Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, it seems that there are a good amount of quality people here who know about building a sound system. I just bought a Polk DXI 108 8" sub and I'm having some trouble matching an amp for it. I'm not good at knowing what wattage and ohms need and all that. So here are the sub specs if anyone can help.

30-200 hz frequency response
50-180 rms
360 max wattage
90 dB sensitivity
2 ohms impedance

Thanks in advance

P.S. I was told about this sub from my best buy tech who does my installs and it has crazy good reviews for how small it is and pretty cheap. Pretty much what I was looking for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You need to supply several things to get an idea from others. Here are a few things to look at, once you look at these other ideas and considerations will come to mind. HTH

1. Budget
2. Location the amp will be placed
3. Where will the amp get it's signal

·
Registered
611 Posts
igotteets said:
Hey everyone, it seems that there are a good amount of quality people here who know about building a sound system. I just bought a Polk DXI 108 8" sub and I'm having some trouble matching an amp for it. I'm not good at knowing what wattage and ohms need and all that. So here are the sub specs if anyone can help.

30-200 hz frequency response
50-180 rms
360 max wattage
90 dB sensitivity
2 ohms impedance

Thanks in advance

P.S. I was told about this sub from my best buy tech who does my installs and it has crazy good reviews for how small it is and pretty cheap. Pretty much what I was looking for.
Post this on the Subaruxvcrosstrek site maybe some could help you. Other than that Google it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Don't need to pay attention to the peak watts, it's all about the RMS(Continuous) wattage for both Sub and Amp.
Your talking about this one, correct? So it's already in the enclosure?
http://www.polkaudio.com/products/dxi108

If that's true, that's easier no need to know how to wire the sub, just the amp. You want an amp that would output between 150 - 180(max) RMS watts @ 2 ohms(Since your sub is 2 ohms). Don't go over 180 watts cause you could blow the sub and that would suck.

Here is a diagram for mono amp(strictly for subs):
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/1SVC_2-ohm_mono.jpg

or

Here is a diagram for 2 channel amp:(These are normally cheaper than a Mono amp.) And you would bridge the (2) channels to become a Mono amp @ 2 ohm.
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/1-SVC-2-ohm-2-ch-low-imp.jpg

Either setup would work, it's based on your budget and if you can find that matching wattage and ohm rating.

In the car audio world what you pay for, is what you get. Since you opted for a Polk sub, I would stay away from Lightning Audio, Jensen, Boss and brands like that. (Just my opinion.)

And you'll need an Amp kit to install the amp(As an amp needs to be directly wired to the car battery.). A 10 gauge kit, isn't expensive and would work for your setup since the wattage isn't that high.

Some sites to look at:
www.crutchfield.com
www.onlincarstereo.com
www.sonicelectronix.com
www.woofersetc.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts