Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I actually have a 2003 Impreza Outback Sport and was thinking about doing the same thing a while back (before Crosstrek came along). Either that or the Forester springs/struts swap which is a suspension lift rather than the body lift you get with the spacers.

If I understand right, however, spacers do increase the ground clearance by 1", and with bigger tires (possible with spacers) you can get almost 2" more clearance. At least that's what I understand from research and this thread specifically:

http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20697
the spacers aren't like a body lift on a 4x4. strut spacers will actually raise the frame of the car as well, they just wont add any suspension travel.
I say give it a try. They are supposedly SUPER easy to install!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ClubCrosstrek said:
I actually have a 2003 Impreza Outback Sport and was thinking about doing the same thing a while back (before Crosstrek came along). Either that or the Forester springs/struts swap which is a suspension lift rather than the body lift you get with the spacers.

If I understand right, however, spacers do increase the ground clearance by 1", and with bigger tires (possible with spacers) you can get almost 2" more clearance. At least that's what I understand from research and this thread specifically:

http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20697
the spacers aren't like a body lift on a 4x4. strut spacers will actually raise the frame of the car as well, they just wont add any suspension travel.
I say give it a try. They are supposedly SUPER easy to install!
yeah, I am thinking I am going to do it. If/when I do I will be sure to post some pictures and my thoughts!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I can't edit my post, so here's what I mean.

The rears . . .

The fronts. . .

Go out to your wagon, put your hand in between the top corner of the rear tire and the top of the strut. (spring perch) You'll not you can just barely fit your finger in there with the 205/55/16. A tire bigger than 215/60/16 is pretty much out of the question.

Look at the strut pics above, note that one is clearly longer below the spring perch, allowing for taller tires. I took these before installing them in my 91 legacy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts