Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned a new car so this is new to me. My windows are getting a cloudy film on them and I am wondering if this is from the plastics and fabrics inside off gassing. Is anyone else experiencing this? Whats the best way to take care of this?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I just read something about that. I never had that issue, but I know people here has talked about it. I can't find the topic, though. What happened to the "search" option?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Common with new cars. My last few new cars all did this. I clean my windows weekly sometimes more often. :( I don't know how long this goes on. I know At least 2 years; that's the longest I've kept my last 3 cars. ;D

·
Registered
53 Posts
I recently had my windshield replaced (rock damage) and asked the guy from safelight about it. It is from the plastics and it will go on for quite a while (my 2006 Charger R/T still did it when I got rid of it a few months ago).

He said you could reduce it by using a windshield cover, or the best thing to do would be to use one of the carpeted mats that is custom fit for your dash. Keeps the sun from causing the plastic to release whatever that is. I haven't bought either yet but plan to soon, the Colorado sun can be pretty harsh!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Found this on another forum...

[as many new-car buyers find out, the huge amount of plastic in automobile interiors can emit chemicals that not only smell terrible but also deposit oily films on interior windows.

Many new car owners complain about a stubborn deposit of film that builds up on the inside of the windshield. No amount of glass cleaner seems to keep the film from forming. The problem is not that the glass cleaner is failing to remove the film, but rather that a new deposit of vinyl film forms after awhile.

Soft vinyls can be composed of up to 50% plasticizers, which are chemicals added to standard polymers that make them soft. Lots of vinyls contain plasticizers, but inside a car they pose a special problem.

A car parked in the sun can reach temperatures above 120 degrees, hotter than the volatility point of plasticizers. When the volatility point is reached, molecules of the plasticizers become gaseous and then condense on the coolest surface. Typically, that includes the windshield./i]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts