Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got the moon roof without navigation. Moon roof was definitely worth it. A new GPS is around 100 bucks that we buy every few years, rather than a 1000$ navigation system that is stuck in your car forever.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Obviously, it's really just a personal decision. I got moonroof and nav. I went for this since nav is becoming a "standard" item in cars. I thought about it, and realized in the long run, the car would have better resale/trade in value if I at least had the nav. I use the nav only on occasion, but I wear out that moonroof.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went for the moonroof and it's already been a good investment, but I was smart enough to steer clear of the navigation system. Why invest 1200.00 in something that will be obsolete in 2-3 years, if you plan on keeping the car for at least that? And why spend that kind of money if you already have an iPhone5? Siri will take me anywhere I want to go. Ha!

·
Registered
3 Posts
We wanted a Limited for the Leather and Backup Camera, Climate Control etc. We wanted the moonroof but not the nav. Unfortunately Subaru will not separate the two in the Limited model. Seems almost like a punishment for buying the Higher Trim. We still almost bought a Limited with moonroof and nav that was Silver in color. However my wife couldn't take her eyes off the Orange Crosstrek Limited. So Orange it is. We had the dealer search for an Orange Limited with moonroof and nav and they said they couldn't find one within their 7 state region.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Moonroof... YES!! Sat/NAV.... maybe... depends on if you use it... I never had one and use it a lot when going new places... pretty handy...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have both the moonroof and the nav...love the former, hate the latter. I installed my trusty Garmin gps unit with lifetime map updates...rarely do I use the stock nav system.
After using the nav radio for a few months now I have to say that it is (imho) the weakest part of the entire Crosstrek experience. Will likely fit in an aftermarket head unit when I have the funds to do so. :-\

·
Registered
77 Posts
Have both and love the roof.
The navigation is worth it although it seems a bit difficult to use
without spending hrs. studying and experimenting. I always look at
a real map before venturing to unknown territories so can catch navi errors.

In SF yesterday it seemed to miss turns or be delayed, very frustrating.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Like Swami, I wanted a Limited, but not the Nav, so the moonroof wasn't an option for me. With roof-mounted bike racks (and dirty mountain bikes) I wasn't sure about the moonroof anyway.

After experiencing the Nav in my wife's 2011 Outback, I wouldn't have it even if it were free. As others have said, a $100 Garmin is much easier to use, comes with lifetime updates and can be used while the car is moving. Better yet is my iPhone 5.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Nav was a must have for me as I've grown tired of having a GPS stuck to my windshield and the moonroof not so much. However, I'm glad that I have the moonroof now.

Nav is easy to use, accurate, and it looks really good in the car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Out of curiosity, why do you guys in the US constantly refer to it as a "moonroof"? I tend to drive with mine open when it's warm - during the day. The moon can be up, but the sun is more prominent - hence why we call it a "sunroof" over here. Is it a "moonroof" when it's open, or closed?

·
Registered
27 Posts
not sure about the us but its a sunroof unless its more like the xtrail roof which is more then 30% of the roof space then its a moonroof

·
Registered
552 Posts
Ick72 said:
not sure about the us but its a sunroof unless its more like the xtrail roof which is more then 30% of the roof space then its a moonroof
FWIW

History of the 'Rooftops'

Way back in the late 70s, when this concept was the new big thing, they were called moonroofs. This was an opening in the roof of the car, which was initially made of the same material as the rest of the roof. This was usually done by the car owners themselves, as the car manufacturers of the time did not offer this feature in their cars. With its increasing popularity, car makers incorporated these roofs in their cars, and in fact these were the USPs of some of their top-selling cars of the time. Around 1973, the American Sunroof Company (now known as American Specialty Cars) made the first official moonroof. As mentioned before, this was simply a sunroof made of glass, and electronically operated. Ford used this in one of their vehicles, and it is now a standard accessory in most of their top-end sedans. Most big car manufacturers have since followed suit and offer a sunroof as an additional feature in their high-end cars. Today, most of these are made of glass, so as to let the light in, without the need to pop it open.
This might explain why older folk like myself refer to them as Moonroofs as that was the term I grew up with.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I call mine a "moonroof" because it's too hot and humid in Louisiana to open it during the day for a "sunroof" lol.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm enjoying the Nav/Sat radio. I read about how outdated it is, and slow to respond, etc. Haven't had any issues with it so far.

I would have liked to the moonroof, but when I bought in April there was not a lot of inventory. I was on the fence between a limited with moonroof, or my premium with nav/sat & backup camera for same price. The limited was black and I just couldn't put myself through the anxiety of owning another ivory interior car (my 07 Impreze OBS trade-in had ivory), so I went with the Khaki premium.

In a perfect world I would have gotten a Khaki limited with Nav, moonroof, black leather and climate control. But the price was right - at the right time...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Could not get the combo on the Premium. I opted for the Navigation. Don't care for that very much, but it comes with XM-Sirius radio (must for me) and the back-up camera which I love.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts