Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a number of paint chips in the hood of my car. It appears to be exposed metal. Is there a protective clearcoat they put underneath or do I need to get these touched up right away to keep it from rusting?

nashrock

·
Registered
31 Posts
If it's shinny its bare metal, but the hood is Aluminium, so no rust.

No there is no such "protective coating" under paint, just Primer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 2015 got a chip in the hood, it is not aluminum, had to remove the rust before touching up the paint.

To clarify, I would be surprised if the hood of the CT is indeed aluminum.

I am guilty of just reading the above post and I thought...........that's odd......... I didn't know this or read it anywhere else but perhaps it is true. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Steel on my '13. Dealer installed a urethane "clear bra" when I bought it. We live on a gravel road. Good investment.

I did not opt for a clear bra on the CT when it was new. Now that I have read about the 'soft' Subaru paint, I suppose I should have. It only has 2600 miles and very few nicks so I could still go that route I suppose.

I did have a clear bra installed on our Honda S2000.

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts
That's how I checked too ;)

Beings that this is my third Subaru, first new car ever, I decided to clear bra it from the get go.

Whole front clip (hood, bumper, fenders)
A-pillars
first 4-5 inches of the roof above the windshield
first 4-5 inches from the bottom of the doors
whole rear quarter

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's how I checked too ;)

Beings that this is my third Subaru, first new car ever, I decided to clear bra it from the get go.

Whole front clip (hood, bumper, fenders)
A-pillars
first 4-5 inches of the roof above the windshield
first 4-5 inches from the bottom of the doors
whole rear quarter
Wow, may I ask what the cost was for that? And also did the dealer do that install?

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts