Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and shopping for a 2021 Crosstrek. I searched the forums but didn't find an answer. My local dealer posts the following in fine print on their site:

"Prices shown do not include tax, tag, title, $198 Electronic Filing Fee and dealer pre-delivery service fee in the amount of $899 which charge represents cost and profit to the dealer for items such as cleaning, inspecting and adjusting new and used vehicles and preparing documents related to the sale."
This sounds like a typical "Additional Dealer Markups" rip off.

Has anyone found this to be common practice with Subaru dealers?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not just Subaru dealers - almost all makes in certain areas of the country. I’ve never seen one QUITE as high as the one quoted, but have seen in the $700 range.
in my opinion it’s nothing more than additional dealer profit.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I got no deals on my 2018 Ltd. I also got a subpar trade-in value.
Too bad Subaru has become “bougie”, so they cost more than the competition.
Yet an amazingly safe and agile vehicle, still worth it.
Subaru should buy up it’s dealer network and run it like Levi’s or Mac. I hate mysterious pricing, have you seen some leasing agreements?
I got one of the first shipments, literally buying it off the boat on its way to Vancouver. The car is now meticulously broken in and performing beautifully.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's more of a state-by-state issue than a dealer or manufacturer issue. Each state has their own laws and restrictions (or lack of restriction) on what dealers are allowed to charge as a doc fee. Judging by the figures you're sharing, I would guess you're maybe in Florida?

I work for a Subaru retailer in Utah and our doc fee is $269 and we don't have an electronic filing fee. Some dealers have those "additional dealer markup" fees that are a bunch of crap but a doc fee isn't just fluff and, at least in Utah, if we charge it to one customer we're required to charge it to all of our customers.

Here's a link showing some dealer doc fees state by state: Car Dealer Fees by State 2021

·
Registered
33 Posts
That pre-delivery fee is called a "destination fee" other places and I would definitely consider it negotiable.
Their is real work hours involved in pulling the plastic paint cover and going through the fluids and possibly adjusting fit and trim of door panels and such. However $900 seems steep.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Depends on the amount of competition. I have two Subaru dealers within 15 miles of each other owned by the same franchise and it was easy to get my last two Crosstreks for below invoice with no dealer extra. I just went back and forth twice with the best offers of each and they try to do better. I would suggest going forward with the deal and just when the finance guy asks for signatures, get up and walk out.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I’m in Canada in Ontario. My lease has no written buy out procedure. In the lease it says something like refer to apendix 4. But there is only 3 appendices, not 4.
All I wanted to do was to pay Toyota Canada what was owed (the credit agency) but they insisted I go through Buds and they (Toyota) wouldn’t sum my debt for me.
I called buds and it was like they where making it up as they went. They essentially where renegotiating the purchase price.
I can’t believe we signed this junk paper!
Anybody know a friendly contract lawyer who wants a good laugh?
Yes Subaru Dealerships Suck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm new here and shopping for a 2021 Crosstrek. I searched the forums but didn't find an answer. My local dealer posts the following in fine print on their site:

"Prices shown do not include tax, tag, title, $198 Electronic Filing Fee and dealer pre-delivery service fee in the amount of $899 which charge represents cost and profit to the dealer for items such as cleaning, inspecting and adjusting new and used vehicles and preparing documents related to the sale."

I bought a Subaru Crosstrek up in Orlando about a month-and-a-half ago. The rule in negotiating is, if it is taxable it is negotiable! They wanted a $600 dealer prep fee and 199 electronic documents processing. I told him the dealer prep fee is ridiculous because it is already covered elsewhere and part of their cost of doing business to prep a vehicle and watch it if they need to. Tell them if they didn't want to lose the sale they needed to get that gun or reduce it to a maximum of $100. They did. They tried to say that the $199 electronic filing fee was a state-mandated amount. My comeback was if it's worth losing the sale to not reduce that document filing fee to $75 then go ahead and lose the sale I don't care. Mission accomplished! Keep reminding yourself, if it is taxable it is negotiable!

·
Registered
17 Posts

I bought my Subaru through True Car and it was the best car buying experience I have ever had. I compare buying a car at a dealer to going to the dentist. I didn't have to do anything except enter the car I was looking for and my telephone number and email address. It took about 5 minutes for the calls to start coming. No pressure, no hassles. No sales manager pressure. All the calls were from dealers within 75 miles and they were bidding against each other. I don't remember the exact numbers but it was around $3000 off of sticker price including taxes. I was pleased and I assure you I will use the same service the next time. There are quite a few online buying services so I assume most would be the same. The lowest price was from the local dealer where I had visited several times. All of the dealers are in fear of direct to user sellers such as Tesla. I read this week that combustion engine cars will not be sold after 2035. It's a changing world out there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts