Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there's so much chat about the weak paint on the Crosstrek, I would appreciate any suggestions on what to do to add a layer of protection to the paint. I'm not opposed to going to a detailer to get it done since I'm not that handy. My dealer tried to sell me some Simonize crap for $400, but I said no way. I'm picking up my car on Tuesday, so is it too soon to protect the paint? Is it cured? Thanks.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Hey PrompterBob,
You definitely don't want to use anything that has silicone in it for the first 60-90 days post build date which should be found on your door frame. This ( silicone) will trap chemicals that would otherwise slowly leave your paints' surface during that initial time period and can potentially flatten the appearance of your paint. Basically, less is more until paint is cured. No automatic car washes either- the paint is "soft" initially and brushes can damage it very quickly. Factory paint also takes longer to cure if you live in a exceptionally humid or cold environment. If you wait 4- 6 months from purchase you will definitely be safe to then treat your paint with wax or a product of choice. Until then, hand wash with a mild car wash solution. Hope this info helps!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RubySu - Thanks for the sage advice. I'll definitely wait a few months until I do anything. In the meantime, I'll just be real gentle with the exterior.

I was looking over my 2005 Subaru Forester and considering it's 8 years old, the paint is in excellent shape. Some minor scratches and scrapes here and there, but nothing terrible. I have never waxed it and I only washed it a few times a year. No rust anywhere. Guess the paint back then was much better than the stuff they're using now. Maybe I'm just being too paranoid about the new car. You read all the stuff on the various forums and it's easy to become a car hypochondriac. LOL.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I can sympathize with you bob about being a car hypochondriac. Maybe its because this is the first new car I've ever purchased, but I find myself constantly looking up information on washing, waxing, preventative maintenance, etc. Im in the process of coming up with a grocery list of what I need to start washing and waxing myself. I even keep catching myself giving my 2000 altima looks of disappointment in how I've let it get dirty inside and out. Its bound to benefit from my new found zeal for cleanliness too!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AlexAlejan said:
I can sympathize with you bob about being a car hypochondriac. Maybe its because this is the first new car I've ever purchased, but I find myself constantly looking up information on washing, waxing, preventative maintenance, etc. Im in the process of coming up with a grocery list of what I need to start washing and waxing myself. I even keep catching myself giving my 2000 altima looks of disappointment in how I've let it get dirty inside and out. Its bound to benefit from my new found zeal for cleanliness too!
One thing I promise myself not to do in my new car is eating and drinking...

·
Registered
820 Posts
Oh I couldn't commit to that- I have to have my caffeine in the morning! And, i confess, i will throw down a Whopper when im driving up to the mountains- i know, i know, shame on me! I just create my own little napkin blanket and try not to slop up myself or the cloth seat! My wife can't believe I do it either because I am kind of picky about keeping my cars spotless. ::)

·
Registered
89 Posts
So it's not only me. Now that winter (I think) is over, I was beginning to see the shine in my car again, then upon closer look, I saw these little scratches here and there. My car is red, so the scratches appear white and thin as hair, about half an inch long. You'll only see it when you get really close to the car. You won't see it from even 3 feet away.

It left me wondering, where did they come from? My car is garaged and I don't drive it to work. I found a couple around the gas tank area, and sorry folks, I'm from New Jersey and we are not allowed to pump our own gas, so I cannot control that. I also had my car washed a couple of times during the winter just to get rid of the salt. I also found some scratches above the window, just a very weird spot to get scratches, so I thought, could it be from the brush of the car wash?

Also, after having the car for a month, I was holding my keys as I opened the passenger door and accidentally "keyed" my own car. I did leave a very small scratch but I thought, that was hardly a strong scratch and would have done nothing in any of my previous cars. So now this talk about weak paint. I'm a tad disappointed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perhaps class action lawsuit or recall? I hear Subaru has been quiet about the paint problem. What does the 5 year paint warranty cover? Sorry but I'm getting my car tomorrow so I don't have the manual and such yet.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
prompterbob said:
Perhaps class action lawsuit or recall? I hear Subaru has been quiet about the paint problem. What does the 5 year paint warranty cover? Sorry but I'm getting my car tomorrow so I don't have the manual and such yet.
Any Subaru manual from model year 2000 onwards can be digitally read and/or downloaded here at Subaru of America's Resource Center

http://www.subaru.com/owners/resource-center/owners-manuals/index.html

So you don't have to run to your glovebox all the time to look up a small thing.

·
Registered
820 Posts
prompterbob said:
I may be wrong but I really don't think it's a paint "problem" per se. All paints come from the factory semi-uncured and need 90 days or so to cure/ harden. This is true of any new paint job from any manufacturer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am starting to accidentally scratch my red paint pretty easily.. is there a touch up recommendation?

·
Registered
347 Posts
SpaceCasey said:
I am starting to accidentally scratch my red paint pretty easily.. is there a touch up recommendation?
Subaru sells touch up paint that matches your colors, not sure of the price but I've seen it for sale in the parts dept of my dealer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts