Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: went to check my oil the other day, only to discover a rat had eaten part of my under hood insulation! After whining about it to my sister, she told me her horror story. Not only did mice eat her insulation, they ruined her brand new Honda CRV. It came to a head when they got into the interior and engine. Imported acorns, where it ended up sticking her throttle on, and almost caused her to wreck. So now every night I have to spray wheel wells and under the hood with pine sol to keep out the rodents. So far no new damage. Might have to put some hardware cloth in a few places as well. It happens in back country areas that have had recent fires nearby.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've heard of this before actually. Be thankful you have a garage!

I vote snap trap w peanut butter... situation will be resolved quickly and efficiently. ;D

·
Registered
73 Posts
I wonder if pinsol around the interior and exterior of your garage would keep the mice out of your garage. Maybe less of a hassle than doing the car nightly.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Had the same problem in a prizm. Apparently, mice don't like dryer sheets. I bought some cheap dryer sheets and stuffed one in the spot where the mice had dug out some insulation, no mice from then on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Take a some mothballs and put them under the hood. We had the same issue at our place. There is a mothball apparatus that has a hanger like a coat hanger and a plastic "cage". I wire tied it to some of the structure. It smells a bit funky when it gets hot but it keeps the rats / squirrels away.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Wow, I guess I should be on the lookout for pests, now that the temperatures are starting to climb...

·
Registered
32 Posts
My old 98 Outback was in "storage" at my parents house up along the tree line. Apparently it became a mouse condo in the time it was there. When it came time for its return to civilization, my father couldn't keep the car running. Turns out that mice had stuffed the entire exhaust and other parts of the car full of acorns! He finally fished out the better part of a 5 gallon pail of acorns along with one dead mouse. :p

·
Registered
275 Posts
go to a pharmacy or vitamin store and look for the small bottle of peppermint oil. Rodents hate it as it burns their sensitive sinus cavities. dab on some cotton balls and swab the area they are getting in or toss the cotton balls around. Bonus: minty fresh smell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Car manufacturers pandered to green folks and now use soybean based plastics. Mice love soybeans (I live on a farm). GM went crazy over using lots of food grade wiring. Mice ate the fuel injector and AWD wiring out of my Traverse. Luckily State Farm covered it but I paid deductible. Sad to see Subaru making same mistake.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
I mentioned this in another thread, but I do recall Honda selling anti-rodent electrical tape that is designed to deter rodents from further consuming one's electrical wiring.

But really, I believe it's just capsaicin-laced bait tape.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Had this problem a while back, mice were eating insulation under hood and actually got into the air box and made a nest out of my air filter. Didn't notice for a while, luckily the charcoal filter prevented the chewed up pieces from getting sucked in. Solved the airbox issue:

http://www.clubcrosstrek.com/forums/f27/mouse-in-air-box-2646.html

Mouse traps placed strategically under the hood with a peanut butter/chocolate sauce mixture are excellent as well, just remember to check them before you drive haha.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have had good luck with dryer sheets that I place in my camper every year when winterizing. I have had mice eat thru electrical harness on one of my ex-vehicles..they actually gnawed thru 12 gauge wire completely...found out with a check engine light..my grandmother had mice in has car years ago, never could get it to work 100%, always was going into the shop for electrical issues...

so..take care of it quickly, they can do damage that can't be fixed/diagnosed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts