Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha,

I'd like to paint black the silver corner trim on either side of the lower front bumper. Does anyone know how to remove these on my 2019 Hybrid? Also, removing the fog light bezel might work.

I can put a fingernail under the silver piece, but am reluctant to just insert a putty knife and lever until something gives.

Thanks!

Paul Christiansen

Automotive parking light Grille Hood Tire Wheel

·
Registered
2019 crosstrek
62 Posts
Aloha,

I'd like to paint black the silver corner trim on either side of the lower front bumper. Does anyone know how to remove these on my 2019 Hybrid? Also, removing the fog light bezel might work.

I can put a fingernail under the silver piece, but am reluctant to just insert a putty knife and lever until something gives.

Thanks!

Paul Christiansen

View attachment 11009
It’s going to be hard for paint to stick to that. Need to sand it in order for it to stick right, kind of seems like waste of time/will almost start to chip instantly from driving 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Followup: Turns out this is quite easy. The fog light bezel is held in with tabs, just start pulling and it will detach. The silver trim is held in place by 3 screws. I removed the screws, sanded the silver piece (it's just painted), and used an automotive grade flat black with primer. Looks great!

I didn't paint the chrome fog light frames. The chrome is very hard and doesn't sand easily, I was afraid it would peel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Followup: Turns out this is quite easy. The fog light bezel is held in with tabs, just start pulling and it will detach. The silver trim is held in place by 3 screws. I removed the screws, sanded the silver piece (it's just painted), and used an automotive grade flat black with primer. Looks great!

I didn't paint the chrome fog light frames. The chrome is very hard and doesn't sand easily, I was afraid it would peel.
And before and after pictures?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Above is a before, here is an after.

Looks so good, I'm looking at the silver trim under the front bumper and side doors. If I can get the pieces off, painting is easy; otherwise, have to mask and paint in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts

Looks so good, I'm looking at the silver trim under the front bumper and side doors. If I can get the pieces off, painting is easy; otherwise, have to mask and paint in place.
Great now it looks just like my 2021 Crosstrek! LOL

·
Registered
15 Posts

Interesting looks really nice. . .I have a silver 2019 Crosstrek Premium they're completely black. I thought of having my painted to match the color of car but then I'd have to be concerned with chipping. They sell complete textured black fog lamp housing on Ebay for $35 per side. I'd look for used rocker panel and paint those. that way when the paint starts chipping or peeling you can resort back to your OEM parts:rolleyes:just saying; good luck with your search!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts