Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ladies and Gents I am here to provide you with a cheap cost effective tool that will pay for itself that can by used even by the simplist of children to the most old school of elderly!

http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan-MS300-Diagnostic-Vehicles/dp/B001LHVOVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365774227&sr=8-1&keywords=scan+tool

What this is, is a scan tool that can read codes off of your check engine light and your VDC light and other code producing lights for your OBDII(on board diagnostics 2) computer systems that have been federally mandated by the government that required all vehicles that are sold in the US to have from 1996 and above.
It comes with a book and a cd that has basic codes that all vehicles have or you can just google a code or even obtain all the code charts for the TRekk. Easy to use if there are any questions I am a mechanic and I specialize in Subarus cause i think they are the best cars in the world maybe not the fastest but damnit they are made with love and its customers are part of a family that we show respect everytime we pass by someone driving a Subaru!!!!

·
Registered
927 Posts
That's not too bad for basic scanner. I like the ELM327 wirelss or BT adapter($15) from amazon

and the android app Torque for $4.99. Allows you real-time scanning of sensors, diagnostics, clearing codes and more. Much more in depth and you can datalog to your PC

Sent from my iPad II using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
Unless there's a problem there shouldn't be anything to scan for on a new car. If there are codes, the average DIY'r can't fix them anyway. Or it still needs to be reset when it is fixed. Our cars are under warranty.

·
Registered
927 Posts
True CJ... But it's great for the advanced DIYer like myself to get into the logic and see how things 'Normally' run... Data log a few scans... And save them for later comparisons if needed.
May not be needed for a new car right now, butane folks have more than one vehicle these days and is beneficial.

One example I can think of that this would prove invaluable is logging a lazy o2 sensor... Still works but doesn't cycle as frequent as it should and throws a code or two. With data logging you can compare cycles and better diagnose problems

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
Xtrekr said:
True CJ... But it's great for the advanced DIYer like myself to get into the logic and see how things 'Normally' run... Data log a few scans... And save them for later comparisons if needed.
May not be needed for a new car right now, butane folks have more than one vehicle these days and is beneficial.

One example I can think of that this would prove invaluable is logging a lazy o2 sensor... Still works but doesn't cycle as frequent as it should and throws a code or two. With data logging you can compare cycles and better diagnose problems

I agree, absolutely, and it's a bargain for a obd reader per the OP. He's obviously knowledgable and experienced with servicing these and other cars. But that doesn't make it a 'must have for everyone that drives' and I wanted to be clear for the uninitiated and folks that completely rely on their dealer. This is an advanced diagnostic tool for us types that do all their own service, not for 'everyone'.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I agree 100% CJ.... Not for 'beginners' for lack of a better term. You don't want to just clear codes because a CEL is on. The problem must be addressed... And unless you are willing and able to tackle the job, the codes do nothing but inform you of the potential problem, not the actual fix involved in a lot of cases

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just because you have a new car doesn't mean nothing can go wrong secondly even if its under warranty they can still charge a deductible!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just picked up a bluetooth OBD device from Amazon. I'm not trying to learn about codes, I just want a way of figuring out how hot my engine is running. This is the first car where I haven't had a temp gauge and it is a little annoying. I have a Premium and I don't have the automatic climate control. I had this in my last car. I keep turning on the blower thinking that the heat will come on when ready but it blows cold air.

I've got a Nokia 920 Windows Phone so Torque isn't an option. I picked up a trial version of AutoGaugeX and am seeing how that works. Today was the first day I've used the bluetooth OBD device.

I'm not sure if I have everything set up correctly because there might be some issues with my phone connecting to the OBD AND Stereo via bluetooth. They seem to lock each other out.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Looks like plans to install gauges is pointless since we have tools like these!

Definitely something I wanna get once I get my XV, I want to see needles and numerical values, not idiot lights!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd rather have the engine temp gauge and oil pressure gauge oh and a battery gauge I feel more confidant to be able to pinpoint a problem faster with these! And well it be nice to have a boost gauge but we all know what that will require

1 - 10 of 10 Posts