Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am from Des Moines, IA but i am currently stationed at Fort Riley, KS waiting for my orders to get out of service. I have driven Subarus since 2010 when i bought a 2008 Impreza 2.5i. I loved that car and started do alot of research about them. I wanted to get a BRZ but with it being RWD I didnt feel comfortable haveing that as my everyday car so I traded in my Impreza for a XV and i love it but just a little disappointed by a misguiding MPG rating and lack of performance in the engine which is underpowered in this car. But i love it no matter what.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
927 Posts
Welcome and congrats! If you are heavy footed and live in a hilly region ( like me ) I only get 25-26 mpg on average. Eventually you will have the aftermarket supplying XV owner the opportunity to upgrade for performance, but I wouldn't expect a HUGE improvement... unless you went with a turbo setup for around $5000.... voiding any warranty you have.


Did you get the manual or CVT? I went from a manual to the CVT in the XV and there is a lot of difference for sure, but with time I have learned to adapt to the characteristics of it and enjoy it a lot. If you have a manual.... you can always keep the the shift points higher and keep it well within the powerband to gain a bit more 'spunk' out of it, if that's what you miss.


again... WELCOME!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
800 Posts
Welcome to the forum Suuichi! I have found my XVs mpg and my mathematically calculated mpg to be about 2 mpg apart (with the calculated being lower). I'm still however, getting great mileage and love the car! Coming from a series of much older used cars I don't have any problem with the power, but your experience may differ.

Anyhow, welcome to the boards!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh sorry i didnt put down the trim lol I have the limited CVT. I know there is alot that effects the MPG including temperature elevation winter blend fuel and of course driving style but at the same time i only recently started getting above 24 mpg plus i get better city miles than highway which is weird i can get like 30 to 32 in the city and only 25 to 28 on the highway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
suuichi said:
Oh sorry i didnt put down the trim lol I have the limited CVT. I know there is alot that effects the MPG including temperature elevation winter blend fuel and of course driving style but at the same time i only recently started getting above 24 mpg plus i get better city miles than highway which is weird i can get like 30 to 32 in the city and only 25 to 28 on the highway.
When you say "highway" are you talking about speed limits of 55-60 or 70+? The "highway" mpg is typically considered speeds of 55-ish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
927 Posts
Highway speed varies greatly from location. I drive 75-80 on all our freeways.


Sent from my iPad II using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
suuichi said:
Hello,
I am from Des Moines, IA but i am currently stationed at Fort Riley, KS waiting for my orders to get out of service. I have driven Subarus since 2010 when i bought a 2008 Impreza 2.5i. I loved that car and started do alot of research about them. I wanted to get a BRZ but with it being RWD I didnt feel comfortable haveing that as my everyday car so I traded in my Impreza for a XV and i love it but just a little disappointed by a misguiding MPG rating and lack of performance in the engine which is underpowered in this car. But i love it no matter what.
Hello and welcome to the site! :) Also, thank you for your service....lots of us on here. I have to ask what you mean by "misguiding mpg rating?" In my experience, the rating has been too low. I have a manual transmission that gets 33 mpg at 65 mph. I also average 28 in town, minimally. Believe it or not I've yet not to average 30 /gal for each and every full tank of gas. I've got 9956 miles on my XV and it did get better as the mileage accumulated- hope yours does the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
I wasn't very clear. My bad.

The EPA estimates of Highway MPG (the 33mpg on the CVT, 30 mpg on the 5mt) come from speeds of around 55. Speeds of 65+ will typically take the actual MPG down to lower numbers, but people still think of roads that run those speeds as "highway," which can lead to the perception that the EPA estimate was high and the actual mpg is lower than the estimate.

My last post was meant to ask the OP if his usage of "highway" was referring to highways of the 55-ish mph sort or the 65+ mph sort.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well that sucks lol i drive 65 mph on the highway and im not to say disappointed cause it still goods decent gas millage but i wish theyd release a more realistic number for realistic driving. But I love my vehicle i just cant wait for the new WRX STI concept to come out i want that and a better BRZ. Plus im just tired of the US not getting all the good subarus like everyone else is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,240 Posts
Hi there, suuichi, welcome to the club. Congrats on the purchase of the Crosstrek, it sounds like you're loving it even with a couple of disappointments.

As for the power, it is a bit underpowered for what Subaru could do, but I think once you learn to drive the CVT you will really get a feel of how to use what is there -- at least in my experience.

Thank you for signing up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
suuichi said:
Well that sucks lol i drive 65 mph on the highway and im not to say disappointed cause it still goods decent gas millage but i wish theyd release a more realistic number for realistic driving. But I love my vehicle i just cant wait for the new WRX STI concept to come out i want that and a better BRZ. Plus im just tired of the US not getting all the good subarus like everyone else is.
I couldn't agree more about the US not getting the 6 speed OR the diesel!! If I had had that option, I wouldn't have hesitated to spend the extra $$$ and enjoyed all that torque and better mpg. I'm putting on my TorqueLift hitch today....think of how much more than 1500 lbs I'd be able to tow! Oh well, I'm just sayin, if the diesel comes, I will go and trade this model for it. Period. End of story! Maybe Subaru will be motivated by the number of diesels other manufacturers, besides VW, are introducing here. Bring it Subaru! We know it will cost more and we want it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RubySu said:
suuichi said:
Hello,
I am from Des Moines, IA but i am currently stationed at Fort Riley, KS waiting for my orders to get out of service. I have driven Subarus since 2010 when i bought a 2008 Impreza 2.5i. I loved that car and started do alot of research about them. I wanted to get a BRZ but with it being RWD I didnt feel comfortable haveing that as my everyday car so I traded in my Impreza for a XV and i love it but just a little disappointed by a misguiding MPG rating and lack of performance in the engine which is underpowered in this car. But i love it no matter what.
Hello and welcome to the site! :) Also, thank you for your service....lots of us on here. I have to ask what you mean by "misguiding mpg rating?" In my experience, the rating has been too low. I have a manual transmission that gets 33 mpg at 65 mph. I also average 28 in town, minimally. Believe it or not I've yet not to average 30 /gal for each and every full tank of gas. I've got 9956 miles on my XV and it did get better as the mileage accumulated- hope yours does the same.
Thanks very much my medical board came through so im getting medical retirement and just in time. The Army is changing for the worse.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top