Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

401 - 420 of 433 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Ol' granny here pulls 35-40 mpg. But I have a feather foot. Most of us in the US have lead foot (long history of muscle cars that get 4 blocks to the gallon). You gots find the sweet spot on the Subie gas pedal. From a dead spot, you have to just very lightly hit the gas. Literally, a split second later, you'll feel her "kick in". From there it's gas it and go, hit that 4000rpm mark and she's off! Sure, the Trek isn't like a speed demon corvette. But, by respecting her drive-by wire configuration, well... I've knocked down a few goodin's. Hehehe (granny be so naughty). And, kept the great mileage. I do love my baby girl.

·
Super Moderator
2,940 Posts
4000 RPM is exactly where maximum torque is for the fuel-injected versions of the Subaru FB20 engine. That indeed is probably the most ideal RPM to be at for requiring acceleration without severe sacrifice in fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have an unofficial octane to MPG observation, with 91 I drop at least 1.5 mpg to 28.?, with 89 Sigourney is consistently at 29.? or better.

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've had my 2017 for a few months now, averaging around 31.5 mpg. This is a good combo of city and highway driving. Thought I would add this was all with 100% gasoline, on my last tank I switched to the +/- 10% ethanol grade to see what would happen, and the milage has gone to under 30 now. I'll be switching back on my next tank, not really much of a cost savings there is it?? :)

·
Super Moderator
2,940 Posts
Running 100% gasoline is a good way to improve MPG, but over where I'm at, they are exceptionally rare. E10 is the most common gasoline here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't believe the dash gauge mpg!

For the last 5 months, I've been tracking the difference between what the dash gauge MPG states and what the real MPG (how many gallons does it take to fill up the tank again) is. On average, the dash MPG is 3 digits higher than the real number. So, on a trip to Seattle from Portland, my dash said I averaged 33 MPG, I really got 30 MPG as calculated by how many gallons it took fill the tank up again.

I'm not sure why this happens, since I read somewhere that the gauge measures actual gas through the carburetor jets, or something amazing sounding like that.The gauge seems pretty misleading and self-congratulatory!

·
Super Moderator
2,940 Posts
For the last 5 months, I've been tracking the difference between what the dash gauge MPG states and what the real MPG (how many gallons does it take to fill up the tank again) is. On average, the dash MPG is 3 digits higher than the real number. So, on a trip to Seattle from Portland, my dash said I averaged 33 MPG, I really got 30 MPG as calculated by how many gallons it took fill the tank up again.

I'm not sure why this happens, since I read somewhere that the gauge measures actual gas through the carburetor jets, or something amazing sounding like that.The gauge seems pretty misleading and self-congratulatory!
What? Your 2018 Subaru Crosstrek is two generations of fuel system technology ahead of carburetors, it has direct-injection.

In order of age, from oldest to newest, fuel system delivery technologies:
  • carburetor
  • fuel injection
  • direct fuel injection

It does take into account fuel delivery, but unfortunately, vehicles with fuel consumption readouts tend to overstate their actual MPG. The only time mine under-rated my MPG is when I hypermiled and hit 40.2 MPG, and it read something like 39.7 MPG.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For those of you that aren't getting the MPG you think you should.Something else to think about is just how accurate are the stations pumps?There was a guy filling his motor home.When the pump kicked off he says"why the hell does it take 34 gallons to fill a 32 gallon tank".This discrepancy would not be noticed by the average Joe putting in 10 gallons or so because unless the tank is empty or very near empty you have no way of knowing just how much was left in the tank before filling and it won't take enough,according to the pump,to exceed the maximum capacity of the tank as it did with the motor home.

·
Registered
48 Posts
2018 crosstrek manual. I am getting 37 mpg mostly highway driving.I use only premium gas with no ethanol.My previous 2014 crosstrek only hit 33mpg .These are computer generated by the car. Chris Fredericks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just completed a four week 8500+ mile cross country trip in our ‘18 and got 31.2 mpg calculated. Saw gas from $2.69 to $4.09 a gallon.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Recently I averaged 7.14 per 100 km. That’s 32.8 mpg us~
I find the essence of good fuel economy is sustained momentum.
Don’t try and cruise behind jackrabbit boy racers.
Max speeds below 120km or 70 mph, even better around 100 or 62 mph 1 psi cold over door jamb.
91 octane all the time.
I feel it’s better with smoother power but not necessarily better fuel economy. But I never worry about flogging it after it’s warm.

Another note.
The adaptive cruise control has four settings in terms of how aggressively it regains it’s set speed when it’s free to speed up .

Lower left steering wheel find the I/set button.
Pull and hold etc.
3/7 is EyeSight
3/4 of that menu is
Cruise Control Acceleration Characteristics

Eco
Comfort
Standard
Dynamic

I’m glad I found it because I find the Eco setting much more to my liking.
I also think on Eco one can follow with fever bars.
Cheers
Happy Driving

·
Registered
9 Posts
After 3245 miles I am so far averaging 31.64 mpg. About 75% in town driving. On current tank with 143.9 miles I am averaging 38.9mpg. It will go down as the gas level drops.

·
Registered
54 Posts
After 3245 miles I am so far averaging 31.64 mpg. About 75% in town driving. On current tank with 143.9 miles I am averaging 38.9mpg. It will go down as the gas level drops.
As I'm sure has been mentioned before in this monster thread, the readout in the car is hugely optimistic. We average about 19mpg (calculated from the miles and gas pumped - the car usually says 23mpg) in Los Angeles traffic and, at best, 28mpg on long trips in our stock '18 Limited.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with you about the optimistic electronic readouts. The 31.64 MPG that I listed was actually based on cumulative 2845 miles driven, not just one tank. I seldom see the electronic displayed MPG less than 34 mpg when I fill up the tank. I have driven in LA many times and I assure you I couldn't do any better than you do in that environment. Basically this area is semi flat and traffic is manageable. I have see the electronic mpg as high as 45mpg for the first 50 or miles. I drive to maximize mpg; slow starts, low rpms and I try to keep the meter at the top of the speedometer well to the right of center.

As I'm sure has been mentioned before in this monster thread, the readout in the car is hugely optimistic. We average about 19mpg (calculated from the miles and gas pumped - the car usually says 23mpg) in Los Angeles traffic and, at best, 28mpg on long trips in our stock '18 Limited.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with you about the optimistic electronic readouts. The 31.64 MPG that I listed was actually based on cumulative 2845 miles driven, not just one tank. I seldom see the electronic displayed MPG less than 34 mpg when I fill up the tank. I have driven in LA many times and I assure you I couldn't do any better than you do in that environment. Basically this area is semi flat and traffic is manageable. I have see the electronic mpg as high as 45mpg for the first 50 or miles. I drive to maximize mpg; slow starts, low rpms and I try to keep the meter at the top of the speedometer well to the right of center.
Yeah, and it's actually better than our old Honda Accord in the same traffic... :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, and my mileage is better than my '07 CRV that I gave to my granddaughter when I bought my Crosstrek. Average for it was around 27mpg. The highest I ever got on it was around 33.5 on highway driving.

Yeah, and it's actually better than our old Honda Accord in the same traffic... :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Recently I averaged 7.14 per 100 km. That’s 32.8 mpg us~
I find the essence of good fuel economy is sustained momentum.
Don’t try and cruise behind jackrabbit boy racers.
Max speeds below 120km or 70 mph, even better around 100 or 62 mph 1 psi cold over door jamb.
91 octane all the time.
I feel it’s better with smoother power but not necessarily better fuel economy. But I never worry about flogging it after it’s warm.

Another note.
The adaptive cruise control has four settings in terms of how aggressively it regains it’s set speed when it’s free to speed up .

Lower left steering wheel find the I/set button.
Pull and hold etc.
3/7 is EyeSight
3/4 of that menu is
Cruise Control Acceleration Characteristics

Eco
Comfort
Standard
Dynamic

I’m glad I found it because I find the Eco setting much more to my liking.
I also think on Eco one can follow with fever bars.
Cheers
Happy Driving
Was this what your dash was saying? or did you calculate it yourself? My 2019 has never been accurate once since I got it.

401 - 420 of 433 Posts