Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating AT tires for the Crosstrek. I'm tempted to go down to 15 or 16" wheels and tires.

Currently on stock geolandars 225/55/17

Any negatives to going smaller? I may also just stick to same size for simplicity.

Also thoughts on AT tires for winter hwy driving? Good? Or good enough?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm happy with my 15" Method wheels and Geolandar AT's, 215/70r15. There almost identical circumference to stock. I was tempted by the 225/70r15's, but I couldn't guarantee that they wouldn't rub.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My original plan is to get AT tires in my stock size so no need to worry about rubbing, worse gas mileage or wrong speedometer readings etc.

This is of course Compared to going up from my stock size.

Any such negatives going down in size from stock?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Finding AT's in 17" that won't rub will be difficult. You need to go down in rim size to allow for more sidewall. The tires I got are technically AT's, but are far less aggressive that BFG's or Grabbers, I haven't noticed any negatives in handling, maybe slight loss in mileage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am looking at Falken wildpeak at trail.
It would be the exact same size as my stock tires.
So I don't know why they'd rub? Same sidewall size etc.

If I went down to 16 or 15" wheels/tires I could then get more sidewall which could be beneficial when off roading I suppose.

Not sure of other pros and/or cons to smaller wheel/tire setup....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fair. But i'm not doing serious off roading.... If I wanted to do that I'd have bought a truck.

I want a tougher tire for gravel roads and also be better in the winter and I don't want to lose mpg etc

But I am still considering getting smaller wheels and tires.
Hence this post about any disadvantages there might be.
People talk about pros and cons of going to a bigger tire...But rarely going to smaller ones
😃

·
Registered
23 Posts
Check the fit of the rim before buying. I've never done it with a crosstrek, but on 2 other vehicles, I've had interference with brake rotors when going to a smaller diameter rim.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Fair. But i'm not doing serious off roading.... If I wanted to do that I'd have bought a truck.

I want a tougher tire for gravel roads and also be better in the winter and I don't want to lose mpg etc

People talk about pros and cons of going to a bigger tire...But rarely going to smaller ones
😃
Sounds good, hope I was some help. P.S. The tires are actully bigger with smaller rims.

·
Registered
1 Posts

😃
Hi Cold44 - I sat in your place about 6 months ago, happy to offer my thoughts.

I ended up going with the Falken Wildpeak AT Trails in 225/60R17 - very happy with the tires so far. ~12k miles on them to date & lost ~1 mpg.

Are they the most meaty, knobby, aggressive tire out there? No, but, it really comes down to your application and what trade-offs you're willing to make.

In my case, we dispersed camp often, so the goal was to find a better off-road tire without sacrificing MPG, speedometer readings, or horsepower (w/ a Crosstrek, I'll take EVERY HP I can muster). I considered the Geolandar G015, but decided on the Falken due to positive reviews and their mileage/road hazard warranty (seriously, it's amazing).

Great tire for mild-moderate trails, though I've taken them into a few sketchy/off-camber situations w/ major no issues to date. On road, they ride like a dream - no noticeable hwy buzz, good cornering, & braking in dry/wet conditions. I live in So-Cal, so I haven't had much opportunity to hit snow, yet.

Eventually, I might spring for a lift (no pun intended) & change the wheels/tires to a different combination to suit, but the current set-up is great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's great info. Thanks for your post! My stock tires are 225/55/17. So slightly different. I like the idea of staying close as possible to stock for the reasons you mention. Just want to worry less about flat tires when off road and pretty good snow tires.

Thanks again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts