Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured it would be cool to start an ongoing discussion about what we, real-life Crosstrek owners, as well as prospective buyers, would like to see in next generation Crosstreks.

While it may be too late for the 2014 iteration of the XV, I would still like to keep this running list of what we would all love to see Subaru improve on.

A couple off the top of my head:

- TURBO option! I know not everyone wants this since it sacrifices MPG, but it would be a great option to have.
- A choice of black or taupe interior for every exterior color.
- One-touch turn signals for changing lanes.
- Better handsfree device. Meaning, easier to upload contacts, better voice recognition, etc.

I'm at work now so I am rushing this list. I am sure more will come to me and I'll add them.

What would everyone else like to see?

·
Registered
15 Posts
As prospective buyer (had my 2nd test drive last night; have driven a Premium and a Limited now) here are my thoughts:

- I strongly agree with the need for a Turbo option or at least a bit more horsepower. I haven't found the cars to be badly underpowered, but as a seller, you can't push the off-road capabilities of such a vehicle and then give it such low power and torque. I know fuel economy is important, but I'm not asking for this as a default feature, only as an Option -- if I want to take a 5 MPG hit, that's my choice.

- Similarly, a US Diesel option. This one really annoys me given the option is clearly available in other countries, but because of the invalid perception so many in the US have of diesel engines, we're not given the option here. This solves the torque problem and maintains fuel economy.

- At least a 6-speed manual option connected to a good transmission. CVT seems good, I have no complaints from what little drive time I've experienced, but that doesn't mean it should be forced on everyone by gimping the manual option.

- Completely agree about the interior being optional; for my needs and lifestyle, there's just no way a taupe interior would make it 3 years without looking terrible, yet I know I'd enjoy a White or Blue XV, the colors look great -- but the taupe interior include with those colors is a no go, so I'm now leaning more towards Silver because of it. As a car buyer "That's your only option" is not something you want to hear. (I get that Subaru is a low-volume dealer, but this could at least be a build-to-order option.)

- Better default audio system. Tested this extensively in my most recent test drive, had the salesman show me all the features of the head unit. HD, Satellite radio, blah blah blah: All worthless if the speakers are of poor quality. I don't mind the idea of tweaking or customizing certain things about my vehicle; however, feeling I may need to update something Day One because it clearly sucks is a turn off.

- Better approach angle for off-roading. That front end is sticking out like it wants to be smashed.

- Slightly larger wheel wells to allow for slightly larger tires; right now, everything in there is a very tight fit, and it could be improved without drastically changing the overall look of the vehicle.

That's all I can think of at the moment. So far in my experience, I enjoy the car and am about 90% certain I'll be buying one in the near future, but most of my gripes come from seeing its potential, and feeling as if the engineers intentionally gimped it (which for 'marketing reasons' is probably not far from the truth; it just gives them things to upgrade in a few years to sell more cars, but that doesn't mean I can't b*tch about it today, heh).

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
I don't have an XV, but I sure as heck still have suggestions!

* X-MODE for XV also (I don't want the Forester to hog everything!)

* 6-speed manual standard (the 5-speed is ancient, why isn't it gone yet?)

* more engine options, ESPECIALLY THE TURBO DIESEL EE! (FB25, FA20 DIT, EE20, etc)

* direct-injection for non-turbo engines as well (for us North Americans, that's ALL the engines)

* optional skid-plates (I know the 1st gen Outback had it as an option, why not today's Subaru vehicles?)

* dual-range manual transmission for North America? (would love it but probably just a silly dream of mine)

* VDC full-off function (COMPLETELY turns off VDC, meaning it will NOT help the AWD system, probably not recommended for serious off-roading though desirable for performance driving)

* stronger body cladding

* rear brakes converted to WRX rear brakes for improved compatibility of performance parts (then it would be all 4-wheels with WRX brakes)

* HID lights optional (of course, the HID lights use a different housing, still reflector-type though) for Americans (JUST IMPORT THE CANADIAN HID LIGHTS OVER HERE PLEASE)

* rear-fog light option in North America (another one of my silly dreams)

* thicker rear sway bar (supposedly North Americas XVs has a thinner one than the rest of the world)

* MORE MORE MORE options from the overseas models (like those awesome displays and stuff)

* door-ding guards

* rear LSD standard (preferably torque-sensing, not viscous or clutch-type; would really help with on and off-road performance)

* larger fog lights (reminiscent of the older Subaru Legacy Outbacks and Impreza 2.5RS with their rally-inspired large-diameter fog lights)

That's all I can think of for now. I'll probably edit in a few more.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Diesel - I want more torque and I want it sooner.
A decent drivers seat. I don't need electric but lower leg, lumbar and side bolsters need to be adjustable.
Yup, one touch signals for lane changing.
Auto sensing wipers.
Open up those wheelwells! I want the option of running larger diameter tires. I also don't like the off center look we have now.
Satin finish colors.
Skid plates.
Long range driving lights and larger, more effective fog lights.
A rally package with adjustable suspension. I want to have a comfort setting for family trips, a sport setting that lowers the car for when I feel like driving like a bonehead and an off road setting that adds some clearance and softening the damping rates to allow for more wheel travel.
Please, please add some sound insulation. I spend too much time in the car and sometimes just want quiet. I want to turn the tunes off and crawl into a cocoon sometimes. It doesn't have to be Bentley quiet but it shouldn't sound like a Jeep either.

More to come...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Since I was choosing between an XV and a Toyota FJ Cruiser, here is what I would like to see:

The Toyota FJ Cruiser has a special edition that is really awesome looking and has lots of special things to make it more off road. They have a special Trail Teams edition that comes with black TRD special rims, upgraded suspension, blacked out exterior parts, and an interior that matches the exterior. The red version had red/black seats, silver had silver/black seats. I would like to see a more off road version of the XV for people who are actually going to use it more often than not for what it was built to do. I would like to see an enthusiast version of the XV.

Also, if I buy a black vehicle I like black... why would I want a light taupe interior.... black cars should have black interiors period.

·
Registered
567 Posts
coreybarnett said:
I would like to see a more off road version of the XV for people who are actually going to use it more often than not for what it was built to do. I would like to see an enthusiast version of the XV.
I agree a more aggressive XV... It could a be zombie slayer version.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yep...
Turbo for sure
Simple-stupid stuff should be included (pay extra for a rear bumper cover, console tray, door-ding guards...? really?)
Power front seats!!!
Tire size options (bigger)
Skid plate
Voice/navi that's not so kluge (AND.. it's ridiculous to have to use an SD card for updates. It's a radio with sat/wireless capability for goodness sake. Download the updates!)
Nicer covering on the inside of the two front doors (too plastic-y).
"Overdrive" button - I'm not into to the whole flip to "M" on CVT, and using paddles at 75 miles an hour. but, sometimes need that extra kick (or engine slowing) when in traffic.
Thicker paint!
Dual exhaust

Then wrap it all up and put it in the XV Ute (http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/136886-subaru-xv-ute/) and I'll get one of those too. hehehe

·
Registered
194 Posts
All good points.
It is a bit of an economy car though, although some paid a lot for the options they already offer. I would have gotten a limited with roof and leather if I could have got the stick with it.

However, some say they want more power and then a diesel option. That's opposite ends of the spectrum.

Power seems fine for a 2 liter NA. A 2.5 and turbo options would be good.

So far I really like the car at the price point. Am I going to name my car? Nawwwwww!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Lot of great ideas. I would like a turbo diesel as well. And some carbon fiber accents in the dash. And a few more gauges, like coolant temp, trany temp and oil temp. Oh and a better arm rest

·
Registered
229 Posts
Like many others most of our sacrifices were cosmetic and function.

White Exterior with the Black Cloth Interior is our ultimate color combination, Sarah would prefer leather if she had her way.

A Moonroof with the Manual Transmission would have sealed the deal, and we would have paid the extra $1,000 for that option.

The Clear marker Headlights clean up the front end and purely cosmetic.

The rear foglight is cool, but that Invisi-Hitch makes the spot a little more useful.

Direct Injection from the Forester/BRZ platforms would be good to add a little more umph without too much sacrifice in fuel efficiency.

Lastly for now, a rear seat that Reclines Backwards a few notches, nothing much, just three positions for the rearseat back would be awesome.

Dan

·
Registered
17 Posts
-WRX option
-Power seat option
-Unlock the navi so it can be used while the car is in motion
-paint under the hood and in the spare tire well
-Auto up & down for passenger window

·
Registered
927 Posts
05Train said:
-WRX option
-Power seat option
-Unlock the navi so it can be used while the car is in motion
-paint under the hood and in the spare tire well
-Auto up & down for passenger window
There is a bypass procedure to do this(I think... as well as watch movies,too)... I haven't done it yet, but I have read up on it on XVforum.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really great ideas, exactly what I wanted to see!

Of course the Crosstrek offers a lot for it's price point, which is GREAT -- I love my car. However, having maybe one more model option with some of the suggestions in this thread would be amazing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just recently started looking at these, and am glad to have found this forum and see this thread topic here. I am coming from a VW Sportwagen TDI, and previously 2 heavily modified Jeep TJ's. Always wanted a Subaru. ;D

The available Subaru hitch needs to be of higher clearance. I have seen the Torklift version that uses the non-US brakelight punchout, and this is what I would prefer, but it would be nice to have the official Subaru receiver do something like this as well.

More recovery points-- the only one I know of is the screw-in point from the rear. It would be nice to have a front recovery point. If we could get a rear, high-clearance 2" receiver as previously discussed this would serve this purpose as well, as you can then utilize something like a Warn 2" receiver D-ring recovery point.

On board air--Honda's put a vacuum in their minivans, these XVs' should have an electric air compressor for airing the tires back up after a trail. ;D ;D

Black interior option on all colors. More exterior color options.

Higher clearance front end; could be achieved with a removable front aero dam--the Grand Cherokee's do this.

Winch mounting point on the front end. ;D ;D ;D This doesn't need to be a mega winch, an ATV size winch will work. I had Warn M8000 on my Jeep with 3/8" synthetic line; that was still over 100 lbs with the mount plate. I could have gotten away with an M6000. Something like a Warn 4500 or 4000 ATV winch could work on the XV since it is so lightweight. A Warn 4500 is only about 19 lbs as well. I know this will never happen, but it would be sweet to be able to mount a small compact winch on the XV.

·
Registered
194 Posts
M45 said:
I have just recently started looking at these, and am glad to have found this forum and see this thread topic here. I am coming from a VW Sportwagen TDI, and previously 2 heavily modified Jeep TJ's. Always wanted a Subaru. ;D

Amen brotha.

The available Subaru hitch needs to be of higher clearance. I have seen the Torklift version that uses the non-US brakelight punchout, and this is what I would prefer, but it would be nice to have the official Subaru receiver do something like this as well.

Not going to happen. It's a world-spec car and the custom hitch is made in Kent, WA.

More recovery points-- the only one I know of is the screw-in point from the rear. It would be nice to have a front recovery point. If we could get a rear, high-clearance 2" receiver as previously discussed this would serve this purpose as well, as you can then utilize something like a Warn 2" receiver D-ring recovery point.

Yes, a hitch insert recovery hook will be fine.

On board air--Honda's put a vacuum in their minivans, these XVs' should have an electric air compressor for airing the tires back up after a trail. ;D ;D

Really? You don't even get that in a jeep.

Black interior option on all colors. More exterior color options.

Set options are common throughout the auto industry. Even a chevy pickup has set colors for exterior colors. Can't order this with that, etc.

Higher clearance front end; could be achieved with a removable front aero dam--the Grand Cherokee's do this.

A front and rear skid should come up aftermarket.

Winch mounting point on the front end. ;D ;D ;D This doesn't need to be a mega winch, an ATV size winch will work. I had Warn M8000 on my Jeep with 3/8" synthetic line; that was still over 100 lbs with the mount plate. I could have gotten away with an M6000. Something like a Warn 4500 or 4000 ATV winch could work on the XV since it is so lightweight. A Warn 4500 is only about 19 lbs as well. I know this will never happen, but it would be sweet to be able to mount a small compact winch on the XV.

Uh huh. Get a winch mount that goes in a hitch reciever...voila!

Notes in color above.
Not picking you you specifically, but I see a lot of the wish lists are just personal preferences, not something even conceivable for production.

·
Registered
15 Posts
BTW, I believe there is already a hitch recovery point on the front. I forget if they're a member here, but I've seen pics of an owner who had a kayak on top of their XV, and they were using the screw-in tow hook on the front bumper as a tie-down point (I believe they said they were using their hitch for the rear tie-down point). In the pics, it was a small punch out on the passenger side of the front bumper, haven't paid close enough attention to note if there is also one on the driver's side.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
skillet said:
BTW, I believe there is already a hitch recovery point on the front. I forget if they're a member here, but I've seen pics of an owner who had a kayak on top of their XV, and they were using the screw-in tow hook on the front bumper as a tie-down point (I believe they said they were using their hitch for the rear tie-down point). In the pics, it was a small punch out on the passenger side of the front bumper, haven't paid close enough attention to note if there is also one on the driver's side.
Yes, I am 99% sure that there is a front screw-in tow point, too. I can verify tomorrow (I don't want to say 100% until I am looking at it).

·
Registered
567 Posts
skillet said:
There is a screw-in point for a tow hook on the front and back of the vehicle. When I carry my canoe, I ran the straps through both sides of the front air dam(Bumper). You'll find holes you can hook onto just behind, I believe they are part of the frame.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Turn signals integrated into the side mirrors like the rest of the world gets but we don't here in the States.

As I've thought about it more I like the idea of a rally package.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts