Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to replace my 2013's battery. I'm thinking about an Optima yellow top but wonder if it will fit without modification. Anyone have experience with these?

·
Registered
389 Posts
They have standard fit sizes I believe. Also you might want to consider a glass mat battery. Cheaper and almost as good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello to everyone, and happy quarantine.
So this battery you are replaced is the original one from 2013?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a red top in my ‘13 and just put one in my wife’s Mazda 3 as well, optimas come with a plastic piece the covers the whole top, you will need to use that piece and put it under the battery to make it as tall as the stock battery. But it fits fine without it too, just the hold downs are threaded really far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roberto: I bought the car in 2018 with 86K miles already on it, so I doubt it's the original battery. The current one failed a load test, so I'm replacing it before I get stranded.

808soobie: Thanks for the info, that's what I wanted to know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Roberto: I bought the car in 2018 with 86K miles already on it, so I doubt it's the original battery. The current one failed a load test, so I'm replacing it before I get stranded.

Good to know, mine is a 2016 and is starting to show its age. An Optima battery is in my radar now.
Thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
2015 here - and use the RedTop with the cover under it as explained earlier.. original battery by Panasonic! See thru case and small - blew me away , believe i kept it cuz i couldn’t believe what i saw lol.. anyway my went dead after i fell asleep in back with seats down and A/C on . Was summer and i was dead tired.. i recall my car shutting down to protect the battery as its supposed to- tho i started the aux only back up with a/c again and soon after i shut it down and went in the house to bed- woke to dead battery in morning- replaced with red top and never an issue again !! I don’t do that anymore tho also but still my point is - redtop is way to go.. i am often in the high desert on forest service roads and roads of my own so failure is not an option- spend the extra you’ll get what you pay for!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Glad my info helped you out! Haven’t had an issue with mine or my wife’s red top. Mines getting close to 2 years old

·
Registered
76 Posts
I recently installed an Odyssey Extreme. Very happy with it. Better reviews than the Optima yellow top...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just sharing so others know what to expect - I opted to change my OEM battery from 9/2016 which was still going strong save one slow start - initially installed an Optima Red Top D35 - then decided the Yellow Top would be better for my stereo and camera/monitor/alarm needs - the D34/78 (all O'Reilly's had) fit perfectly in the OEM snuggy - but the cables required some bending (not necessarily recommended) based on the placement of the terminals - images below - I'll look into the Odyssey next - sounds awesome

·
Registered
389 Posts
Beware that Canadian tire doesn’t stock them, only lists them, as a lost leader. When you get there they try to sell you their in house glass mat battery.
So if you’re planning on getting one order it in advance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts