Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone plan on doing for oil changes? I believe the manual says every 7500 miles.....I used to work at a Ford dealership and think I'm going to change oil every 5000 miles and rotate tires at the same interval. I do plan on going to my Subaru dealer for maintenance. That way there is no problems when it comes to warranty concerns and proper maintenance - and the use of OEM filters/oil.

Any thoughts/plans for yours?

·
Registered
927 Posts
swfire271 said:
What does everyone plan on doing for oil changes? I believe the manual says every 7500 miles.....I used to work at a Ford dealership and think I'm going to change oil every 5000 miles and rotate tires at the same interval. I do plan on going to my Subaru dealer for maintenance. That way there is no problems when it comes to warranty concerns and proper maintenance - and the use of OEM filters/oil.

This was brought up on a another thread and I will be at the 5000 mile interval for rotation and oil. I was anticipating 3000-4000 miles on the rotation/oil as I have always done... but maybe ( just maybe ) with age comes a little slower driving and less aggressive driving techniques and won't need to rotate that often... so i'll move the oil change up, too. lol!

I hope I can sleep at night doing this.....not kidding!

·
Registered
243 Posts
swfire271 said:

I'll probably do the same just so I don't push the oil change to the limit - and 7500 seems like pushing it on rotation.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'll probably take the XV to the dealer for the regular 7,500 maintenance, but I'll probably rotate the tires myself around the halfway point of that too to keep them more even.

·
Registered
194 Posts
7500 is just fine for rotations...it's a non-critical issue. Whatever makes you happy. 10 to 12K is fine too. It's more important to keep the pressure up. Wear should be pretty even anyway.

For oil changes, the 7500 is fine on a full synthetic, something with a PAO base, but I wouldn't do it otherwise. It's right on the cusp of change or analysis, the additive package can be used up by then. For fake-syns I'd want to be at or under 6K. I would not run a conventional oil in this motor. A quick look shows they are spec'ing synthetic anyway, but what's surprising is the GF-4 or 5 rating. That's a top-tier oil rating.

I use Amsoil in every vehicle lubrication point, engine, trans, diffs, even on the bikes (motorcycles) and it's good stuff. But I still don't like to stretch OCI's (oil change interval). Proven out in dozens of rigs of every type and size, euro cars, jap cars, domestics, and trucks. And the race bikes.

If I were wanting to stretch the OCI I'd send a sample to Blackstone for analysis so I had a better idea how it would fare at 7500 or even longer. For me it's just easier to drain and fill, and costs about $50 whereas the testing is $25. It's like no big deal, easier to just change it.

If y'all want to learn about synthetic lubricants go here, everything you could want to know: www.boboistheoilguy.com

We change more often because we don't want this in our motor. Both BMW and Mercedes Benz are under fire for recommending such long OCI's in their cars, and resultant premature wear and failure, sludging problems. With a 5-6K OCI the motors stay clean inside for the life of the engine, in many cases well over 200K:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yep..

Am going with the synthetic oil as spec'd by Subie. But will do my OCIs and rotations every 5K, instead of 7500.

I'm am religious about my scheduled maintenance. Previous car was every 3000. And our car before that was an old Volvo with 350,000 miles on it and still going strong before we sold it.

Probably smarter here anyway with high dust and temperatures of 115 degrees all summer long.

I'd rather be safe than sorry.. and it proves to pay off in the long run.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'll be sticking to every 3k. I drive hard and oil is affordable so you might as well change often. I'll be using only true top tier synthetic oils in this car. Most likely Redline or Motul (I'd say your fine with the OEM oil as well for obvious reasons). None of my Subarus sees anything less than a true top tier oil, no Mobil1 or any of the other oils that claim that status but are not. And as always the OEM filter only since no one offers an aftermarket with the correct specs currently.

·
Registered
194 Posts
A 3K OCI is totally unnecessary unless you're racing or it's all offroad. I'll bet the oil doesn't even change color 'till past 4K.

·
Registered
714 Posts
You're absolutely right. But considering I work in the industry and oil is super affordable I might as well change it, and actually we change oil on the race cars much more often than 3k when they are actually driven hard. Honestly, it's not the oil life I'm worried about, its the effectiveness of the filter. Most oils currently will outlast the filters usefulness.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Obviously Subaru can't fault you for sticking to their OCI but I would aim for 5k on average. They can't void your warranty for doing too many oil changes but they can for going over on one in theory. I doubt they would but you never know. 5k for average drivers is just fine. If you drive hard or in very rough conditions consider a bit more often but for most people on a non turbo engine with good oil and filters 5k is great!

·
Registered
109 Posts
So here's a question:

I typically clock less that 7500 miles annually. The dealer said to do the 7.5 month interval for the first oil change since it will come before I have 7500 miles on the car. I am conflicted about what to do as it seems like it should be changed sooner even though the miles on the car will be low.

Do you think I should have it changed sooner than 7.5 months?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Obviously you're not going to post miles on the car but you should keep up on maintenance. Do you start/run the car often? How often do you drive and how far?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Subir_roo said:
Obviously you're not going to post miles on the car but you should keep up on maintenance. Do you start/run the car often? How often do you drive and how far?
November through March, start daily, round trip to work is 6 miles 5 days a week. Figure another 30 miles on weekends running errands, infrequent longer trips. Basically 60 miles a week those months. Very much stop start city driving and I do warm the engine up before driving. The rest of the year, work commute miles increase to 175 miles a week, with some longer 200+ mile trips thrown in monthly. Those months I am 80% country roads and highway.

·
Registered
194 Posts
webcricket said:
Subir_roo said:
November through March, start daily, round trip to work is 6 miles 5 days a week. Figure another 30 miles on weekends running errands, infrequent longer trips. Basically 60 miles a week those months. Very much stop start city driving and I do warm the engine up before driving. The rest of the year, work commute miles increase to 175 miles a week, with some longer 200+ mile trips thrown in monthly. Those months I am 80% country roads and highway.
The short trip stop start low mileage thing is very hard on oil. It collects moisture and acids and the oil still breaks down. That said, 5-7K miles or once a year with a top grade synthetic is fine. If you want to change it early, 5-5500 miles it's not going to hurt it. I like to keep an eye on the color and consumption. If the oil is clean the inside of the engine will stay clean.

I just found out my dealer does the first three services or two years free of charge. I'll just have them do it a little early and/or unless it gets to inconvenient in which case I would just do it myself. It's easier for me to pickup oil and a filter and do it some weekend morning than try to get to the dealer when they're open and wait for it. I find going to the dealer a frustrating PITA. My cars usually only go if there's something major to fix under warranty. I also know what's going in for oil. I imagine the dealer is using Subaru synthetic...wonder who makes that for them.

The WRX forums say mobile 1 is shiite for the turbo motors. BS. If it's good enough for Mercedes it's good enough for subaru. Amsoil is what I use, it's easy to get and always top quality.

·
Registered
714 Posts
We have extensively tested multiple oils here at work sending samples in to blackstone and would not recommend Mobil1. It does not run well in the boxer motors and these motors consume Mobil1 at a much higher rate than other oils on the market. Not saying it's bad oil, but not at all recommended for Subaru motors (especially the turbo cars). Just because a manufacturer has a deal with an oil company to produce their oil doesn't mean it's good for all motors out there. Read the HUGE thread containing multiple oil analysis reports on Mobil1 on http://www.bobistheoilguy.com that will shed some light on the changes they have made in their oil and the quality.

READ: However, the new motor has yet to be driven significant miles yet with any oil out there so there is no way to be sure how certain oils will preform in these new motors. The above pertains specifically to the EJ series motors.

Also, it's important to remember that the first couple oil changes for any new car is also flushing out some of the assembly lube from the build. I believe Subaru does do a flush at the factory however it will take some driving and oil pressure to remove all that lube so you may get some interesting looking oil at your first change.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Hearing and reading this about moble1 is a bit disturbing.... But I thank you for the insight.

What brand do you recommend? I have been running mobile1 synthetic in all my vehicles for quite a few years.

Maybe it's time for a change. I don't want to run into problems later on

FYI... Wife drives the XV daily. 7 miles round trip to work. We use will be using it more in the winter months (just about I've now) but my jeep goes topless and doorless all summer until october and we use it a lot in the hot season.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
A NA engine is much easier on oil than one with a turbo charger. It's not a super high-revving one either. That said, 20wt oil is very thin, which bothers me, so I'll be running 0-30 in mine. If it has the same ratings then it offers a little better film strength. The thinner oil is spec'd to derrive the very best epa figures possible.

Normally I like to halve a manufacturers OCI recommendation. The subarus are pretty short at 7500 anyway, so 5-6K makes sense with a good synthetic. Some of the newer cars are 10-15K and I think that's just too long unless you're going to lab test it as you go out to the longest intervals. I'm sure Amsoil can do it no problem, but I would still test it so I knew. Blackstone can tell you a lot about what's happening to your oil as it gets used up. I've seen what the inside of a motor looks like with long OCI's. Mercedes has been sued over their super long OCI's and prematurely worn out engines.

Transmissions are another mechanism that wears out its lubricant and then the thing just eats itself to death. Drivers overheat their tranny or neglect to change the fluid and then the thing is shot before it's time. BMW has 'lifetime' ATF. Yeah right, lifetime is about 100K miles. If you service the trans like any other it will last twice as long. I noticed subaru has pretty short trans service intervals too. And that's a good thing.

Personally I think Subaru builds a quality product and then recommends appropriate service for it so it lasts.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Xtrekr said:
What brand do you recommend? I have been running mobile1 synthetic in all my vehicles for quite a few years.

Maybe it's time for a change. I don't want to run into problems later on

FYI... Wife drives the XV daily. 7 miles round trip to work. We use will be using it more in the winter months (just about I've now) but my jeep goes topless and doorless all summer until october and we use it a lot in the hot season.
I doubt you're going to "run into problems later on" by running Mobil1.

Amsoil has always been top-tier and is my favorite. I have five cars, a RV and four motorcycles. Oil changes keep me busy. And they make a product for almost every application so I find that convenient. I order what I need and it arrives at my door step the next day. If I wander into Walmart and they don't have what I need or the shelf is empty, then it's just a PITA.

Other good brands are Redline, Motul, Shell, Castrol. Amsoil is one of the few with a PAO base which is argued to be the best. But for a little 4-banger non-turbo it's not so critical. Just make sure it has a gf-4 or 5 rating. If you're really worried about it then buy the Subaru oil from the dealer. Surely it's a good product, and from what I hear about average price - about $8 a quart. All of the top synthetics are going to run about that price, some are more. Mobile1 is probly a little less for the 'trek.

Isn't Subaru paying for the first three oil changes anyway? Or did I just get fed a line of BS????

1 - 20 of 43 Posts