Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was curious if any of you have noticed your miles to empty starting number dropping at all? Mine for the last few tanks has dropped from the usual 420 miles to 410, now 400. While driving a few miles in town running errands and only driving 10 miles or so noticed it down to 360. Does the computer track your type of driving and adjust? Why would my fill up number drop? At that point, isn't it starting over?

Just curious. I just did 430 miles on a road trip to the mountains with three guys and all our gear including a full roof basket. Pretty impressive.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I believe it bases the miles to empty on your current average fuel economy and how much is left in the tank. So if you fill up then do a lot of city driving it will be lower than if you fill up then jump on the highway.

·
Registered
421 Posts
chasem said:
I believe it bases the miles to empty on your current average fuel economy and how much is left in the tank. So if you fill up then do a lot of city driving it will be lower than if you fill up then jump on the highway.
I agree, this sounds reasonable

·
Registered
714 Posts
That's exactly what it does! Mine seems to float around 400-410. But when I drive a lot of highway it goes up a bit and city takes it down a bit.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm running a pretty good tank this time around and when I got home tonight it was at 530 total. Indicated avg is at 35.4, 320 miles into the tank and remaining is at 210.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Definitely varies due to driving style, weather, cargo load, etc. I've seen everything from 410 when I fill up to a high of 540. With my roofracks on and mostly highway driving, I usually see around 460 miles until empty with a full tank.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent! Thanks guys! I noticed that on my way home it jumped up 20 miles as well indicating the fuel economy went up thanks to finally doing a quick highway drive. This makes sense. Considering my last Subaru (Impreza Outback Sport 2.5), the mileage of this car thus far is great...particularly with a relatively new engine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I filled up today and it reported that I had 480 miles until empty. It usually shows that I'm averaging around 30 to 31 MPG with non-highway driving.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mine was 290 when I got it and after first fill up (8 gallons), it went up to 300. :-[ Yeah, I take shorter trips but do hit the hwy for a few miles. I watch that MPG gauge now and if I could do 60 MPH everywhere, I'd get good mileage. ;D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Mine showed only 320 at the last fillup but I've only got 700+ miles on it. I hear it gets better.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have gotten 525 miles from my tank all Highway driving from Paker CO, to Grand Junction CO and back. Normally my tank will show about 410 miles to empty

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine never shows more than 360(500 miles on the car)and with mostly city driving the average is 22 - 24mpg. Expect a little better as mile increase. But hey, compare to my Sportrac at 12 - 13mpg, I am not even using gas, lol.

paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've noticed that it seems to update the display in 10 mile increments, so I don't know if I really have 20 miles to empty or 15 miles, when it only shows 20, then 10. Is there a way to have it show a more granular (accurate) display of miles to empty?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've noticed that it seems to update the display in 10 mile increments, so I don't know if I really have 20 miles to empty or 15 miles, when it only shows 20, then 10. Is there a way to have it show a more granular (accurate) display of miles to empty?
It's a guesstimate at best, based on the approximate amount of fuel left as well as your driving habits. The whole idea of trying to drive to within 10 miles of empty is probably not a good practice. I believe our cars, like most today, have the electric fuel pump located in the fuel tank and uses the fuel to cool the pump. Repeatedly running the tank to a fraction of a gallon left can't be good for the pump. And no, I'm pretty sure there is no adjustment for the accuracy of the read out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts