Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I need to perform my first oil change on our Crosstrek and need some helpful advise (Telling to take it to the dealer isn't helpful.. So if you are going to say that.. Don't waste your time..).

The number 1 thing I'm most worried is about is draining the correct fluid as I heard someone drained their tranny fluid instead of the engine oil and I don't want that to happen to me! lol.

Does anyone know the location of the drain plug since it sounds like they are pretty close to each other? Thanks!

·
Registered
714 Posts
As long as you're careful you should be able to tell. It's pretty clear on my car. The oil pan is in front of the front cross member, trans is behind.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked under finally.. Is it the angled reservoir covered by the plastic cowl underneath the engine near the back of the cowl?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I think you're on the right track. It should be under the plastic cowl, in front of the front cross member. The oil pan is all black with the drain plug on the side at a slight angle.

·
Registered
148 Posts
^^^ CCT is right there with the pic. Looks weird from that angle.

The tightening torque is 30.8 ft-lbs. You may want to get a new drain plug gasket too as it should be replaced every oil change. Usually when you take the plug off for the first time, the gasket will be stuck to plug or the pan. In my experience it has always been the plug. Carefully pry it off and you are good to go.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Surprisingly enough... I took our XV to the dealer for the first oil change ( I had a coupon ) 8) .

While I was there... I bought 3 oil filters... about $7 each and the 3 oil plug gaskets for $1.98 each. I was surprised to find out that they didn't use a nylon washer.

Have you decided on what brand of oil you will use?

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you have a few days yet before you do your oil change, go to Amazon and buy a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve. It will make all your future oil changes much easier, and cleaner. Not going to expand on what it is, just google it up, read about it, and make your own decision. I'v had one on every vehicle I've owned for the past 15 years. Usually the first thing I order when I get a new car.
As for oil....everyone has their own opinions, and no matter what you use, some"expert" will give you his opinion as to why you should not use it, but you should use "his" brand. Just remember to choose a major brand of synthetic. There are only 5 major companies that refine oil for base stocks, and all the independent companies like Pennzoil, Castoroil, ect ect buy from them. Subi doen not make its own oil but gets it from the lowest bidder that can make it to Subi's standards.
Just get a good brand, use Subaru filters and maintain a regular oil change routine.
Again, just my 2 cents worth, and my opinion.
Grumpaw

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I realized that was it after some research, thanks for the pic!.. I went to my Subaru Dealer and got the "Blue" filter and they gave me two crush washers (The guy couldn't remember the size for the Crosstrek.. lol).

I used Mobil 0W-20 Full Synthetic (5 quarts).

The two strange things I ran into was is I couldn't find the old crush washer when I removed the drain plug I spend probably 20 minutes looking over both the drain hole and drain plug and couldn't get anything to come off and it wasn't in my pan I use for my old oil either... The only possible thing that could have happened was that it flew off because I was surprised at the flow rate of the oil coming out of the drain hole, lol.

The other thing was, if anyone didn't know.. Is that the original oil filter (black one) is slightly larger in diameter than the blue one.. Just enough for my ratchet oil filter tool not to fit around it. I had to makeshift something so I could get it off...

Other than that, everything went smooth and now instead of taking 2 hours to change the oil next time it should only take about 30-40 minutes, haha.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Grumpaw said:
If you have a few days yet before you do your oil change, go to Amazon and buy a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve. It will make all your future oil changes much easier, and cleaner. Not going to expand on what it is, just google it up, read about it, and make your own decision. I'v had one on every vehicle I've owned for the past 15 years. Usually the first thing I order when I get a new car.
As for oil....everyone has their own opinions, and no matter what you use, some"expert" will give you his opinion as to why you should not use it, but you should use "his" brand. Just remember to choose a major brand of synthetic. There are only 5 major companies that refine oil for base stocks, and all the independent companies like Pennzoil, Castoroil, ect ect buy from them. Subi doen not make its own oil but gets it from the lowest bidder that can make it to Subi's standards.
Just get a good brand, use Subaru filters and maintain a regular oil change routine.
Again, just my 2 cents worth, and my opinion.
Grumpaw
I read up on those Grumpaw but I heard some horror stories too.. But after seeing how everything underneath the X-Trek is setup (with the plastic cowl basically covering everything and having the oil drain plug recessed up into it) I might go with this option on my next change.. Maybe even get one for my Mini Cooper..

·
Registered
714 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out well for you! It's certainly possible that the crush washer went flying, but as long as you looked for it well and it wasn't there it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The "horror stories" you hear about usually come from someone who has never used a Fumoto valve or has bottomed out their vehicle that it tore the valve off as it does protrude a bit. But....
The vehicle bottomed out so bad that it would have cracked the pan anyway.
The Subi's drain plug does not point straight down, its at an angle.
If you hit it hard enough to knock it off, you've probably damaged the engine anyway.
I run one on my 2007 lowered Mustang GT with no problem, and it's much, much lower than our XV's.
Grumpaw

·
Registered
820 Posts
Good for you bkosh ;). Changing your own oil has so many benefits. You have control over how "full" your oil is. Should never be overfilled of course. I have taken to dealers in a pinch only to have them overfill and then say" oh, a little is ok". And maybe a "little"is but I want mine EXACT! You also won't have someone stripping out your oil pan drain plug. The product Grumpaw describes is entirely legitimate and safe to use. Either way is fine, just don't over torque anything and CHECK it a couple times in the days following a change....Make sure you oil plug is not seeping and that your level is where you want it. Biggest issue, if you can call it that, is disposal. I have two containers I use and sometimes when they get full, I dump them into a 5 gallon bucket, which then makes it more difficult to transport to my local parts store which accepts it for recycle. Just don't be a lazy butt like me and dispose of everytime and you won't accumulate oil all over your garage!

Just having the satisfaction of knowing you've done the work is enough for me. You will become more and more familiar with your car and soon you'll want to do all the work to all your mechanicals. It grows on you like that.....enjoy 8)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I started doing my own oil changes with my Mini Cooper because I found out I don't trust those VIOC places with a car like that (Imports seem to be different than Domestic vehicles in that way for some reason) and the Stealer.. eerr.. Dealership wanted 110 bucks to perform it!

So I figured the same with the Subie as my dealer wants 80 bucks a pop to perform a oil change when I can do it myself for 50-60 dollars.

I have one 5 gallon bucket I use for all the oil and take it to Autozone when I need to recycle it which isn't a problem for me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Reason the Quicky Lubie and dealers charge so much is because of the word "synthetic". They buy it in bulk and than rape you when you come in. If your capable of doing your own, do it.
As much as I hate to go there, Wal Mart has the best prices on all the brands of synthetic. I usually wait till there is a sale and pick up my favorite brand, which comes in 5 quart containers. Usually pay about $24 to $26 or so for it. Kick in another $7 for a Subi filter and your set. I usually stock up on oil when it's on sale as I'm changing 4 vehicles, but it's well worth it. And, as others have said, you'll know exactly what and how much of the good stuff is going into your XV.
As far as filters, I do use Subi filters. At one time I did try a well known aftermarket brand, twice and both times it leaked from the seal. Seems the aftermarket filters use a seal that is flat on it's edge where it mates with the engine. The Subi filters use what looks like a big rubber "O" ring to seal it. and it apparently does a good job. 6 Subie's and many, many oil changes and I've never had one leak.
Grumpaw

·
Registered
820 Posts
Funny you mention leaking Grumpaw. My blue colored Subaru oil filter leaks enough to leave a little oil, about 1/16 inch around the filter itself....in the circular tub. I stopped by the dealer and asked the service manager about it and he said he's been seeing it. Have you? The black colored filter that came on originally didn't leak. Nor did its black replacement. Now that they've changed to blue- problem. At least on mine. I've tightened it/ loosened it...etc. Like I said, not a large amount by any means but unusual to the eye.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'll be doing my first change on the XV in about another 300 miles. I stocked up on filters at the dealer, and did notice the filters for the XV are different than those for the 2.5 Outbacks my wife's 2010 uses. Have never had a problem with factory filters leaking on the 5 Outbacks we've owned. I will definitely be checking the XV daily to make sure it's not leaking.
Grumpaw

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did notice the old black filter is a bit wider than the blue one.. I bought a attachment that attaches to my ratchet and it didn't fit the black one as it was too big, albeit just barely.. Thought that was strange...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just did my first oil change today on my XV. Thank to everyone for warning about where the oil plug is located. It was really obvious which plug was for the transmission and engine oil, but I have rebuilt many engines and transmissions not new to this game. I could see if you get in a hurry and do not take the time to look where you could remove the wrong one.

Some tricks and tips for the everyone:

1. Not sure or a little nervous changing oil the first time. Break loose the oil plug with a wrench and then slowly with your fingers remove the plug and it will start to drip and you should be able to tell if it is motor oil or something else.

2. Received this tip from and oil rep. use regular oil on the gasket of the oil filter. Synthetic oil is very slipper and may not seal tightly causing some seepage around the oil filter.

3. May not be a crush washer on the oil plug because the factory may have used a glue to seal the plug. You will have to use a crush washer beginning with the first oil change. Found this out from a mechanic I know at a new car dealership.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts