Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that when the engine is on idle it kinda sounds like a diesel engine, obviously not as loud. The last time I experienced this was on my 2002 Honda Civic and it needed a valve adjustment. Would it be the same issue for my Crosstrek? But it's too early I think for any type of maintenance like that. Has anyone noticed that in theirs?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was wondering about that when I was doing my test drives, but finally realized that the Boxer engine just has its own unique sound ... and it can be a bit louder than some other cars. It was especially noticeable when I test-drove a 5-speed, since I guess there's less sound-deadening material in that car. (I ended up getting one with the CVT, but the noise pattern of that engine-transmission combination takes a little getting used to, as well.)

So I probably wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you think the engine sound has changed in the time since you've gotten the car. But it never hurts to have something like that checked out regardless, so it will be in the car's service records, just in case.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Subarus usually do have a bit of valve train noise (more than the average car) because of the whole sideways head thing. And the rumble comes from the firing order/header design so that's normal as well!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help!

I just dropped it off this morning, I feel like the noise level increased though. I'll keep this thread updated as I get more information.

·
Registered
714 Posts
It's certainly possible that there's an issue, or possibly an exhaust leak. Those often make interesting sounds on these cars. Hopefully your dealer will take care of you.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the car back yesterday and they said they can't find anything really of concern. But it could just be my ear playing with me when I listen to my engine. And like people said different engines have different sound levels. They didn't have any other stick Crosstreks they can compare the engine sound to, but they told me to come back anytime and they'll see if they have one in stock to compare.

Thanks for all your help! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
My Crosstrek sort of sounds like a slightly quieter version of a VW turbo diesel. Very similar sounds to me. And from what I can tell, totally normal.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Never mind the engine... the stock tires are SO NOISY. I can hardly hear the radio on the highway. Can't wait until they wear out so I can replace them. I have Cooper's on my 2005 Forester and they are great and QUIET.

·
Registered
95 Posts
When I test drove the premium with CVT, it really sounded fine to me even on the highway. I only did about 60 MPH but sounded pretty quiet to me.

BTW prompterbob, I sent you a PM.

PP

·
Registered
422 Posts
I had heard that vvt gets adjusted for maximum compression while warming up.
Compression ignition is used to hasten the warm up cycle . Not sure really but I run nothing but premium gas so maybe there’s the difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts