:00, less at 9:00, and even less at 7:00.

just don't know, i am hoping you guys might know something, or at least ease my mind and tell me this just the way it is(really stinks because i would trade tight and solid steering feedback for less horsepower, and a lot of other things).

thanks in advance

·
Registered
40 Posts
The steering is electrically assisted rather than the conventional belt driven hydraulic pump. Our Lexus RX400h Hybrid is like this. It does feel different and takes some getting used to.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts