Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Ty - I just picked up my 2013 Crosstrek this past Tuesday. So far - I absolutely LOVE it! The options it came with:

-Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror w/ Compass
-Rear Spoiler
-Rear Bumper Cover
-Body Side Moldings
-Splash Guards
-Sport Mesh Grill

A quick history of my previous Subaru expirence is that I owned a 2002 Impeza WRX back in 2005. Loved that car - only sold it to get a truck since I moved out to an acreage.

And I just sold my 2004 Impreza WRX STi to get this new Crosstrek. The STi was a blast - but after a year of harsh suspension, expensive fuel and insurance, it was a no-brainer. I do not regret going to this new Crosstrek at all!

My future plans are to get the roof crossbars so that I can add 2 roof bicycle carriers. If anyone has any suggestions - I would love to hear them. I would like to get the bike racks that do not require the removal of the front tire.

I also plan on tinting the front windows.

Ok - on to the good stuff:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Congratulations! Enjoy her. She may not be quite as fun as the STI on the streets, but she's still a fun drive.

swfire271 said:
Personally I'm doing a trailer hitch (Torklift - hidden behind the breakout panel in the rear center) with a hitch rack for my bikes, but I did get a roof rack for other endeavors.

I'm a big fan of Thule products. On my Cavalier I had a Thule roof rack with fork mounted bike racks (they do have wheel/frame mount options).

The best way to go for whatever rack you choose (imo) is to search ebay. I got my Cavalier setup for ~$250 (feet, crossbars, and three bike racks). Would have run $800+ retail.

For the XV I got the feet and crossbars for ~$150 ($190+ retail) and everything else (snowboard carrier, hitch rack) for 30-50% less than retail. Some of it was new, some of it used, but it's all been in great shape.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Bought the Subaru (Yakima) roof bike rack that leaves
the front wheel on. Of course since my old bike
was so heavy and tires so wide, getting it up there was a struggle;
so ended up buying a new lighter bike too.

All works as it should

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Hi, swfire, welcome! Your Crosstrek looks great, just like Larry I love the mesh grille and spoiler. I plan on ordering both for myself one of these days.

I don't know anything about bike racks, but chasem sure seems to. Also, our user 'andthereyouare' posted a picture of his bike rack here: http://clubcrosstrek.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;pic=61 -- maybe that will help some.

Thanks for signing up, I really hope you find what you're looking for here.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I should add that if you get a rack with a locking mechanism that doesn't use a fork mount, be absolutely sure that you can safely lock the bike.

For example, this is the rack I have: http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Products/Bike-Carriers/Hitch/916XTR-T2

It clamps down on the front wheel and then the ratcheting clamp mechanism locks. In addition, there's a cable lock at the end of the wheel lock arm that loops around the frame/wheel and locks.

The old version did not have the cable. Admittedly, it can be annoying bothering with two locks for one bike, but the old version was useless as thieves could simply undo the quick release on the front wheel and pick up on the frame to remove the bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Love!! I purchased mine exactly one week prior to you!

Does the mesh grill have a practical function? I've been thinking about it. ;-)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Welcome :) We've had our Crosstrek for exactly a month today :) Absolutely love it! Use to hubby would drive anytime we went somewhere but since we got the Crosstrek I will actually drive now...I love driving it! Enjoy your ride!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts