Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I just filled up and calculated my MPG. I got 23. Is this the norm for a first tank? The dealer claimed 30 (must be highway) and the invoice claims 25 in the city. This tank was all city.

·
Registered
500 Posts
My first tank was my lowest. I did get one tank that was equally low, but never lower, and most have been better by 2+ mpg. It wasn't quite that low, but I've been driving very conservatively

·
Registered
800 Posts
Like Chasem, my first tank was the lowest also, around 27. But since then I have been getting 30+ for the last few tanks, and I am no light driver (usually around 75mph on the highway). If you look at my fuelly page in the link in my signature you will see that my mpgs have been going up steadily with each tank of gas. I think its normal to take some time to build up to your true mpg.

·
Registered
354 Posts
We've had ours 2 & 1/2 months so far the best we have gotten is 27 usually it's closer to 25ish. We calculate ours manually the car was saying we were getting great mpg's but we decided to manually check & originally the computer & manual calculations we majorly off but the last few fill ups we've noticed the computer is usually about 1 or 2 mpg off whereas before it was saying we were getting 10 more mpg gallon than we actually were. I know hubby is not happy with the mpg's he was expecting better but I look at it gets way better mileage than our 98 grand Cherokee that it replaced & it gets better mileage than our 05 Tacoma that I drive. Sorry that's kinda a rambling mess!lol

·
Registered
500 Posts
It's important to remember that the in-dash computer is almost always 1-2mpg off. Make sure you're checking your mpg by hand (if you care about that sort of thing)

·
Registered
46 Posts
to be honest.... right now i dont care! i traded in my escalade on 24" rims for this subaru, no matter what.... I was getting 14mpg. I live about 15 minutes from town and just to go to town and back it was costing me about $13 each trip. Now.. it doesnt matter!!!!! lol

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input. I have a lead foot. I gave up a 2005 corvette to get better gas mileage. I just need to slow down and drive conservatively. It will take time to get used to not driving like a maniac.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I got around 22MPG our first tank.... averaging about 27mpg now.... Im happy with it given our hilly region.

·
Registered
7 Posts
we took our first trip this week. 2013, 39,000 miles on our Crosstrek. hand check mileage, 23 highway. had the cruise on 80mph. coming back from Butte went 70 and mileage went up almost 6 mpg. I know winter isn't the best time to get real good mileage, but was hoping for little better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just calculated my 2017 MPG after about 2 months to get it worked in a bit. Computer reports 28.8, my rough numbers on the last tank was 28.3. Heading to Asheville NC for a wedding and should get a good hiway # to check. Old CRV (2011) was generally about 23/24 overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Initial #'s are 39.8 for first leg of trip. 65-76 mph for most of way average mph according to comp was 45

Is that 39.8 U.S. MPG?!?! That's some extremely fuel-efficient driving !:eek:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just calculated my 2017 MPG after about 2 months to get it worked in a bit. Computer reports 28.8, my rough numbers on the last tank was 28.3. Heading to Asheville NC for a wedding and should get a good hiway # to check. Old CRV (2011) was generally about 23/24 overall.

Okay- trip is all finished. That first leg was fairly flat so the 39+ was easily doable. Especially with a judicious use of truck drafting or getting into the 'convoy' and sitting in the train for a bit. Second half-especially the last few hundred were mountainous and some serious long pulls up severe grades. Throw in a climb of Mt. Mitchell outside of Asheville and #'s took a hit. Just got back and tallied up totals. Just over 1500 miles total there and back of Interstate at 65-75, climb up the mountain and with today's marathon 13 hour shift back home, 33.9 average.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Okay- trip is all finished. That first leg was fairly flat so the 39+ was easily doable. Especially with a judicious use of truck drafting or getting into the 'convoy' and sitting in the train for a bit. Second half-especially the last few hundred were mountainous and some serious long pulls up severe grades. Throw in a climb of Mt. Mitchell outside of Asheville and #'s took a hit. Just got back and tallied up totals. Just over 1500 miles total there and back of Interstate at 65-75, climb up the mountain and with today's marathon 13 hour shift back home, 33.9 average.

Ah, I get that feeling. I used to do that sometimes on my old commute. It really helps to seriously improve fuel-efficiency numbers driving behind a convoy of trucks. Just don't get too close to them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ah, I get that feeling. I used to do that sometimes on my old commute. It really helps to seriously improve fuel-efficiency numbers driving behind a convoy of trucks. Just don't get too close to them.
Yes, perfectly safe distance, I could always see HIS side mirror, So I was doing okay, but some of the truckers were perilously close to my rear end, especially on the downhill runs while I had the CC on. I would just pull out to let them close up between themselves. Once things even out again, I would get behind another, or fall into a car train.

I was pretty pleased with that overall number. Almost 34 is pretty darn good in comparison to the old CRV. Even with that mountain thrown in and spending a couple of hours in 3rd going up and down. Funny thing- after I filled up the tank for the last time in New Jersey for some cheap gas just before the GWB, the Computer readout read a range of 540 miles!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.