Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Now THAT I would drive... Of course the leaF springs would have to go in favor of a 4 link long arm setup. And maybe a nice LS7 coupled with a 4L80e and atlas III....Dana 60's(it's already got them... Notice the 8 lug pattern).

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
I would prefer a production-relevant 4-wheel independent setup but I'm weird like that.

·
Registered
927 Posts
AWDfreak said:
I would prefer a production-relevant 4-wheel independent setup but I'm weird like that.

I'll take linked and coiled solid axles over independent suspension any day of the week for offroad... that's what I would use it for.. a purpose-built rig.

·
Registered
714 Posts
What kind of off road are we talking about? In reality the purpose built independent suspension is starting to take the cake for serious off road at both high and low speed. Take a look at the lineup for King Of The Hammers, there's a lot more out there than you'd imagine.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I hear ya... I am referring to low speed crawling like my annual trips to The Rubicon. I will leave the high-speed ( and high dollar) wheelin to the deep pocketed, adrenalin junkies. I get my rush from crawling over boulders here at Moon Rocks and Bronco Canyon.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Totally understand! Those fully independent long travel set ups are INSANELY expensive and complicated to produce. For a good old personal use crawler/trail rig you can't beat a straight axle and a few simple links!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yup. Long travel $60,000 turboed rails in the dunes are awesome to ride in but a kick in the @$$ when they break. Same with the King of the Hammer rigs

·
Registered
243 Posts
Xtrekr said:
AWDfreak said:

I'll take linked and coiled solid axles over independent suspension any day of the week for offroad... that's what I would use it for.. a purpose-built rig.
Agreed.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I Googled Desert Khaki a while back and noticed this image. It's apparently a crowd-sourced developed military vehicle from a company named DARPA.

And this is by DARPA as well.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts