Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering installing the NAV in a new Crosstrek I will be purchasing, but would like opinions on whether the negatives I've seen are outweighed by positives, including the rear-vision camera and the satellite radio. I will be purchasing a Premium, not a Limited. It doesn't appear that the Premium can be fitted with the 4.3 camera/radio option without the NAV. Any USA users?

·
Registered
29 Posts
@readyami

I purchased the limited for a bunch of reasons, one of them was the fact that to get the backup camera (which I really wanted) in the premium you had to buy the factory nav. (I hate factory navs) I use my Galaxy note 2 for navigation.

I guess it depends on how much you want the factory nav and/or the backup camera.

There may be aftermarket radios that have the camera option, I would check Crutchfield. Cost wise it would probably be less expensive to get the aftermarket radio.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was looking at getting the Nav system on a Premium model for the upgraded radio and back up camera too. The Nav system would have only been nice so that I don't have to take out my phone to navigate, so it wasn't that big of a deal to me. I also found out that it costs like $400 to update the nav system with the latest roads so that was not cool. Now if you are a big fan of satellite radio, maybe that is a selling point for you.

I actually wanted a CVT too, so for the price of the nav system and the CVT on a premium was almost the same price as a base model limited, and you get a few more cool features on the limited, so I ultimately just decided to go for the limited.

Are you wanting the premium specifically for the manual transmission?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually want the Premium because I don't want leather seats (yes, there are some people! LOL)....I am probably just going to get an aftermarket stereo/camera unit in the future.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
readyami said:
Actually want the Premium because I don't want leather seats (yes, there are some people! LOL)....I am probably just going to get an aftermarket stereo/camera unit in the future.
In my opinion if you don't want the leather then go with the premium and upgrade the unit yourself. The world of aftermarket NAVs > factory NAV any day from my limited experience with them.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Your smartphone is better than any in-car NAV. Plus I don't like that the NAV on the XV used an SD card that can easily be stolen or lost. My iPhone has been terrific for navigation. It's a big advantage using the cell towers along with the satellites for location instead of just the SATS.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The NAV is ok. It can be kind of clumsy and there are definitely better aftermarket options. I hate dealing with external GPSs, cords, window attachments, etc and I didn't want to deal with installing an aftermarket head unit right off the bat so getting the Subaru option worked for me.

Also, I have to admit that I like the backup camera more than expected. It can come in handy at times.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
CrossTrekFan said:
The NAV is ok. It can be kind of clumsy and there are definitely better aftermarket options. I hate dealing with external GPSs, cords, window attachments, etc and I didn't want to deal with installing an aftermarket head unit right off the bat so getting the Subaru option worked for me.

Also, I have to admit that I like the backup camera more than expected. It can come in handy at times.
I know stock nav's usually aren't the best on the market, but I still like them for their convenience over using a phone. I also really like backup cameras when I've used them (I don't have the nav).

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm awaiting delivery on my XV Limited. I was disappointed to learn that Sirius/XM only comes with NAV and not the HD radio. Since I have a Sirius account for my other car, my solution was to pay an extra $3 a month for the Sirius/XM streaming service. Now I can listen to in any car via my iPhone 5. Saving a lot of money too over a full radio account.

·
Registered
104 Posts
We have the NAV and have used it a bunch around NM. It's been very accurate in time/distance estimates. When we finally figured out how to get it to work with the handsfree system, it's been easy to use. Our biggest complaint is that when you are driving you cannot do most operations with the NAV. I understand this from a single driver point of view, but if my wife and I are both in the car there is no reason why the passenger cannot operate the NAV.

The rear camera is badass. I usually back into most parking spots and love it. Very accurate and a good FOV. Does very well in low light conditions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts