Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

381 - 400 of 433 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kind of freaking out

After reading through most of the MPG posts, I am getting a little concerned. I have had my Crosstrek for almost 2 weeks (got it used at 47K) and after my first fill-up I was getting close to 21 MPG. I drive mainly city to and from work (5-6 miles each way). I try not to have a led foot, but sometimes I do let the engine rev up off the line.

I did have an Engine tune-up over the weekend, but I do not know how much that would effect MPG.

My main question is do you think there is anything I can be doing to help improve my MPG? Or should I wait to freak out till I have more data and fill-ups?

·
Registered
811 Posts
After reading through most of the MPG posts, I am getting a little concerned. I have had my Crosstrek for almost 2 weeks (got it used at 47K) and after my first fill-up I was getting close to 21 MPG. I drive mainly city to and from work (5-6 miles each way). I try not to have a led foot, but sometimes I do let the engine rev up off the line.

I did have an Engine tune-up over the weekend, but I do not know how much that would effect MPG.

My main question is do you think there is anything I can be doing to help improve my MPG? Or should I wait to freak out till I have more data and fill-ups?
You need not worry. With your commute, 21 mpg is about what you can expect. Check your average miles per hour; bet it's low...like around 20mph or so. My average mph is around 40 and my commute is about 58 miles round-trip (when I drive it to work). I have a commute car (1997 Honda Accord) to save putting miles on the XV so I've been driving a lot of city-type driving and getting only 24-25mpg. When I take my two week road-trip in May, I expect to average over 30 mpg.

·
Super Moderator
2,940 Posts
A 5 to 6 mile one-way commute seems like something that would be classified as severe duty...

The engine isn't going to have enough time to properly get warmed up, so to a certain extent, the engine won't be nearly as efficient as compared to an engine that's been running for well over 15-20 miles.

Also, once in a while, consider doing an "Italian engine tune-up", giving your engine a handful of wide-open throttle runs to clean out any gunk that may not have burned off from lack of high engine-load situations.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not too shabby!

Had 300 miles on our Crosstrek when it was delivered and we put about 140 miles on it around town (getting about 26 mpg). Then we drove to Colorado and back, putting on about 2000 miles. During the road trip we got 29-33 mpg, dealing with wind and snow, driving 84, 79 or 74 mph. Very happy with mileage, comfortable and quiet ride, power to pass, sound system quality and road well in snow and sleet. Couldn't be happier!!! Only minus was that the MPG that shows up on the readout is 2 mpg higher than actual when you gas up and do the math, but not a bad thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had 300 miles on our Crosstrek when it was delivered and we put about 140 miles on it around town (getting about 26 mpg). Then we drove to Colorado and back, putting on about 2000 miles. During the road trip we got 29-33 mpg, dealing with wind and snow, driving 84, 79 or 74 mph. Very happy with mileage, comfortable and quiet ride, power to pass, sound system quality and road well in snow and sleet. Couldn't be happier!!! Only minus was that the MPG that shows up on the readout is 2 mpg higher than actual when you gas up and do the math, but not a bad thing.
We have about 25,000 on our 2013 XV that we bought new. It's the wife's dd and gets 27-28 in mostly rush hour type traffic. I noticed early on that the trip computer was nearly always 2 mpg higher than actual. Love it otherwise.

·
Super Moderator
2,940 Posts
We have about 25,000 on our 2013 XV that we bought new. It's the wife's dd and gets 27-28 in mostly rush hour type traffic. I noticed early on that the trip computer was nearly always 2 mpg higher than actual. Love it otherwise.
This is very much consistent with my findings in comparison to the multi-function display's average MPG readout and calculated (actual) MPG by dividing trip miles to gallons of fuel filled up.

I've been a naughty leadfoot ******* lately, so I'm expecting my total average MPG will drop to maybe 24-26 MPG. Driving through windy areas does not help my case at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2014 that I bought new in January 2015. Drive 80 miles a day and have 10,000+ miles on it so far. Average 31-33mpg depending on driving. On a couple longer highway trips, doing 80mph, I only averaged 28-29mpg. Happy with this....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
2015 xv mpg

We topped off @ 331miles of hwy from the dealer & a bit of local roads w/a few signal lights & stop signs. It averaged 42 mpg which is a bit better than the mini s we traded in. She wanted awd & my wrx was to fast for her + she wanted to shift no more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2015 XV Limited: at about 6200 miles and 6 months total gas consumption averages 28.4 MPG. Driving conditions: about 65-70% semi-urban/suburban and the remainder short (avg. 15 miles/15minutes each leg) highway travel.

FYI: Dashboard computer MPG readout consistently 6-7% ABOVE my own math calculations

·
Registered
90 Posts
I believe my best mileage has been 33 MPG and that was one of the first tanks while I was varying speeds and staying off the interstate. My overall average is right at 30 over 16 fill-ups as figured on Fuelly. I'm very happy with that as it includes a lot of 75 - 80 MPH interstate runs.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Update...

Our 2013 now has surpassed 65K! The highway mileage is somewhere between 27 and 30 depending on where we are driving. Most of our trips are between NM and CO and involve a lot of mountain driving, so there is usually a big hit incurred there. Around town we are getting about the same mileage as on the highway. I attribute this to flat roads and light loads in the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Our 2nd fill up netted 31mpg by my math & 33.9 on the computers readout. More normal driving conditions for us but I still enjoy my wrx that gets 26 + unless I'm driving on "the snake". My son & I installed a green version of a K&N today, so I'll report back on the next fill up. Y'all take care,,,

·
Registered
6 Posts
I picked up my 15 XV 5MT in CT on Saturday with 49 miles on the clock and a full tank. At first fill up on Sunday with 91 octane, average mpg was 26.64 mpg, but not knowing when the trip odometer was reset... That may not be accurate.

I filled up tonight with 13.014 gal of 91 octane, after 3 days of commuter driving (364.1 miles). My driving is about 60% city/40% hwy and I averaged 27.98 MPG on my first real tank.

Not terrible and expecting better as break in occurs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We topped off our 7th fill up & the average is staying @ 31-32mpg for our normal (mixed) driving. We've driven 2166 miles @ that point. I have an air compressor & check the psi after a change in air temp, since that affects tire pressures. I run 36 in the fronts & 35 out back to get longer wear & better mpg. I know from experience that a low restriction air filter pays its' way too.
Y'all drive safe & take care...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well I've just passed the 10,000 mile mark on my '15 Limited CVT With 25 fill-ups, all tracked on Fuelly. Overall mileage average from day one is just a tick over 30 mpg. I'm very happy with that figure. I do very little city driving as I live in "podunk" Virginia and most of my driving is 2 lane mountain back roads with probably 70% interstate thrown in.

We just returned from a 2,500 mile road trip to Maine. The trip up was again, about 70% interstate at 70-80 mph. The other 30% was 2 lane at slower (leaf peeper) speeds. We averaged 32.4 going up with the onboard readout showing 33.7 almost always. It's optimistic. The return trip was all interstate almost always using Adaptive Cruise control set at 75 usually and returning 30.2 mpg. I believe the lower fuel economy on the return trip was due to 1. All interstate and 2. Using cruise control. Especially in hilly areas the cruise doesn't do as good as I do on fuel mileage. But for AWD the mileage is great I think. The return trip was driven straight through, about 1,150 miles in 18 hrs. The CrossTrek did great!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a black 2013 Crosstrek last weekend with 71k at a Subaru dealer. I drive a 250 mile each way commute to work and back home each week. Most of it hilly highway and got 30mpg on the first tank.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Been tracking it on the Gas Prices website since purchase: I had been averaging between 29.6 and 31.5 over the first six fills. Just came off a weekend trip to Duluth with lots of hills and terrain (and icy roads for the return trip) so only averaged 24.8 on that last tank.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I guess all the crummy stop and go freeway traffic I have here in southern California is why I don't get anywhere near the mileage some of you guys post. I am averaging about 25 MPG. The best I ever got, on a long trip which was all highway was 28.8 My Fuelly will pop up when I post this message.

381 - 400 of 433 Posts