Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to calculate my own MPG on my last tank of gas to compare it to what my Crosstrek's computer was giving me. From my calculations (number of miles driven divided by gallons of gas used), I got ~24.5 MPG. However, according to my Crosstrek, I averaged 26.1 MPG over the same tank.

Who should I trust more?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Never doubt an actual calculation based on basic math, an odometer reading, and a gas receipt. This has to be the most accurate way. imho.

I was told that the car computer has to calibrate itself and it can take up to two months. When I have time and think about it I am going to google it and see just how the car does the math.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just filled mine for the first time, 27.7 mpg with the 5 speed. Computer said 26.6. Should expect a little more once the motor is broke in, plus who knows how much idle time at the dealer ship it had either! That's about 90% country roads/highway driving and 10% city.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Had my first fill up today. Dash was telling me 27 MPG, calculator told me 26.7. I was pleased my computer wasn't off by the ~2 mpg others have been reporting.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I never rely on the computer. Liters put in divided by km driven. With my Colt the computer displays higher fuel consumption than my own calculations.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
I decided to calculate my own MPG on my last tank of gas to compare it to what my Crosstrek's computer was giving me. From my calculations (number of miles driven divided by gallons of gas used), I got ~24.5 MPG. However, according to my Crosstrek, I averaged 26.1 MPG over the same tank.

Who should I trust more?
Trust your calculator!! : ) I have spoken with Subaru about my mileage and they told me to wait for two things: 1) the winter mix gas ending for the winter, and 2) wait for warmer weather.

I just went on a 1100 mile round trip (mostly interstate) and got 29.31 mpg (using the odometer, receipt, and a calculator.) While not bad, I had hoped for more. NOTE: I do drive 70 - 80 mph

I will update my mileage after it warms up here in PA.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts