Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I got my first Crosstrek about a 1 1/2 years ago. It's got an STi roof spoiler, but that's the only accessory so far. I've driven it 10.5k miles so far, and I'm thinking of turning it into my designated off road rig. Projects in the planning stage (in order of importance):
  • smaller wheels, larger AT tires
  • 2" lift, if the axles will allow it
  • roof rack with lights
  • bumper removal/replacement with off road bar with lights
  • skid plate
  • and of course, a muffler delete to make the car sound faster than it really is

I've done a fair bit of research on wheels and tires, and am considering some 15" rally wheels fitted with some General Grabber AT2's or BFG AT T/A KO2's.

For the lift project, I am planning on either getting Primitive Racing's, Subtle Solutions', or Sumo Parts' 1.5"/2" lift package. I want a kit with subframe spacers for the rear bearing housing, and I know I will need to maintain proper caster and camber offset.

Any advice or ideas is greatly appreciated! I will be posting update and before/after pictures in future threads.

PS. I'm also looking for easy/moderate trails near the foothills outside Denver.

Picture: Silver Creek Rd, between Dakota Hill Trail and Apex Valley Road. I used all 8.7 inches clearance and managed not to bottom out or high center!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Welcome to the club!

Holy... ****. That's quite the ambitious effort shown in that picture. I've done some off-roading in my 5MT 2nd gen Subaru XV, but I don't think I've gone far enough to be able to take a picture like that!

As for lifting the suspension, fellow moderator RallyeBourne has some experience with a lifted suspension and the CV axles. More specifically, he found a brand that one should avoid buying.

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
I’m lifted 2” and didn’t have to start changing CV’s until after 100k miles.

Two things of note:
1). Never buy Heri Automotive Axles. Even though they are listed as “HD.” Just don’t.
2). You can, indeed use a 2013 axle in 2014+ Crosstreks. Even though they are different part numbers, they are compatible. I’m running one right now, has around 20k on it so far. Why is this important? Well, for 2014+ there are two options: Heri (garbage) and OEM ($400). For 2013, that list opens up and you can get $60 axles from rockauto or $90-$120 axles from any parts store, with a lifetime free replacement warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am very pleased with my set up - 2"lift with Andersen Lift kit. Since I am on the pavement 90% of the time but still wanted something that looked a little more aggressive and would be beneficial when I do go off pavement (nothing extreme) and on the beach I went with Yokohama Geolander A/T Go15 235/60R16 tires on 16x7 Matte Graphite Silver Sparco Assetto Gara wheels. I chose the wheels in particular to keep the OEM offset and to give the break calipers plenty of room. The tires are wide which I really like.

I just added a strut brace up front and a thicker anti-sway bar in the rear and can really feel the tighter handling especially in the curves on the two lane hard ball. I will have to say the off road guys advised against the thicker anti-sway bar as it will limit suspension travel - I did it anyway because like I said I am on the pavement 90% of the time and my off-road is mostly beach and and gravel/dirt roads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts